1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warren's S5 Build Thread

Discussion in 'A5/S5/RS5 Forum' started by warren_S5, May 22, 2014.

1. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member

Oh yeah ... I put my auto lights on the lowest setting as they do come on a bit too early for me even on lowest but as Shrek says it's not really a problem as such is it.

Coming home lights yeah I adjusted those as stayed on too long initially for me.

All tweaks you do and then forget aren't they.
    warren_S5 likes this.
  2. Shrek5

Shrek5 Well-Known Member

Aha! Just spotted the name change to - another mod done. ;)
    Sandra and warren_S5 like this.
  3. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Been doing more mods today too!

V6T badges gone, fog lights are now match headlight beams, wheel spacers are on, hubs are painted and the 034 mount is on.

Nearly got crushed under the car as the rubber jack puck I purchased split and the car dropped just minutes after I got out from under it! That would have been a good start to the BH weekend!

Shrek, you have to consider the 034 mount group buy, it makes the shifts literally imperceptible. Subtle but lovely mod. 15 minutes to fit, I'll put the pics up later.

Get over for a coffee soon and you can chew the cud over the mods and see whether they float your boat or not!
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    Cuppa likes this.
  4. Cuppa

Cuppa Active Member

Good to hear. I fitted mine yesterday and it made a huge difference to the feel of the shifts. I got the shipment today so have plenty here sat in a box.
    Sandra likes this.
  5. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

Name change was always going to happen, lol. That should of been the first mod for our very own moderator. Lol. :) x
    DAYTONA500 and warren_S5 like this.
  6. warren_S5

6) 034 Transmission Mount: £58 Cuppa (Fitting - reasonably easy - 15 minutes)

So as it's done nothing but rain I decided the driest place to be was under the car. So I got the jack out and jacked up the drivers side and slid under to see whether it was as easy as everyone says it is.

Here's a pic of the original set up
    [​IMG]

You have to undo the 2 splined bolts which takes a while due to the length of the threads on the bolts.

You then replace the brace on the OEM one with the 034 billet piece and re-bolt it up:

[​IMG]

And 15 minutes later jobs a good'un!

[​IMG]

However it wasn't all smooth running, half way through the job I head a bang (thankfully whilst I was out of the car). When I got back under the car I thought it seemed low. This is why!!!

[​IMG]

The jack puck split half way through the job, but no harm done.

The good news is gear changes are now even more imperceptible than they were before, and the quick changes just feel that bit sharper (I've tested it going to Halfrauds as I ran out of copper grease).
    Cuppa likes this.
  7. warren_S5

7) Fog light colour coding - Trups EM Tuning £15 (Fitting: easy - 5 minutes per side)

[​IMG]

Next job was to get rid of the manky yellow fog lights. I'd heard this was another easy job (as you'll be seeing from most of the mods so far they're all pretty quick and easy), and the hardest part is getting in the car and putting the steering on full lock to each side to give clearance to each respective fog light.

[​IMG]

So get yourself a T25 Torx driver and undo 2 arch liner screws nearest the bottom outer edge of the arch liner. The arch liner is like a carpet type material and can be folded back to get access to the fog light unit.

[​IMG]

So you'll need to unclip the loom plug using a sharp flat blade screwdriver (or your nails if you have any), then turn the fog light ¼ turn and remove. Then it's just a case of going the other way to place.

Pic of the original bulb (these never photograph well)

[​IMG]

And then once it's been changed

[​IMG]

Then same for the other side and you're done.
    Snake Pliskin likes this.
  8. warren_S5

Got rid of the slightly curious V6T badges this morning.

Considering they haven't been on long they were a pain in the arse to remove. Bit of dental floss to remove and I went from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

After MUCH fannying about and soaking in much spirits (about 15-20 minutes per side) we ended up with clean wings:

[​IMG]

A boring, unpleasant job, and I couldn't even fit the new Supercharger badges as it started to rain really heavily so they won't be going on until the weather improves.

UPDATE:

Got the badges on now. Used the template located here: http://www.europaparts.com/misc/docs/SuperchargedBadgeTemplate.pdf

The one on the passengers side went on a treat, but the other one didn't seem to sit right so I had to do other checks. It's key to ignore the horizontal line on the wing crease and align to the door shut. Then use a spirit level to ensure they are flat to the ground (e.g. 0 degrees) rather than aligned to the wing as they'd look wonky. If you need any more tips PM me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    ScottD3 likes this.
  9. DAYTONA500

DAYTONA500 Well-Known Member

If your home hifi has a steering wheel,engine and can be driven from place to place at speed :think:then indeed its good to compare it against the B&O in that fine automobile of yours ,if it hasn't then theres no comparison.:whistle2:
    Shrek5 and warren_S5 like this.
  10. Cuppa

Cuppa Active Member

I found WD40 great at removing this
  11. warren_S5

The spacers are now on (HR Trax 10mm per side on front, 15mm per side on rear). Nothing more complex than removing the wheels and refitting them with spacers on and longer bolts.

Not the best photos of before and after as it was pissing it down, but whereas there was some gopping arch gap, now the wheels sit far closer to the edge of the arches. I hate it when the wheels look tucked under. Only problem is it still looks like it needs lowering....

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Got to take it out and drive it tonight to see if I get any wheel wobble. Hopefully not as the hubs were clean and the spacers were 'as new'.
  12. Cuppa

Cuppa Active Member

Would agree
    warren_S5 likes this.
  13. Shrek5

Shrek5 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's because it's black or just the angle you're taking the photos from but it looks like there is quite a gap between the wheel and the arch!
    warren_S5 likes this.
  14. warren_S5

I'm hoping as the suspension settles it drops a touch....????
  15. warren_S5

10) Supercharged Badges on (£36 - Crewe Audi EBay store)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally the rain abated and I was able to dry the wings and use a paint prep wipe to clear off all the **** from removing the V6T badges.

I got some templates of t'interweb to help align the badges, then set to getting the badges mounted. Being solid black the car just feels slightly lifted for having some contrast colour badging on its sides.

Now if you use the templates the one thing to ALWAYS keep in mind is align the template to the door leading edge shut line NOT the arch swage, otherwise your badges will follow the crease not sit flat.

Template: http://www.europaparts.com/misc/docs/SuperchargedBadgeTemplate.pdf

I double checked with a spirit level to make sure they were flat and popped them on.

I'll do a full on side shot when the car is clean. Having taken the wheels off today they're filthy and the car looks awful.
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    ScottD3, Snake Pliskin and DAYTONA500 like this.
  16. Louay

Louay Well-Known Member

Hi Warren, cars alright ;)

Did you send Autostyle the S5 logo and is it the largest permissible size of 125mm x 60mm on your mats as it states on their site?

k regards

Lou
    warren_S5 likes this.
  17. warren_S5

I sent them the logo but I'm not convinced they used the one I sent. It looks very similar but slightly thinner font. I think they make the logo fit the template size unless you request otherwise.
    Louay likes this.
  18. Snake Pliskin

Meant to ask Warren ... What brand of tyres has you car been shod with ?

I got the Dunlops which I was not over happy about as not heard great things about them ... But they appear ok so far and better than the rubbish Toyo's my last Audi came with.

I know Shrek got Conti's so will be interesting to hear what you got a few months on now.
  19. warren_S5

The heinous ditch finders otherwise known as Pirelli P-Zero's (not sure if they're Rosso or Nero) but I hate them (from experience on other cars)
  20. Snake Pliskin

Crikey so another brand completely then !

Looks like it's just which ever brand is flavour of the month then.
  21. warren_S5

Whoever is selling cheapest on bulks!

I tell you what though, I may hate the tyres, but not as much as the weather. It's drizzled or rained almost endlessly since I bought the car, not been able to go anywhere near a wash mitt or bucket yet. To say it's p*****g me off is probably the understatement of the history since time began!
  22. Snake Pliskin

It is rather ironic isn't it !

It will soon be sunny though - can't keep on raining :)
  23. DAYTONA500

I'm with you on that, Im home now after a week away on holiday and the car is absolutely minging,drove through heavy storms yesterday with thunder and lightening so can't wait to get out and wash the baby theres nothing worse than a dirty car that can't be washed due to weather and to top it all I've got 3 loads of washing /drying to do .:keule:
  24. DAYTONA500

I like the Dunlops i had them on my B8 S4 did 17k miles on them and were still legal when i sold the car,Ive got Contis on the S5 and i was sceptical about them after the problems with them on RS3's but yesterday driving home from holiday through torrential thunder storms the car felt great i was surprised and so I've got no problems with them.
  25. AdamZA

AdamZA Well-Known Member

I got Continentals - strange as you would think they would just stick with one brand...
  26. DAYTONA500

Sticking with one brand could lead to all sorts of problems ,If there was a problem with the supplier like workers on strike or a manufacturing problem they would be F@@ked.
  27. AdamZA

AdamZA Well-Known Member

Good point - I overlooked that.

I had P-Zeros on my BMW and, while I blame the suspension and RFT, I didn't like them due to lack of comfort and what seemed like higher cabin noise - all at a stupidly expensive price.
  28. Keef

Keef Member

When I went to stalk my car at the dealers the other night the first thing I checked was the tyres....phew conti SC 3s.
    All my Audi have come with Contis - my current car is on its second set, got 19k out of the first! done 14k and still have about 4mm left.
    I'm sure I wont see anywhere near that millage in my S4, but have always been impressed with Contis and will stick with them.
  29. Inked

Inked Takin it easy

Had Dunlop's on my A4 and loved them (fronts were due a change when I traded it in after 14.5k miles though).
    Current A5 has Pirelli's on and they seem ok, haven't noticed much difference when pushing it hard since they bedded in.
  30. warren_S5

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally had a bit of a shot at cleaning the old girl this morning. I was out before 6am as the temptation of the sun shining in this dreary country was to great an opportunity to pass up.

Have no photo editing software handy to obscure the plates so just a side **** for now. I've started the process of glossing up the rotors. When they are matte the dirt seems to cling to them and just soak into them, when they're polished they pop a bit more on the car and repel the dirt far better (just a jet wash required to remove the worst).

A light coating of Black Light to repel the worst until it goes in for a full detail at some point in the coming weeks.
    S3Alex, DAYTONA500, Keef and 4 others like this.
  31. Snake Pliskin

Car look ace mate - love it in all black !

Such a lovely sleek Coupe shape the A5 isn't it.

Rained like hell yesterday mine needs washing too now.

More rain due all week though so 'know' it will be the same again in a few days .... why did I not go silver :)
  32. Keef

Keef Member

Looks great mate - bet the neighbours love you jet washing at 6!
    warren_S5 and DAYTONA500 like this.
  33. stetheo

stetheo Member

Cars looking great, the supercharged badges look really good.

It's odd there still seems to be a big arch gap, need some 20s to fill that gap.
  34. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

My god...someone's definitely in love!

6a.m.!!

Looks lovely BTW Warren,and I'm very pleased the day(and car) has arrived.
    warren_S5 and Sandra like this.
  35. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Warren, what a beautiful car!
    warren_S5 likes this.
  36. s3_trev

s3_trev Active Member

Amazing machine mate, already hooked on this thread!
    warren_S5 likes this.
  37. warren_S5

Was out with family yesterday, and whilst out with the nephew taking him out for some time away from the XBOX I managed to grab a couple of cheeky photos of the S5 with a slightly more pleasant background. Not the best as they are phone photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ScottD3, Ash B, Snake Pliskin and 7 others like this.
  38. Inked

Inked Takin it easy

They'll do ;)

Cracking looking car mate!
    warren_S5 likes this.
  39. N4th4n90

N4th4n90 Member

Stunning piece of kit there Warren!! Aboslutely in love! When I saw the first photo I thought you'd photoshopped it on the old Windows background lol
    AdamZA, Inked and warren_S5 like this.
  40. warren_S5

Avon Dassett (between Banbury and Gaydon).