Warranty issue- 18" 20 Spoke wheels

TDI-line

Uber Post Whore
Reaction score
Anyone else had the laquer coming off there BBS alloys?

My car is now 2 years old, and have noticed quite a fair bit coming off when i clean the wheels.

I'll be seeing my local dealer on Friday for a chat about them...

TDI.
Think i may have mentioned this before on some other thread. I had 20 spoke alloys on my TT quattro sport and they badly began to break up. Whether it was the laquer or the alloy finish in general i don't know but i claimed the warranty and all 4 wheels were replaced with no issue.

Don't let the the dealership fob you off on the " its want you've be cleaning the wheels with sir nonsense". Just keep it to "i only wash the wheels with soapy water and a sponge" Mr Audi.

You've probably taken due care and attention of alloys on previous cars with the same cleaning regime so the problems Audi's not yours.

Its simply a warranty issue and they duty bound to replace them.

Strange its the 20 spokes that are an issue. Don't think yours and the TT are quite the same but there you go.

Thanks JJ, that's the advice i was after.

You should have no problem getting them changed under warranty, I got VW to change 2 sets on my MK5 gti and if I'm honest they weren't that bad just minor laquer peel in places, stick to your guns and good luck.

Hmm, interesting - mine are OK at the mo, but will be keeping a close eye on them - thanks for the heads up guys.

Let me know how you get on, I think mine are ok, although stevie wonder has refurbished the rims at some point, are you going to Peterborough or Boston Audi ?

My front drivers side wheel has start to corrode badly, the car is booked into the dealers in 2 wks time so i'll mention it to them and hopefully they will change it for me.

a friend of mine has a polo gti 6n2 which had factory fitted bbs 15" alloys.he also has some minor problems with them(paint loss)

Update.

Had the warranty guy look over the wheels at Peterborough Audi about a week ago, he could visibly see the laquer peeling away and the corrosion that had set in already. I also pointed out on an 08 sportback with the same wheels how the laquer was coming away from a brand new car! And mine being 2 years and 2 months.

I did explain that i had only owned the car for the last 5 months and i had had the car supaguarded too, and had only used there supaguard products to clean the car.

He then simply ordered the wheels, hoping they would just go through the system.

And today, 3 new wheels changed under warranty.

The fourth wheel hasn't shown any defects yet, but will be keeping a good eye out.

Thats a good result then. I tried Huntingdon Audi yesterday for a door handle fix, i'm still awaitng there returned call ... perhaps I should just go to peterborough. Have they got there car display sorted yet ?

Is it not Huntingdon that David R always says are great and has bought his last 427 A3s from?

Thats a good result then. I tried Huntingdon Audi yesterday for a door handle fix, i'm still awaitng there returned call ... perhaps I should just go to peterborough. Have they got there car display sorted yet ?

Still building work going on, but business is as usual.