Warranty Claim - Advice Needed!

russwuss

Reaction score
Hi All,

Would like someone's opinion on a warranty claim the parents are trying to get approved for their 1.4 TSI Golf 170.

Bit of background:

Car started rattling really loudly when first started in the morning and running really rough - as if it wanted to cut out.

Parents rang the warranty company who said take it to our approved garage (Chesterfield Halfords Autocentre) for a diagnostic check.

Dropped the car off last Monday, rang halfords up on Tuesday who claimed they hadn't even looked at the car yet - asked us to call back on Wednesday. Called Wednesday and halfords said 'yes we can hear the noise and noticed that the car isn't running right - however there's no fault showing when we plug in the diagnostic' they said they will continue to 'investigate' and get back to us. On Thursday we was told the same story, however this time they'd checked the car all over and highlighted that we needed new tyres on the front as they were close to the 'recommended' change limit and tried to sell my Mum a set of 'premium brand' (Evergreen?!?) tyres for 85 quid a piece - falken were only £75 and a much higher rated tyre! On Friday they fitted the 2 new Falkens and concluded to say 'there's nothing we can do with car, if you want us to confirm there's something wrong with the car to the warranty company it's £50 - or you could just live with it'

At that point we demanded the car back, and rang the warranty company - after arguing they agreed we could take it to VW.

VW have had the car a day and confirmed the worst, timing chain isn't in alignment so will need new valves. £1700 to fix.

VW have contacted the warranty company who instantly responded with 'what's wrong with the timing chain?' VW have agreed to strip the car down to inspect the chain which will take 6 hours...

All services have been performed, there's no maximum claim limit on the policy, car hasn't been modified. What's the chances of the warranty company paying out? Does anyone have experience with this? You think it's worth complaining to halfords head office regarding the service? For something as serious as timing chain and be told 'just live with it' I think is unacceptable...

Very interested to hear people's views!

Surely a proper mechanic would just listen to the engine whilst running and be able to tell the timing is out.

Halfords - great for tools. Didn't think they'd employ so many.

I knew taking it to halfrauds would be a bad idea... But was forced to really due to the warranty 'approved' garage. I can see why they are approved, they don't fix anything!! All they wanna do is plug in a laptop, find a failed sensor and replace it... Anything mechanical and their screwed

Sounds like they're all in each others pocket mate. They get you to go there with an issue, then they just look for problems elsewhere on the car and get you to cough up for other wear and tear items - and not actually find anything that could be replaced / fixed for free under warranty.