Warning: RAC New T&C's

Artimus

Shortback
Reaction score
I renewed my RAC subscriptions last Sunday for another year over the phone, they've kept the cost the same for the past two previous years - less than half the advertised cost, so it was a no brainer ...or so I thought.

Today I get a call from them asking if I had received my pack yet (No) & informing me their T&C's have changed and the new addition to the rules state any car that breaks down & requires assistance must be factory parts or any modifications must only have been carried out by a Qualified Mechanic! Did I think this would affect Me? (No)

But the more I think about it, the more it bugs me! On reflection, it means that if I've so much as fitted a cone filter, and break down, they are relinquished of their contractual obligation to either fix or transport mine or the mrs' cars. It also means if we're traveling in someone else's car that has any kind of DIY modification which breaks down - we're not longer covered either. Well how am I to know if someone else has fitted aftermarket wheels to their car?

This is not what I pay for, and I'll be studying the new clause in detail when the T&C's arrive before deciding on my next course of action. In the meantime you guys with Mods should take note and choose your breakdown company carefully! fore-warned, is fore-armed, as they say.

[/Rant]

Reactions: JudderMan
If what you say is true, then what they are saying is, they will not fix your car roadside unless it is basically standard? They are going to lose a lot of custom if they enforce it in this way.

I'm with AA, and I'm unsure if they have this clause in their T&C's. But on the occasion my S3 destroyed it's gearbox on the M42, the AA guy tried to tow me with a bar, but when that failed, he called in a flat bed, but told them my car was lowered. So in your case, they are going to refuse to help you in the same scenario? Madness!

Good luck to them if that's true, they will see a drop in their members instantly once word gets out! In my opinion.

RAC suck! Im with AA and no such conditions exist i don't believe for mods. Breakdown repaid and parts cover upto £500 is a winner too!! AA all the way

Be warned if you try and cancel the cover once you have paid for it.
I was with the AA for around 12 years and cancelled it just before its last renewal as I had sold the car I used it on, I have Audi assist with RAC so didn't need the AA as well.
Called and cancelled it, but forgot to cancel the direct debit. Two months later a new AA card arrives through the post, I call to cancel it, again only to be told they don't and won't cancel, but can freeze the cover for up to five years. £120 for someone elses mistake.

So be warned if you have already paid for cover and decide to cancel.

Be warned if you try and cancel the cover once you have paid for it.
I was with the AA for around 12 years and cancelled it just before its last renewal as I had sold the car I used it on, I have Audi assist with RAC so didn't need the AA as well.
Called and cancelled it, but forgot to cancel the direct debit. Two months later a new AA card arrives through the post, I call to cancel it, again only to be told they don't and won't cancel, but can freeze the cover for up to five years. £120 for someone elses mistake.

So be warned if you have already paid for cover and decide to cancel.

Surprised by this Paul, I called to complain and wanted to cancel my AA policy, when they charged me full whack on a supposed discounted renewal. The guy was apologetic, gave me 2 options, a full refund and cancel of policy, or to stick with them, and they will refund the difference and £20 on top compensation, I took the latter option and got a cheque through the post a week later.

Mine actually came up for renewal and it doubled.... so i cancelled it and the direct debit and renewed online for the same price with same cover lol.

Reactions: NHN
when mine came up a renewal last I did complain that the price had not come down - told I had already had the maximum discount already. Gave the whole nine yards about only ever being with rac (now in my 30th year with them) mentioned green flag . aa., and the rest - ended up with 14 months cover for the price of 12 ....it all helps.
I did read the new T & c's and thought it was more about not repairing the mistakes of the bodged diy'er.my brother-in laws old rs2000 was heavily modded and they just towed it to the garage.If you broke down in a new Ferrari all the RAC would do is put it on a transporter as I'm sure they would not even chance touching it ....... or would you let them.
when I had my rover tomcat I did thank the heavens that I had full cover ..... It's just the peace of mind in the end of the day.this years is coming up soon so will be back here moaning about it ..... lol.

Reactions: Artimus
I was with the AA; but I broke down in Hull, on my way back to Bristol. The AA arrived after about an hour, and had to take me home. But they only go to a boundary, where I was effectively dumped to wait for the next relay van. Unfortunately, it was a busy time, so I waited at the roadside for the best part of 90 minutes, for the next van. He drove me for another hour, and again dumped me at the roadside to wait for the next relay van. This guy couldn't find me, because the previous guy had put me in the wrong place! much later, when he finally arrived, he relayed me to the next point...more waiting! At least with the RAC and Green flag, when you get picked up, they take you non stop to your destination. I'd never use the AA again.

I had been with the RAC since 1988, I gave up on them this year though.
Total waste of money IMHO