Warning light

gavk75

Reaction score
Hi - I've read on here that the Brake "red warning light" can appear when cold as an indicator the battery is getting close to EOL. my issue is similar but not the same. (I'm going to test the voltage to see if that's an issue - no idea when the battery was last replaced) But the issue seems to be after start up. It only started in the last couple of days and seems to be when I only turn right or to be more specific a tight/hard right - tested it over the last few days..

I had the car aligned a week or two ago but the issue was more intermittent and I resigned myself to changing the battery. Now I'm thinking it could be a faulty sensor or possibly more like the brake hose issue mentioned once or twice here. The car is a 1.8T - not a diesel like others with a similar prob.

Anyone experienced the issue on petrol motors?

12.3 volts going through the battery. Time to check the cables to see if anything came undone. Could it be a ABS sensor?

Noooo your brake fluid is low which causes the float in the reservoir to stick I had the same problem nearly bought a new battery and even though my fluid was above the min line, it was still low enough to cause the warining to appear on start up and when taking a tight right hand corner.

Again do a search on google I found a whole host of Audi forums where people have experienced this same issue.

ps check the level of your power steering fluid also just in case its one or the other!

Little tip when a warning light pops on the dash if you hit the spanner button it will tell you what to check in certain circumstancies, in this it will tell you to check brake or power steering fluid levels thats what baffled me though as both my levels were ok or what I thought was ok.

Last edited:
Tom - i searched for the brake warning light.. Never looked for turning right etc with it... Thanks again for you're help on this one !!

Right -the fluid level is low. Not only that the coolant and power steering level is low too. Time to ask what the hell they did in the last service. I would have thought these would be part of a check at least.

Last edited:
It depends on where you had the service done, if Audi then you would have thought so but again you never know, they are a law to themselves.

I remember when I had one of those free MOT's a while ago they gave me an advisory on a hole in my back box on the exhaust so before the next MOT I got under my car and do you think I could find this hole....well I’ve had several MOT's since then (non at Audi) and they have not mentioned it to me.

I also collared them about the fact it always says on there print out that they have carried out a valet and adjusted the washer jets to which I replied no you haven’t because the one is still off and has been for a while. The woman just told me it’s a standard print at the bottom of the sheet and it doesn’t matter if it’s been done or not.

Well since then I have serviced my car myself every year, it gets what it needs and I know the job has been done!

Reactions: BRILLO