1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wanting to replace the full Bose system in my new Audi A3

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by Ash187, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

Hi guys,

Im new to the forum and new to audi's, I have just bought an Audi A3 sport, 3dr, 2.0 tdi that has the double din symphony unit and full bose system

now im wanting to replace the lot... My last car was a ford focus and i hated the standard unit in those so i upgraded the lot in that which finished off to sound beautiful but as my focus was only single din i had one of those pop-out dvd units...

now that i have the double din space im looking to fit this
    JVC double din touch screen HU
    http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=KWAVX810

I also want to and replace the speakers, Bose Sub and amp...

But im not sure what i will need to do on the A3 to get it all working perfectly...
    I have searched a bit and read on the forum that i will need to rewire the speakers but im not sure how im going to go about doing this. also i like the hidden sub idea giving me full boot space, what sub can i fit in the A3 to keep it like this? Can i use any amp to get this all going?
    any help appriciated
  2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

3. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

Hi Andy,

Im in the london/kent area so not too far from you, would be interested in the sub but i would still want to change the whole speaker setup for better sound quality.

i have seen that link but it does not really give me much to go on. i know this is a noob question but how would i replace all the wiring in the car to support a new headunit with speakers?
  4. AndyMac

Depends if you really want to replace all the speaker wiring.
    The rears are easy, remove the speaker panels, replace the unbelievably terrible 4" bose fisher price speakers, and fit 6.5" coxials using 18mm MDF spacer rings and run new wiring to the HU or amp.
    The fronts are tricky as you can only fit slimline 5.25" components, depth is limited to about 52mm and again speaker rings are required. Don't buy the plastic autoleads shyte as they don't fit at all, get some MDF ones. If you settle for plastic ones then you'll need a lot of hotmelt glue to seal them properly. MDF is better as it gives a bit more strength to the baffle, SQ will be limited by the flimsy door card they are bolted to, so don't expect too much of an improvement in bass, you'll need a sub to get any level of bass in the car, unless you install custom door builds.
    Running new cable will require a wire coathanger and alot of swearing to get it through the rubber boot.
    Let me know if you need more info.
  5. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

Well i have read how wiring will need to be replaced to get the new HU working nicely without the old Bose stuff interfering. And i do not want to ruin my new HU internal amp with the crappy Bose speakers...
    the main question with replacing the wiring really comes down to how i would get it wired into the HU? i also would want to replace the crappy nokia tweeters along with the speakers so your info on the MDF is great advice.

I would definitely be wanting a better sub as the Bose ones just sound absolute **** when just turned up slightly, which would mean a new amp in the car but im not too sure how i would go about replacing the stuff without replacing the wiring. Bass should not come from door speakers IMO, im more interested in clear SQ in the front end.
    i have seen lots of questions on how to get a 4gauge wire through to the battery but i have not seen an answer yet so that would be helpful.
    as i have said i like the hidden sub as i always have some sort of **** in my boot and like to have the full boot space but then would having the hidden sub mean less on SQ/bass? i still have my 12" Kenwood sub with enclosure that i took out of my old focus that i could use but i dont really want to loose the space in the boot :s
    could the old Bose enclosure in the boot not be used with an aftermartket sub in it to improve the SQ?
  6. AndyMac

You can pick up the speaker wiring from the Bose loom in the boot.
    Half the problem with the Bose sub is the tupperware enclosure, fitting a better sub in the flimsy plastic box actually makes it sound worse.
    The stealth sub is a compromise, but it's a very good one. It only really struggles at very high volumes. A 6.5" sub in a very small enclosure just cannot provide the panel rattling bass you can get from a 12" unit taking up half the boot, but it's an unbelievably good alternative. PM me your email address and I'll send over the instructions on running power.
  7. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

im not too sure what you meant in the last post
    "You can pick up the speaker wiring from the Bose loom in the boot."
    does that mean i can still use the existing wiring to connect up the new speakers and have no issues with a new HU?

also how would i go about having a stealth sub? as you say the bose enclosure is an issue, but i have no idea when it comes to building enclosures.
    or what sub to get for that matter...
    Im not into street rumbling bass... but i do like a good amount of bass in the car to set the SQ nicely :) so im up for a 6.5" sub, just dont really know where to start
  8. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

pm sent ;)
  9. AndyMac

Sorry please disregard the last post, about speaker sizes, had it in my head you had an 8L for some reason, when you clearly have an 8P. Everything else is correct, but the stock speakers in the 8P are 6.5" all round IIRC and mounting depth is not such an issue as the speakers mount to the inner door skin and not to the flimsy door card.
  10. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

oooo thats good :)
    so i dont need the mdf for the speakers? just a direct replacement?
    can i use the existing bose wiring with adapters for the speakers or will the old wiring damage/distort the SQ in anyway?
  11. dunk

dunk Member

ive replaced all but kept the rns-e satnav and speaker wire.

front and rear door speakers replace with 6.5" components - focal utopia at front and cdt in rear all keeping factory appearance

ran a power lead to the boot from the battery

picked up all line inputs, power-on signal and speaker wires from where the exsisting wiring goes to the bose amp in the right boot side

disconnected and ignored the dash centre speaker

built a stealth sub for the wheel well - in my case a 28L vented box with a split height, hexagon box the same size as the wheel with 1/2 the box a lower height to allow the amp to sit on top of the speaker box.

9" sub tuned to 24hz in the box giving optimal qb3 alignment - not underdamped
    5 channel amp and alpine processor sit on top of the speaker box

boot wheel cover sits over the whole thing about 40mm higher than normal, with vents cut in it for the sub and amp cooling, with a metal grille over the speaker and vent holes fitted from the underside of the boot cover so i retain full use of the boot.

alpine equalizer does an amazing job of bringing all the parts together complete with time compensation and equalization

apart from the grilles in the boot/wheel cover you would never know its there until you play the music...

with a shallow speaker in a sealed box i could have made the box volume about 15 to 18L and then the wheel cover would have gone fully down flat, but i preferred the larger 9" sub in a larger reflex box.
  12. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

hi dank,
    do you have pictures of the boot after you installed sub?
  13. J42OEY

J42OEY New Member

hi. i have just bought an 1998 a3 and hav discoverd that the sound quality is sh!t. i want to keep the head unit standerd and was wondering weather i could just replace/upgrade all my speakers and sub, without canging any of the wiring. thanks Joe
  14. AndyMac

Depends if you have Bose or not. Your description could describe either TBH.
    If non Bose then you can just change the speakers and retain the existing wiring. The "sub" also drives the rear speakers so you'll need to run the replacement sub off a 4 channel amp and use 2 channels for the rears. All the feeds can be picked up from the red sub connector, you just need to run power for the amp.
    [​IMG]

If Bose then I would replace the Bose amp and the speakers as neither work well with aftermarket kit.
  15. J42OEY

J42OEY New Member

How can i find out if its bose or not?
    and how would i connect the wires to the RCA Input on the amp

thanks joe
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  16. AndyMac

Look at the tupperware sub, if it has a metal front with a single 6.5" speaker then it is non Bose. If it has a black plastic front and 2 x 4" drivers then it's Bose.
    I can sell you an adapter to plug into the Audi connector or you can make your own. Just strip off the ends of an RCA cable and solder skinny blades to them. Insulate them with heatshrink just leaving the ends exposed and these plug into the connector.
  17. J42OEY

J42OEY New Member

how much is the adaptor??
  18. AndyMac

£15 delivered, but need to know if it's Bose or non Bose
  19. Encabler

Encabler New Member

Is this the same socket connector to the rear amp/sub in the 2009 8PA (5 door A3)? If so, should I use Pin 5 to switch on the two amps I'm adding? One 4-channel amp for front and rear component sets, and one for a small subwoofer.

Also, I will use a line out converter from the rear speaker level wires from this connector to the amp as well as from the front speaker level wires on the concert II+ head unit. Is this a good way to go, or should I be using the line out wires from the head unit in some way?

Thank you.
    Scott