Want those nice LED running lights off a S6 on your S3 or A3?

Mmmm, inbuilt DRLs on the new A3 cab..... Expensive me thinks!!

a32.jpg

Me thinks!

Depends if they are a exact fit or not....bumper or bonnet or both may be different shape than ours.

They look like Xenons in the picture. However this may be very expensive, Kufatec are selling a Bi-Xenon kit for almost 1400 Euro. Imagine what a dealer might ask for them? Make the S6 LED strips look like a bargain!

Ooo the LEDs are ABOVE the headlight (eyebrow style) rather than underneath. Interesting positioning. Ehh confused on which to get heh.

Hey wasn't somebody getting them done here? Where's the progress...

Hehe. Just spent the day installing my LED driving lights and I'm really pleased with the result.

Bought 20 individual LEDs for £5.90 via eBay and fitted them to the foglight grill.

I've attached some piccies of the job, but it was going dark when I finished, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for a full daylight picture of the finished job....

By the way - has anyone got real original LED running lights? Do they turn off at night when you switch the lights on to avoid dazzle or do they simply stay on all the time the ignition is turned on regardless of the main lighting switch position?

http://audi-sport.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1437

http://audi-sport.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1435

http://audi-sport.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1434

For those who may want to know, these are the LEDs I bought...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-20PCS-12V-Wired-5mm-White-LED-Wide-Viewing-F-Ship_W0QQitemZ120128109115QQihZ002QQcategoryZ66952QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Yes I had seen those strips. I considered trying to put them inside the headlights.
For fitting into the foglight grill, the separate LEDs are more straightforward than the strips, unles you intent to stick the strip on the front which would spoil the effect.

I also gave a lot of thought to the size and brightness of the LEDs.

There are 3mm, 5mm, 8mm and 10mm available. I tried to judge it. Bigger LEDs aren't necessarily any brighter and you wouldn't get as many in the same fixed length of the grill, so you'd get the impression of a smaller number of individual LEDs rather than the "line of light" you can get with more smaller LEDs in the same space.

We'll have to wait until daylight to see the effect with these, but at the moment, judging them at dusk and at night, I'm really pleased with the result with the 5mm 30,000mcd brightness LEDs with 60 degree beam....

I'm not sure they really are 30cds! The most powerful LEDs from maplins were only about 2 cds. Bit of a difference. And I know the "superbrights" are as bright as the ones above as I have ordered some before.

They're certainly bright enough though. I think you need more though IMHO.

Looks good but a little short. Add some more so it goes across the whole plastic

Iv just won a decent set from ebay about £35 inc postage. when iv installed them ill take some pics for u guys! ill be using them as fog replacements rather than day lights as they will look like christmas lights on constantly lol.

Its hard to judge the brightness in photos, as the auto exposure doesn't paint a true picture.

In reality, they look about as bright as genuine LED DRLs - they're bright enough to make a diffference in daylight, as they should, but they don't dazzle at night - yes they look bright at night, but only in the same way as that the dipped headlight looks bright, when you look at it...

The problem with fitting them all the way across the grill is that there's a gap where the upper fastening clip goes - but you're right, a longer line might look better, so I'm going to order some more and try and fabricate something to bridge the gap in the plastic..

Hi there, neat mod! Have you got some kind of waterproof connector on the end of the LED's to allow easy removal of the grills, and did you wire up directly to the sidelights?

There are also waterproof LED flexible strips available that could be fitted across, say the middle or bottom grill section, and can be cut to suit as well. See here:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/water-proof-strip-cool-white-p-1037.html

I installed them recently on my TT:

NightLED1.jpg

S6c.jpg

LEDsoff.jpg

while we are talking about lights, iv recently changed my bulbs to xenons (Phillips) 80& more light supposedly, but when iv installed them, the light doesnt look even, how do i fix this?????

What are the chances that the cab bumper plus lights would be a direct fit to a facelift 8P??

staz1000 said:
What are the chances that the cab bumper plus lights would be a direct fit to a facelift 8P??

Judging on past history with face lifts (2004) chances are it could also mean a new bonnet?

Oh and sorry chaps for not coming back with pics of my a6 led light retro fit. A change of plan has stopped me from finishing of the grills and taking pics. But they're installed, working fine and look the absolute dogs!

Even though it cost way more than the cheaper alternatives shown on this thread and a lot harder installation I'm more than happy with the result and would definetly recomend going down this route, no offence guys who have done the cheaper route, but in my opinion the A6 way looks more of a factory fit option and more substantial than a DIY one that will sure be copied the chav's natiowide

Naresh,
To answer your query, I connected them to a spare "ignition feed" connection in the under-bonnet fuse box, so they're on all the time the ignition is on, regardless of the light-switch position, just like the real DRLs.

I used a "spade" connector to plug into the top of one of the spare fuse supply points on the fuse box and a 4 amp inline fuse in the supply wire. Had to make a small hole in the side of the fusebox to feed the supply wire out through and then dropped it down behind the bumper.
I used those little "screw connector blocks" to connect all the LED wires together and to connect them to the supply wire, so I could easily disconnect that if I had to.

I did think about buying those strips, but thought they would stand out stuck on top of the grill and it was no hassle to drill the grill and fit the others from behind. I thought that way, fitted from behind, they'd get less weather abuse than a strip fitted to the front.

Just ordered a second set of 20 to try and fill the gap to the end of the grill - another 4 each side should do it.

Also got some red ones to fit into the footwells and the overhead panel and to link to the instrument lighting....

alfiejts said:
Naresh,
To answer your query, I connected them to a spare "ignition feed" connection in the under-bonnet fuse box, so they're on all the time the ignition is on, regardless of the light-switch position, just like the real DRLs.

DRL equiped Audis have a switch next to the lighting controls to turn them on or off.

JohnS3 said:
DRL equiped Audis have a switch next to the lighting controls to turn them on or off.
My car doesn't have the DRL switch, but I was able to use VAGCOM to enable the scandinavian DRLs. My dipped headlights now come on with the ingintion - this can also be changed to use the foglights instead of the main beams.

Teejay said:
why did you fit 19 inch RS4 replicas then? they don't make any improvements to the actual workings of the car.

I didn't, they were on the car when I bought it - I'm changing them for Work Meister S1 3 peice wheels - they have forged centres and are extremely light (as well as being good looking) reducing the unsprung weight of the wheels thus giving some improvement in performance :icon_thumright:

MarcQuinlivan said:
My car doesn't have the DRL switch, but I was able to use VAGCOM to enable the scandinavian DRLs. My dipped headlights now come on with the ingintion - this can also be changed to use the foglights instead of the main beams.

Ahh, didn't think of that. I also enabled the Scandanavian DRLs too (if anyone wants to know, they are front and rear DRLs. As opposed to North American which are front only)

Count me in too!!

2006 A3 SPORTBACK 170TDI QUATTRO S-LINE MISANO RED ,XENONS, LIGHT AND RAIN PACK, INTERIOR LIGHT PACK,MFSW WHEEL, ARMRESTS , I-POD, BLAH BLAH!:p

Any update on anyones project here? Quite tempted after seeing Naresh's TT rather then the thicker single lights, though close up I thought the lights went all the way round the plate (due to reflections)!

Guys, I should be doing an A3 install fairly soon so you can see the results. If anyone is interested in these feel free to drop me a PM. :)

Thanks. Have a look Here for some more of my interior LED mods. Enjoy! :)

Thanks. Have a look Here for some more of my interior LED mods. Enjoy! :)

Thanks. I'll check them out later.

Just had a quick look at the start button one. Do you have any details on how you wired the button into the system?

I just purchased the RS4 start button and want to fit it into the ignition system, but am unsure about which wires to tap into. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi mate have you got any pics of the RS4 start button and where in the car are you planning on fitting it?

Hi mate have you got any pics of the RS4 start button and where in the car are you planning on fitting it?

See more in this post.

06.audi.rs4.det.start.500.jpg

It just slots into the gap next to the handbrake (well, you need to remove the centre console and connect it in from underneath as it is wider at the bottom than the top.

There is a square 8 pin connector underneath, but the dealer has been unable to figure out the required part.

Here's are two photos from a german dude's DIY site, but he doesn't post any notes on the install. (www.faudiq.de). I also have the Nokia 610 Car Kit, so will be mounting the control knob thingy in the same place.

DSC03675.JPG

DSC03674.JPG