1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want an A6 Avant 1.9 tdi - Manual or Auto ??

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Jetcat, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Jetcat

Jetcat New Member

I am looking to get an Audi A6 1.9TDI Sport Avant next month probably an 03/04 but want to know the pros and cons of a manual and Multitronic. My situation is that I have the need to do a small amount of towing, probably 3 or 4 times a year, no more than 750miles. Anyone have any advice on whether a multitronic will be ok for towing or should I stick with the manual.

Thanks in Advance
  2. simonwjones

simonwjones Member

Ideally I would try and find a six speed manual. The VAG group call the 6 speed the economy box. Ive had both Auto and 5 and 6 speed manual. The six speed is a lovely box.

Personally my last car was an 1.9tdi Avant and I didnt like it. Thought it was under powered for the size of the body. You could of cause have it chipped.

Dont let my opinions put you off, Im on my 4th A6 now and my next car will be an A6, I just didnt like the 1.9tdi. Didnt think the consumption was that good either, not compared to what it offers in the A4

Simon
  3. Jetcat

Jetcat New Member

Unfortunately the A4 just isn't big enough, I currently have a Volvo V70 and want comparable space. As for the 5 or 6 speed manual box, the thing that puts me off the 6 speed is the area that I live and travel to work i.e over mountains and along country roads. I wouldn't have thought that I would get into 6th very much locally although it should be economical on the motorway, if the difference in economy for the 5sp over the 6sp is 2 or 3 mpg then I could live with that.

It's got to be the 1.9tdi as I am now going for more for economy, my brother in law has a 2.5tdi A6 avant and he is lucky if he gets 35 to the gallon, I can get that out of my petrol volvo!! What sort of economy were you getting out of your 1.9tdi Simon???

As for chipping, definately something to think about, a few extra horses are always handy.
  4. simonwjones

simonwjones Member

the 6 speed is quite low geared, so you would be surprised how often 6th does get used.

my 1.9tdi didnt even have DIS so Im not sure what i was getting, but it wasnt much more than my 2.5 does now.

I just think the 1.9 in an A6 is just under powered because of the weight of the car.

I too couldnt have an A4 because they are just too small for my family. I once looked at an A4 avant and the boot was smaller than my A6 saloon.

The 1.9tdi doesnt have the option of quattro as well, which I missed badly.

I only kept mine just over 12 months before I couldnt bear it any ore and it had to go.

Simon
  5. mickey_a6

mickey_a6 Member

6-Speed manual for sure. Avoid the Multi box as there are lots of problems with it (nice though it is to drive). I get 40mpg average (1.9TDi sport saloon, 6sp manual, 2004), and once you're moving it doesn't feel that underpowered and the torque is immense for such a small capacity engine - you won't win the traffic lights Grand Prix, though.