Want a new steering wheel......

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
After seeing that a guy in the a3/s3 picture section has fitted a vw scirocco to his a3 and managed to retain the airbag, its got me thinking i want to do it.

Now i always thought that we couldnt change our wheels due to the airbag not working with newer models, now how has he managed to retain the airbag? I really want todo this as i hate my sterering wheel, its so dated and old.

Would love to fit this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-STEERING-W...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19bbd89364

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-FLAT-BOT...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19bbd45635

Price point though, id rather have the scirocco one, plus i dont want all the buttons etc on the wheel.

Any input guys much appreciated.

Dan

Im sceptical. Saying its been retained and it actually going off is a completely different story. We have a single stage system, they have a 2 stage.

Whats the difference between the single and double stage systems? Surely there must be a module or something that can be uesd?

How about an audi S4 steering which got audio commands in it?

Which would work with . . . ?

Whats the difference between the single and double stage systems? Surely there must be a module or something that can be uesd?

"dual stage deployment, which varies depending on the force of the impact."

Personally don't think any of the airbags I've seen work with the interior of the car. Don't forget, it was all designed to go with each other. Personally think something like the 'Rocco steering wheel looks out of place.

there's a lot about this single stage dual stage stuff going around.....

Basically, you can fit the later bags into the 8L, and wire them up so that the lights won't come on. but the airbag still wont ever trigger.

I wouldn't risk it.

you can fit an R32 steering wheel though, but the centre VW badge would have to be covered

can i just ask a totally random question... Are you going to pay £200+ for a steering wheel?

Save yourself the hassle pal and fit the alcantara one from a TTQS, should be a straight swap and looks gorgeous.

TTAlcantara.jpg
:hubbahubba:

Hmm. First one I've seen that actually might look OK. Great thinking Maz! Now to find one!! LOL!

You can buy new genuine alcantara wheels on ebay, there is a guy that has been selling them for a while now.

There are several variations of the wheel available, the one i would purchase is currently on ebay, the item number is 220594444314.

It would just be a case of swapping the s-line badge over for an S3 one. Not the cheapest wheel, but it means the airbag does still work.

Chris

Why though? Also dont hink it would suit silver/cream leather.

Momo Team 280mm wheel For The Win Dani! :D
Why dont you just get your S3 wheel retrimmed?

S3 8L
My steering wheels is in a bad shape and i would like to have the audio controls lol :p

I'll say it again. Which would work with what exactly? The audio controls (as you first mentioned) wouldn't operate anything, hence my question.