Want a B8, advice please.

Big Duke

Reaction score
Ok so this is my dilemma, and Im sure you guys will be able to offer an opinion and advice. I currently have a 2007 A3 2.O tdi 170bhp. I do a ton of miles and need reliability. Ive had the A3 6 years since it had 29k, and its now on 175k and it still drives like a new car. I love the B8 A4 and now I have 2 kids want something bigger, and can afford a 2008 or 9 A4 with say 60 or 70 k on the clock... But I cannot get an answer to the oil pump problem on the 2.0TDI on this car. How do I know which to buy that has a modified part? One option is to go for the TFSI petrol, but I also read that this drinks oil. Should I play safe and get a 1.6diesel Golf? or keep the A3? I know any car could break but I must avoid the known faults with the commute I do. I would really appreciate some advice.

TFSI 09-11 plate suffer oil consumption issues, however don't be put off, look for one that has already had the work done. mine after the work now returns 10k + miles when topped up with a litre of oil

Ok thanks Macdoon, none of the ones advertised mention having had significant work done..Any advice on the 20TDI?

I've got a 2.0tdi and no problems so far. On 80k and had the car since march. Although I'm looking to change in the next year up to a 3.0tdi or S4/5

Is your consideration down to cost. I have come across a rental company with great prices. My brother in law just got his a6 avant Quattro for 400 a month on a six month term extendable. Only one month down. Best part the monthly includes maintenance and tyres

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

thanks guys. Vaf888, I was going to buy the car and can afford a 2008 or 9 2.0tdi of tfsi with about 60 to 70k on the clock so around 8k. I just need to avoid the known pit falls.

Ok. Just thought the rental side might have been a good option. The term on the car starts at 6months, when can be extended each time if you don't want to change or had back. Range of cars on the list

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If yours is a 5door A3 I think you'll be surprised to hear it has pretty much exactly the same rear leg room as an A4. Depends if you need a slightly bigger boot. Also as you do galactic milage a TFSI will bankrupt you in petrol. Also as long as the car has had the piston ring change/rebuild you won't have the oil burning issue.

Thanks Muzza, I do less mileage than I used to. i was doing 550 miles a week for 5 or so years, and the A3 sport 170, is brilliant for bombing up and down the motorway, but i noww work from home 2 days a week and my mileage is about250 a week. Still probably better with the TDI. Im surprised you say that about the rear leg room, as I thought this newer shape A4 was bigger. Its certainly true of the B7.

the 2008-2009 models had a few teething problems, and they implemented a bunch of revisions to the 2010+ models, this includes steering, lower engine cover and a bunch of other stuff in the engine I am not to certain on.
Friend bought a 2009 because they loved mine, identicle 170 2.0 to what I have in a lovely grey, but it was a little bit of a nightmare for him, he asked me to test drive it because it felt 'dangerous' to him and he kept sending it back to the dealer, i was shocked when i drove it at how stiff the steering was, and it definately felt different to mine and not better, even with half the mileage mine has.
So from first hand experience if you can, go for at least a 2010.
Mine is a 2010 was bought with 80k on the clock nearly 4 years ago, and it is now on 120k and feels great, no oil consumption issues, only had an issue with a wheel bearing which was caused likely by a bad bulging tyre i drove on for a year. No plans to trade up until it is run into the ground so can highly recomend this year up.

Ok great, Thanks Meemo. so go for 2010 on, and yours is a 2.0 Tdi 170. Thanks.