1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wandering behaviour

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by m_o_w_g_l_i, Oct 18, 2005.

1. m_o_w_g_l_i

m_o_w_g_l_i Member

[Oct 18, 2005]
    Morning,

my A4 is behaving a bit weird. On the motorway its weaving all over the place, all the tyre pressures are OK and the tyres are 2 months old. Its only recently started doing this (last 2 -3 weeks) and I realise that the increased winds will affect the stability (those on the outside of the car anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif) but I can't put my finger on it. It feels almost like the rear is moving and not the front, my first thoughts were rear trailing arm bushes and/or rear dampers.

Any help on this is appreciated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. a4avant

a4avant New Member

[Oct 18, 2005]
    I'm about to change the rear bushes on my A4 Avant for the same reason. Jack the rear of the car up and check them for wear.
  4. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Oct 18, 2005]
    I tried jacking mine up to spot wear, but couldnt detect any however hard i barred stuff, I am however suffering as you have described, in fact i have had it step out and spin, possibly due to this so i would be curious to know how hard/easy and costs please chaps
  5. moschino

moschino Member

[Oct 20, 2005]
    Check the shock absorbers. My off side rear one went causing the cars rear end to wobble everytime i went over a bump.
    I managed to get a complete suspension strut from a breakers for £45. The rear struts are not keyed so either side will fit. Easy to replace.
  6. m_o_w_g_l_i

m_o_w_g_l_i Member

[Oct 20, 2005]
    Well, my comment about the tyres being OK was wrong. I checked them this morning and they were 2 PSI down all round. Pumped 'em up and everything seems OK now. I think the dampers are on the way anyway so might change them, thanks for the replies.
  7. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Oct 20, 2005]
    I did change shocks and springs all around (Eibach/sensortrac)as well as the rear tyres are matched, ahh well i guess i had better keep an eye on it,lol