Wallm0nkeys S3 thread

Wallm0nkey

Reaction score
Figured I'd do a thread to keep track of the repairs and upgrades I've done so far as getting on for a year of ownership now.

I had always liked the S3's the mileage i'd been doing hadn't made one practical until I gained a works van so figured perfect time to make the swap.

I had been searching for a while but most of the cars I saw seemed to be over priced or something just seemed off with them. In the end I traveled to Kent which was a bit of a mission but the car was honest and a fair price had a few faults but they weren't covered up. Car was totally standard besides a Forge 007 dv full history and on 88k miles cambelt and suspension bushes just done with a major service/mot in the last 100 miles. Tonnes of receipts with the history which all looked good it had been on longlife for the early part of it's life which was the main negative I had.

This is the car as I brought it:

The drive home was great and so were the first couple of weeks until the car started severely misfiring and I had an engine light... Figured one of the issues out to be the crankcase breather pipe totally snapped but it didn't fix it and I hadn't got VCDS at the time so had to pop to a garage. A couple more pipes two coil packs and a set of plugs later we were back on the road.

Next job I had two tyres which kept losing air the wheels were quite corroded so decided to have them refurbed in anthracite.

I did have a lazy headlight so ordered the aluminium motor clips which sorted that out a nice easy fix.

Randomly around this point I started losing washer fluid as quick as I could put it in long story short turned out I had a split bottle. I had an attempt at a little guide in case anyone else had issues with the bottle as I couldn't find a lot of info about it. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...0-audi-s3-8l-washer-bottle-removal-guide.html

Around this time I did the N249 delete just to get rid of some more pipe work under the bonnet.

At this point we decided to sell my girlfriends E38 318is and share the Audi as I was pretty much always in the van and she only does about 3 miles a day.

I had the problem with the dead alarm siren I did the maplin fix but had pretty much guessed it was to far gone so have been waiting to get the updated siren.

The temp gauge had became a bit temperamental so I swapped the cts for no change so flushed the coolant and swapped the stat no issues since. Glad I shouldn't need to mess with the stat again was a pain for a straightforward job!

I got around to doing the oil pick up and cleaning the sump I had been dreading doing it but it went pretty well and was cleaner then I expected so hopefully the longlife hasn't been too much of an issue.

Around this time was the snapped clutch pedal annoying at the time on a busy cross roads but another relatively cheap easy fix.

Since I'd had the car the passenger door blade had been peeling off I had been keeping my eye out for a replacement. Figured I'd have a go at a repair had to drill the screws out I glued it back together then used longer screws that bite into the blade and it seems to have done the trick. Might go for new blades when my shopping list is smaller!

Did the cheap fix for the rear wiper jet as it had the snapped brass pipe and a blocked jet motor was totally fine luckily.

Last job I did was fit my Saikou Michi catch can so that brings me about up to date.

Next jobs are:
Drivers door switch plays up in the sun.
Drivers seat cable snapped so it wont slide forward with the handle, still able to move it all ways but not with the lever.
Get the alarm siren swapped.
Try and adjust the passenger door as it doesn't sit flush at the bottom any ideas anyone?
B5 tip and filter.
I fancy refreshing the suspension with new shocks and springs undecided which ones yet.
Boot lights are a bit intermittent so been meaning to check the boot catch out.

Long term I do intend to keep the car so think the journey for more power and an engine rebuild will be on the cards but with hopefully getting a house and being married this year I think it maybe do bits as and when I can. In the next few months I have decided to sell my old Mini after 7 years of owning her I just don't have the time of space no more so it's been a bit neglected. On the plus side it will push some cash in the S3s direction!

Reactions: Nilz, MUSH and s3dave
Great progress and updates there mate.

As its on your list, if you do a search for microswitch, there is a really good guide to fix the door issue. I used a wire coat hanger and some WD40 a few years ago and its been fine since :)

I'll give that a bash one of the nights, was it a case of hooking it and pulling? I think I have read the thread! Sort of forgot about it through the winter as it's behaving.

After my first MOT a few weeks back just requiring a CV Boot figured I'd do a service. So oil and filter, fuel, air and pollen too fuel filter looked old and the strap snapped off so just cable tied it. The clips were a right pain I knew where to press but it was hard getting them off ended up pressing the clip and using an open ended spanner the prise them off.
Doing the air filter noticed a split in the tip by where it joins the hockey puck so bodged it up and next month a B5 tip is on the cards at last! It would of been this month but had just brought a new plate and surrounds.
That's all my updates for now!

I've gave in and ordered a B5 tip filter and heat shield... So hopefully next weekend I can fit it, for the sealant where it meets the turbo could I use a smear of the sump sealant I have left? Or am I best buying something more suited?

Car does feel a little more responsive I think down to the fuel filter as it looked old all the rest were reccent but changed for good measure!

I have a slight drip of oil it seems to accumulate on the oil return pipe at the sump. The oil level doesn't move enough to notice between changes so it is minor but I hate seeing it find myself looking under the car a lot! I've cleaned it all up and gather it must've coming from higher up as everything is sound lower down any ideas anyone? How hard of a job is swapping that pipe?

Reactions: AndyC87
Not updated for a bit I did order a B5 tip and the BMC cone filter with heatshield which are now fitted. I got spurred on to order it all after spotting a split in the original tip every cloud and all that! Can't really comment if I have gained any performance but the noise is lovely! Whilst I was messing I moved my catch can near the battery as it seemed to fit nicer.

Today I finally got a set of Aero wipers and blades! Used but £35 delivered and blades have plenty of life in them I had been so close to paying silly money in the past so pretty pleased with that just need to sort the rear out now.
Could anyone give me the part no for the rear arm and blade is it touran and polo?

Have had an annoying little blip on idle since I've had the car barely noticeable but I used to sit looking for it if I was ever waiting. No idea why it took me til now but I cleaned the throttle body and realigned and it appears to be solved! Nice easy fix I'll just see how it goes.

I started taking out the boden cable for my seat but it will be a seat out job so have left it part done for now until I have a bit more time.

I haven't done many miles lately but might give the car an oil change next month ready for winter.

I still need to sort out an aero wiper for the rear and then I might get the bodywork tidied. It's not bad for the age but just started to get signs of corrosion on the wings so will tie in with getting rid of stone chips.

Forgot to add I stuck a private plate on it with S3 surrounds car isn't the cleanest in the pics :(

Changed the oil, filter and plugs today then did the haldex oil and filter. Had some fun with removing the haldex filter as it's the first time I'd done it the spanner is tighter to get in then I'd expected. But apart from that a pretty straightforward job and the oil went back in fine glad it's done now anyway.
Next job I'm intending to get the diff and gearbox oil changed as that's one thing not mentioned in the history no issues but at least I know everything's fresh.
I need to give it a serious clean as been working 7 days up until this weekend so might do that first and try and sort the seat cable out as it's still annoying me. Got a friend with a garage going to investigate my knocking noise so hopefully something minor and that will be sorted too!

Last weekend I fitted the revised alarm siren so have my alarm functioning again activated the beep when locking whilst I was at it!
Got my boot light working and also sorted out a rattle in the tail gate I gather someone must of removed the trim in the past and a clip was loose in there.
Struggling to get enough tension to fit the bowden cable I made up but it's all in place just the last bit to hook in. I'll have another crack soon and hopefully get it sorted.
Gave it a damn good clean on Friday inside and out all makes me love it again when it's shiny!
Today it's at the garage getting a new n/s driveshaft as that's the cause of my knocking noise. I did toy with the idea of doing it myself but nice to let someone else now and again!