1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wak box noise! And alternative with same air flow

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Imola, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Imola

Imola Member

[Sep 15, 2013]
    Hi

Since sorting my recent S3 issues, I decided to try the 'Wak Box' mod that I stumbled across whilst looking into solutions. Drilled the holes as per post. Mass Air Flow rose by around 4g/s, which was a result!

However, I found the noise to be really disagreeable and irritating. At low revs, there is a loud booming resonant noise, particularly at very low revs under load (circa 1500 in second after turning into a road from a junction). It smoothes out and is less 'booming' as the revs rise, but still pretty intrusive.

Being induction noise, it simply sounds unpleasantly 'flat' to me (and somewhat reminiscent of a 17 year old lad's 'pimped' Citroen Saxo), unlike the sweet and crisp sound of the Milltek at high revs :)

So, after 48 hours of the wak box, I covered all the holes and plumbed in a 100mm wide hose I had lying around, from the airbox to down near the front at the side of the battery (pretty much as Tuffty did in his superb build thread)
    I get the exact same airflow as the Wak box mod (around 4g/s more than standard airbox) without any additional noise over a standard airbox. Result :)

Took 45 minutes in total.

I understand that some might think more noise equates to more power (as an engineer I can tell you this is not necessarily true) and some may even like that flat, booming, induction noise, but for those that prefer low noise with the same airflow I recommend the 100mm pipe approach.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. p1tse

p1tse Member

[Sep 15, 2013]
    Pics and how to :)

I tried that option on my tt and wasn't a fan
    I also tried an open filter but didn't like that either
    I prefer an enclosed upgrade
  4. Imola

Imola Member