W3STY's Progress Thread

What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
Ezibleed itself had a split in the hose where it joined the reseviour cap. I must have damaged it when I crammed it back in the box after the track day in November. I only had half a litre of fluid so once that was on the floor I was ******. Didn't have time to investigate as needed to get showered and on the road.

Anyway, when I got back I bought 5 litres of fluid then hooked up the Ezibleed. This time spotted the tiny split, cut an inch of the hose off with a stanley knife put it back to together and bled the brakes fine.

Annoyed big time!

If it had happened a day earlier I'd not have been rushing as much and would have had time to investigate and buy more fluid. Bit like the EGT probe issue. Found it an hour after I was meant to have been on the road to ADI. :(

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

We're going to call you 13 second Fred now.

13 seconds more looking at it and less rushing and you'd have been called 12 second Fred :laugh:

A length of clear tube with a 1 way valve and a jar has yet to fail me yet ;)

I had an eezibleed back in the UK and the f'er always used to leak.

Have been looking into track days and iirc bedford start of november and theres a vw weekend event end of august called vw action....could do a ASN clubstand as pretty sure SCN are having one? :)

Mine will hopefully be all up and ready with some miles on her by then......fingers crossed

Reactions: Scullies
Have been looking into track days and iirc bedford start of november and theres a vw weekend event end of august called vw action....could do a ASN clubstand as pretty sure SCN are having one? :)

Mine will hopefully be all up and ready with some miles on her by then......fingers crossed

Are you offering to setup the ASN stand Stacey? ;)

Are you offering to setup the ASN stand Stacey? ;)

You'd really trust me to with my memory and organisation skills?

I only had to get to a pub for a set time and bring a few things to inters......to which I was late and held everyone up and forgot half of my stuff....;)

Ezibleed itself had a split in the hose where it joined the reseviour cap. I must have damaged it when I crammed it back in the box after the track day in November. I only had half a litre of fluid so once that was on the floor I was ******. Didn't have time to investigate as needed to get showered and on the road.

Anyway, when I got back I bought 5 litres of fluid then hooked up the Ezibleed. This time spotted the tiny split, cut an inch of the hose off with a stanley knife put it back to together and bled the brakes fine.

Annoyed big time!

Cheaper tho.

Deep Joy! Got the following error coming up:

16396/P0012/000018 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded) [h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Erratic Idle
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Intake Camshaft Adjuster tight/stuck
  • Intake Camshaft Adjuster faulty
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check Intake Camshaft Adjuster
    • Use Output Test, Meas. Value Blocks (MVB) & Basic Setting

Anyone seen this before and know the best steps to take?

Have you reset all codes as a battery drain can throw up everything...

I was hoping someone would say this. I had idle issues and misfires as I was driving home Monday and wondered if it could be from the battery/alternator problem. I'll be fitting the new alt and battery over the next day or two so I'll keep an eye on this. At least is wasn't the injector fault I had last time!

Pretty sure VVT not working correctly will bring this up but like dave said could be because of yhe battery being drained?

New alternator fitted and engine bay back together. Will collect my new battery tomorrow, fire up and check voltage is normal.

null_zps8eda0b85.jpg

My manifold heat shield decided to brake off when I was refitting the charge pipe. I'm guessing it's been doing a good job looking at the scorch marks.

null_zpsfca12cbe.jpg

null_zps0575d7cd.jpg

I've put another hole in it to bolt it to my rocker cover and it's a lot more sturdy this time round so I'm happy with that.

Not had an update for a while. Main reason is there wasn't much more I wanted to do to the car after it had its map done. The car was then being used as a daily driver by my girlfriend as she had a 50 mile round trip to work compared to my 100 miler and it worked out a lot cheaper to swap cars. The other reason for no updates was due to a lack of money as any spare cash was being put into decorating the house we bought last year. So what next?.....

I've always wanted to free up the S3 so it could be turned into a weekend and track toy without having to worry about the fact it needed to get one of us to work on the Monday morning after being ragged to hell and back on a track. The only way to do this was to buy another car. I'd kept my eye on A4s with the plan to get a 1.9tdi at some point but my savings kept finding a habit of being spent on other things. Just when I had enough for an A4 I decided it was a good time to propose to the girlfriend and so the car account was reduced to £0 to fund a ring :(

I thought it would just take me another year of saving before I could start to enjoy the S3 when a mate called a week ago with some good news! His work had 2 Vauxhall Combo vans 1.7CDTI that they were selling off cheap as they were paid off, not being used much, and had been abused. So it's not the type of diesel I wanted but it should end up being a nice cheap runner that will save me and my mrs around £100 a month combined. It's a 2008 van with 86k miles on the clock and had a new clutch 6 months ago. There is an issue with 2nd and 4th gears but I suspect a worn linkage or the garage that did the clutch change hasn't reset the linkage properly. This should be a cheap easy fix.

I'll be using the van as my daily and the mrs will be going back to a 1.2 corsa. This means the S3 will be coming off the road till next year.

As we now have a wedding booked for next year and we're STILL decorating I don't have any money to put into the S3. I'm planning to sell the interior to fund OMP bucket seats, subframes, and side mounts. I want to sell my two sets of TT wheels to fund a lightweight set, and I want to get some hard poly bushes on in place of the OE bushes. I'll only be able to spend what I can make from stripping the inside. I don't want a horrible uncomfortable car so I'll be keeping the carpet, AC, heating etc. looking forward to it all.

Watch this space...

Reactions: Jay A3, [Dave B], ScottD3 and 4 others
I know how you feel matey, ive just joined the house crea and im ****** skint and it isnt even fully built yet.

Reactions: Westy
Nice one. I need to buy something similar. I love driving vans too? Is it white? If so you can just cut people up at will and not bother indicating. Awesome.

Nice one. I need to buy something similar. I love driving vans too? Is it white? If so you can just cut people up at will and not bother indicating. Awesome.

It's silver with the companies writing down the side of it. I'll de-sticker it and put a rolled up copy of the daily sport on the dash board though ;)

Reactions: Dani_B19
Glad you got a diesel sorted mate. I considered a van, but needed more seats as I have to sort the kids with childminders etc. Looking forward to the s3 plans next year though!

Edit, I'm a ******. :)

Just a pair of ratchet straps? Not a bad idea. I will own a van at some point though! It's a man's requirement.

Vans FTW! Just bought a 2009 caddy and taken my S3 off the road over the winter

Reactions: StaceyS3 and Westy
My plans are: Clutch and Downpipe then maybe look at stripping some weight out, going to attempt the clutch myself on the drive! Then I just want to get the bodywork looking 'as new'

westy thanks for such a awesome thread been looking at replacing my coil pack loom and your well organized thread helped me alot! thanks bud

We miss regular Fred updates :(

I got all excited when i saw it come to the top, not that I don't like Miggles, but I thought there was news!

We miss regular Fred updates :(

I got all excited when i saw it come to the top, not that I don't like Miggles, but I thought there was news!

I miss regular updates too :(

Basically I hardly drive the car anymore and it makes me sad. Due to my 100 miles a day commute it's just too expensive to fuel the S. as mentioned further up I now have a new daily which requires a bit of fixing:

null_zpsc98ccd23.jpg

Once this beast is on the road and I've given the mrs back her corsa I will be attacking the S3 with the track stick!

Unfortunately buying and decorating a house together with planning a wedding takes away all your time and money. I hope to rekindle my love for the S3 again soon. We've just finished decorating the lounge which should be it till next year so I now just need to find the time to remove the van's gearbox.

If you want be to start a house modifying thread I've got loads of updates lol.

Hi all. Long time, no updates.

The above van was sold at Xmas as it was too much hassle for me to get the box out and find another. 2 weeks ago my mrs' corsa decided to eat the anode of a spark plug an destroy the piston and valves of cylinder 1! I travelled to Peterbourough on Friday to view a nice grey golf GT TDI as a replacement and bought it. Should be picking it up in the week.

Today I took the S3 down to central London to get an MOT and meet Flying Oyster from the 8P boards to have a little look at his 8P A3 TDI as a possible replacement for my S3..... That's right, a replacement! It's difficult to believe but after 5 and a half years of ownership I have turned to the dark side on two counts! Once for now owning an 8P and secondly because it's a derv.

It's been a great time owning the S3 an I've had a lot of fun with it but priorities change and I needed a diesel, I now have 2 ;)

I'll get some pics up of my new car fleet once we've collected the golf.

I'll still be popping into the 8L forum to post a bit but I suppose I'll be banished to the 8P boards now....

I cant say i blame you. The 8p are so much better inside and the new diesels are just lovely. If i used a car as a daily id have an 8p s3 no doubt. Great cars! Good for you fella, only downside is the 8l lot lose another knowledgable helper.
Pics asap!!

I think our dear chum Fred is withholding a little information about his new motor :laugh: it's a monster!

Happy and Sad for you Fred, but if it's right for you, then it's right.

So long as you're still around then all's good.