W3STY's Progress Thread

What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
Just got home with my car and I fricking love it!

It was such a nice drive home. On the motorway it drives great off boost due to all the ignition timing, then on boost it pulls like a train.

I have graphs galore showing loads of different logs but the one were all interested in says 305bhp and 338lbft :faint:

I'll get the graph scanned in when I'm at work next week.

305bhp and 338lbft :faint:

Epic result matey!

Figures like that make all the hard work worth it! 338lbft must be SERIOUSLY rapid, I bet it's lighting up all 4 of those ling-long specials in 2nd gear!

So now not only do you have the fastest ko4'd S3 ever down the strip, but also almost certainly the highest powered one ever running a stock turbo!

You should be very proud indeed :)

Epic result matey!

Figures like that make all the hard work worth it! 338lbft must be SERIOUSLY rapid, I bet it's lighting up all 4 of those ling-long specials in 2nd gear!

So now not only do you have the fastest ko4'd S3 ever down the strip, but also almost certainly the highest powered one ever running a stock turbo!

You should be very proud indeed :)

Yes mate I'm very happy, not that it counts for much setting those figures but I'm well pleased.

Final peak figures are 306bhp 336lbft of torque. Can't wait to drive it home tomorrow.

Awesome really pleased for you mate and all your hard work has paid off now time to enjoy :)

Trip to shakey will be in order before the year is out. Just need to acquire the green machine, do some work and we'll be good to go!

Shakespeare county raceway. Then we can get embarrassed by my mate in his r32 gtr :( lol.

Stratford upon-avon. Much better track than pod and its not as busy. They run a drag league through out the summer. You should be able to get a 13 flat minimum which my mate did in his old rx7 and won the 13 sec plus bracket and came away with a shiny trophy lol

0D1C61B5-B5BA-4108-A646-1C566785213F-6772-00000299C4FC88CF.jpg

Well done fella that's seriously impressive. Is this with wmi? Any idea what it'll run without it or will the bhp be the same just less torque due to less timing? Just wondering how much difference the wmi made to egts to run more boost and higher bhp. All the same though its a fair result. Gap between a hybrid and stock is seriously shrinking :)

Until prawns map gets updated after his rebuild and the gap widens once again

Well done fella that's seriously impressive. Is this with wmi? Any idea what it'll run without it or will the bhp be the same just less torque due to less timing? Just wondering how much difference the wmi made to egts to run more boost and higher bhp. All the same though its a fair result. Gap between a hybrid and stock is seriously shrinking :)

This is with 50/50 WMI mixture on the medium sized AEM nozzle. Niki has mapped it to extreme conditions to replicate a hot summer. Or in his words "driving in Egypt up a steep hill" lol.

The map is set to add or remove timing depending on AITs. The AITs didn't go above 22 degrees with ambient temps of 17-18 degrees. It hasn't been run without WMI but the map will pull timing right out if the WMI was to fail or if my FMIC had an issue.

My next mod will be a large inlet mani just to add a touch more flow ;)

Can I be a nonce and ask why the readings go under the graph? Trying to upload my graph from rtech as it made similar power but less torque. Awesome results tho man! I had the great pleasure of deving back to Scotland after picking my car up smiling all the way haha!

should add that's with a lottery cr turbos stage 4 turbo but the with similar other mods :)

Nice result westicles... :)

Got mine going on the dyno tomorrow... looking forward to getting some boost ;P

...and Niki's not the only one with torque intervention fixes ;P

<tuffty/>

so is that a stock KO4 Turboed S3 that's quicker than Klappe's old A3?

lol, come to the pub for a pint ;)

Please find attached picture of me eating a hat -

487089_10151424779840130_2064919155_n.jpg

-

Westicles, I'm over the moon for you bro! Standard Niki smoothness and proper man figures, did you get him to map in some launch control for you as well?

So sad I can't see you rinsing everybody (seeing as Prawn won't be there :p) at ADI, and with Bumble out the way you've got one of the best cars on the forum now. Propper propper pleased for you :)

:friends:

Last edited:
Reactions: Westy
Nice result westicles... :)

Got mine going on the dyno tomorrow... looking forward to getting some boost ;P

...and Niki's not the only one with torque intervention fixes ;P

<tuffty/>

Thanks mate.

I know niki has been sharing the wealth on the torque intervention side of things. He's also had revo and CC asking about it too.

I really hope they unlock the same potential on your car as they did on mine. Mine went up 30bhp just by sorting out the TI (torque intervention), all your hard work will pay off matey :thumbsup:

Did they turn torque intervention off or just map around it? Turning it off isn't really anything new but maybe realising its happening and mapping accordingly is. Impressive either way.

Fantastic mate, as ive said on other threads if mine gets 260 i will be happy, if i get close to yours then i will be over the fooking moon

Fantastic mate, as ive said on other threads if mine gets 260 i will be happy, if i get close to yours then i will be over the fooking moon

You won't get near mine without all the hardware I have ;)

Dan I don't know the ins and outs of the mapping, but I'm hoping niki will post on here soon to explain. I've asked him to take a look at this thread so he might be fighting his way through pages and pages of stuff.

Did they turn torque intervention off or just map around it? Turning it off isn't really anything new but maybe realising its happening and mapping accordingly is. Impressive either way.

Every 1.8T map has this issue some worse than others even stock maps the S3 and TT suffer worse both on the dyno and road as the intervention can be felt at most stages of tune.
The issue has been a problem since day one on all maps in the uk market, but its gone unseen as the vdcs logging as been to slow, its only since Me7 direct logging I have chance to looking this issue with pulastions during power runs and while using an emulator I have managed to find a cure for the logged errors which I have been testing all week on over 15 cars now. The result are amazing, if it was that common to fix this issues then i would expect to see all tuners doing something about it. There are many levels of torque intervention and many reasons for it, most maps I have seen do have some torque maps switched off, but not the maps to cure the issues I found monday.

I have tested the map fix on 4 dynos and using butt dynos of customers and a few other tuners in the UK and the result have been amazing. I would be nice to see this basic fix/cheat/patch added to every map out there as it will transform eveyones tuned 1.8T. I am looking forward to seeing the results from Pauls S3 tomorrow.

Its part of the reason a 1.8T me7.5 car make low power on a Dyno dynamic rolling road and the dyno PIDs and PIDs from the ecu intervention counter each other, giving a lower reading but very smooth graphs.

I did not even know the issue exsisted until a few month back when Bill and Tufty pointed it out and showed me graphs of 10deg timing cut every 50ms or so. And for the last few month I have been trying yo get my head around it.

Nick

The torque intervention is not a new thing, but the way to deal with it is a recent ish addition to the mapping fraternity.

The generic stage 1 and 2 maps are what they are generally and generally do not hit the load figures until the top end to where the intervention kicks in. Also stage 1 and 2 maps generally are not expected to have rods fitted. To map to the Nth degree like yours on a custom map requires much more load to be put on the system to make the power and torque figures. Niki did well as always, but I think people re getting carried away comparing generic std maps with what you have done and tbh it's chalk and cheese.

I have always been able to make good power from the older AGUs, I put it down to the large port head the reason I can make easy power from them. I never thought it would have been an underlaying mapping issue what was holding the me7.5 cars back from having the power as good as the AGUs.

The graph below is from the first k04 AGU which I mangaed to hit over 300bhp early this year (without WMI) it took me close on 3 weeks to get the car to this power. I found the only way to hit a realistic 300bhp is slow the turbo spooling down and holding the boost back until later in the rpm, which on a dyno graph gives a step effect. If the turbo is spooling to fast pre 4000rpm then its not going to flow the air needed to make 300bhp. As you can see below keeping turbine speeds lower down low makes more peak bhp. I use this tuning method on AGU AMK and BAM setups, but its only this week I have managed to get the BAM/AMK to run the same power with the same boost.
If you have a spikey K04 then dont expect huge bhp, 21/22psi boost is more than enough to get the numbers needed to wave willys down the pub..lol the torque band is made up from getting the fuel and timing spot on the make the power without having the boost to do all the hard work.
cb879dd4.jpg

Everyone knows I bum you a bit Niki, but seriously. You're the business.

It wasn't a slur on your good work. I was just making clear that the comparisons were being made from standard maps(revo ,CC etc) to your full on bespoke custom map. A completely different entity to the std offerings from many

It wasn't a slur on your good work. I was just making clear that the comparisons were being made from standard maps(revo ,CC etc) to your full on bespoke custom map. A completely different entity to the std offerings from many

I know you wont slur.. lol I saw your point straightway

All my custom map findings get added to all my generic maps, which as from Sept 2012 puts out generic maps on Generation 16 since 2006 when we started doing the Gen 1 maps.

I have always been able to make good power from the older AGUs, I put it down to the large port head the reason I can make easy power from them. I never thought it would have been an underlaying mapping issue what was holding the me7.5 cars back from having the power as good as the AGUs.

The graph below is from the first k04 AGU which I mangaed to hit over 300bhp early this year (without WMI) it took me close on 3 weeks to get the car to this power. I found the only way to hit a realistic 300bhp is slow the turbo spooling down and holding the boost back until later in the rpm, which on a dyno graph gives a step effect. If the turbo is spooling to fast pre 4000rpm then its not going to flow the air needed to make 300bhp. As you can see below keeping turbine speeds lower down low makes more peak bhp. I use this tuning method on AGU AMK and BAM setups, but its only this week I have managed to get the BAM/AMK to run the same power with the same boost.

nick, is this not down to the actuator? if you blow it open at 26psi below 4k then its never going to recover or close but you keep it tame below 4k when you need it closed at high rpm it will be and give you more turbine speed..

Have you run a stock K04 on an uprated actuator to see what you get?

Epic results Neil I'm really looking forward to ADI. I really am starting to have the mod itch and cant stop looking for bits to get me going, next year will be the start of an expensive year for my car me thinks :thumbsup:

Chris.

Are we talking about tuning KFMIOP to correctly match a modified KFMIRL, the anti judder system (KFDMDARO/KFDMDADP/KIFZGHG), or something else?