W3STY's Progress Thread

What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
what temp did you have the oven, and how long? lol

i think it looks good. dont do the brace. just some vac hoses and a few other small ones would finish it nicely.

90 degrees c for 1 hour.

It doesn't need much more, just a few little touches to clean up the bay. Could do with giving the charge pipe a little touch of paint when I get time.

Reactions: jitvv
90 degrees c for 1 hour.

It doesn't need much more, just a few little touches to clean up the bay. Could do with giving the charge pipe a little touch of paint when I get time.

Can I have that in gas mark too please?

...and do I have to leave mine in longer as its large port?

;P

<tuffty/>

To change the subject slightly, I have ordered some Bosch 550cc injectors.

I have been told by 2 sources that I should be ok to fit these and run them with my current map (temporarily till I get a custom map) as my wideband car should be able to dial out the extra fuel. I thought that this would be a safer option to go back to the 3 bar FPR, 550cc injectors, and have more fuel then to be running my standard injectors to the limit on a 4 bar FPR.

Any thoughts?

I have been told by 2 sources that I should be ok to fit these and run them with my current map (temporarily till I get a custom map) as my wideband car should be able to dial out the extra fuel. I thought that this would be a safer option to go back to the 3 bar FPR, 550cc injectors, and have more fuel then to be running my standard injectors to the limit on a 4 bar FPR.

Any thoughts?

As said, the ECU should cope up to 25% adaptation. That is the limit of the ECU adaptation. After that it's EML time. 550 @ 3 BAR is still quite a lot of fuel!!

That said, what you are also doing is future proofing the engine. If you buy them now and have them set up with a custom map at A N Other time, then there is always room for more should it be needed.

Also, 3 BAR is a better option for fuel pump longevity.

All points win.

Any thoughts?

I would say it's a good idea mate. As it's wideband it'll adjust, and it's better to be understressing some large injectors then it is to overload the stock ones. I'm sure you'll do some logging anway.

As said, the ECU should cope up to 25% adaptation. That is the limit of the ECU adaptation. After that it's EML time. 550 @ 3 BAR is still quite a lot of fuel!!

That said, what you are also doing is future proofing the engine. If you buy them now and have them set up with a custom map at A N Other time, then there is always room for more should it be needed.

Also, 3 BAR is a better option for fuel pump longevity.

All points win.

I need to do some sums to work out if my fuelling with fall into the 25% bracket or not.

I would say it's a good idea mate. As it's wideband it'll adjust, and it's better to be understressing some large injectors then it is to overload the stock ones. I'm sure you'll do some logging anway.

Yeah you know me, I'm a logging mad man.

Ok, a few sums.

The standard injectors are 380cc @ 3 bar pressure. I am currently running them @ 4 bar of pressure (apparently adding 15%) making them 437cc.

Now, I assume that the ECU will throw up an EML if the fuel adaption is more then 25% on 380cc injectors @ 3 bar??? I'm not sure if I can work this out by the injector capacity or not but 25% of 380 is 95 and the 550cc injectors are 170cc bigger then standard so I'm guessing that I'm going to trigger a light?

25% of 550 = 137.5
550 - 137.5 = 412.5cc which would be less then the current 437cc I'm running

I'm not sure any of this is even making sense lol.

Last edited:
Ok, a few sums.

The standard injectors are 380cc @ 3 bar pressure. I am currently running them @ 4 bar of pressure (apparently adding 15%) making them 437cc.

Now, I assume that the ECU will throw up an EML if the fuel adaption is more then 25% on 380cc injectors @ 3 bar??? I'm not sure if I can work this out by the injector capacity or not but 25% of 380 is 95 and the 550cc injectors are 170cc bigger then standard so I'm guessing that I'm going to trigger a light?

25% of 550 = 137.5
550 - 137.5 = 412.5cc which would be less then the current 437cc I'm running

I'm not sure any of this is even making sense lol.

I thought it was 25% either way? Meaning the 550's will scale low enough to make them a great success, and mean you can stop driving like old lady.

Here is the Welly solution to this problem.

Fit them, drive it, log for long term adjustment fuel trims.

See what happens.

:thumbsup:

Is it "Lambda Control Bank 1" Block 001?

If it is, my current percentage is around -20% with the 4 bar FPR.

Block 32, right hand of the 2 percentages is the long term fuel trim.

If you're hitting - 20% IIRC thats removing 20% of the fuel you have already with the 4 BAR, which sounds about right. The injectors are flowing more for the same pulse duration than the ECU expects -hence the adaptation.

However if it's already at -20% then it can't have been that far off on stock injectors.

Block 32, right hand of the 2 percentages is the long term fuel trim.

If you're hitting - 20% IIRC thats removing 20% of the fuel you have already with the 4 BAR, which sounds about right. The injectors are flowing more for the same pulse duration than the ECU expects -hence the adaptation.

However if it's already at -20% then it can't have been that far off on stock injectors.

I've got a lot of block 001 and 031 but no 032 :think: maybe the fuel adaptation figure isn't as bad as I think it is. Anyway, we shall see once the injectors arrive.

I've got a lot of block 001 and 031 but no 032 :think: maybe the fuel adaptation figure isn't as bad as I think it is. Anyway, we shall see once the injectors arrive.

You using the lite version or full version?

<tuffty/>

So it is block 001 then? Here's my log from the 4bar FPR:
2-AFR-4bar-FPR.jpg
-18.8 was the highest reading.

001 will give live lambda adjustment... block 032 will show long term and short term trims...

<tuffty/>

001 will give live lambda adjustment... block 032 will show long term and short term trims...

<tuffty/>

Ah yes, that's the figure that resets to 0 every time you clear the engine codes! I am constantly clearing an EML for my removed EVAP can so I will need to run the car a bit before taking that reading.

Ah yes, that's the figure that resets to 0 every time you clear the engine codes! I am constantly clearing an EML for my removed EVAP can so I will need to run the car a bit before taking that reading.

It will do that... resetting fault codes resets adaptions to 0...

Custom map beckons :)

<tuffty/>

It will do that... resetting fault codes resets adaptions to 0...

Custom map beckons :)

<tuffty/>

Oh no doubt I'll be getting a custom map in the next 3-4 months but I was just looking at the possibility of running the 550s till that day as a temporary measure to ensure safer fuelling.

I've already had one bad fuelling experience and I dont want another ;)

I suspect 550's on a 380cc map is probably going to end up outside the adaption limits.

Too much fuel can be just as bad as not enough.

That said, it shouldnt take much at all to adjust your existing map to accommodate the larger injectors, one value in a single table would sort it as a quick fix that'd take about 5 minutes to do.

I suspect 550's on a 380cc map is probably going to end up outside the adaption limits.

Too much fuel can be just as bad as not enough.

That said, it shouldnt take much at all to adjust your existing map to accommodate the larger injectors, one value in a single table would sort it as a quick fix that'd take about 5 minutes to do.

If its something that can be done via unisettings just for a month or two then that would be great.

If its something that can be done via unisettings just for a month or two then that would be great.

Changes made in unisettings will work for this, but you do need to be careful.

Dropping some fuel out in unisettings should drop injector pulse down, and then adaptation should clear it up from there.

Last edited:
Dialling in KRKTE isn't always as easy as it suggests... there is also TVUB to do and a few other tables to dial in to get fuelling spot on...

<tuffty/>

Dialling in KRKTE isn't always as easy as it suggests... there is also TVUB to do and a few other tables to dial in to get fuelling spot on...

<tuffty/>

Ofcourse, but roughly dialling in KRKTE is going to be better than just shoving them in and having the ECU jammed around against its adaption limits!

Ofcourse, but roughly dialling in KRKTE is going to be better than just shoving them in and having the ECU jammed around against its adaption limits!

Assuming he is doing the mapping himself... but I don't believe Neil is and as he has a Revo 2 then its not possible anyway... new map required in which case roughly dialling in KRKTE becomes irrelevant..

<tuffty/>

Cheers for the input guys. It's always nice to test these kind of things if possible and get info on it.

On a different note, I've just received an email from my contact at AEM in the US and he's goin to replace my WMI nozzle again :yahoo:

Why cant the revo map have its KRKTE adjusted? Have they fcked with the code that much that the tables arent in the same places any more?!

Why cant the revo map have its KRKTE adjusted? Have they fcked with the code that much that the tables arent in the same places any more?!

Revo can only be successfully flashed using their own tools and checksums... making any adjustments in the code would require a recalc of the checksums... plus its a breach of copyright to mess with Revo code anyway...

<tuffty/>