W3STY's Progress Thread

What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
But Tuffty would you recommend I get a full custom map or just get unisetting tweaks done to my stage 2?

Custom at this stage mate tbh... especially with all your hardware changes... would be able to get it dialled in perfectly then... unisettings can only do so much

<tuffty/>

Just Fitted my AEM filter. Just got to remove the nozzle, flush the system through, fill with water, and leave the nozzle in an empty bucket to see I it's still symphonic. If it is then I shall be buying a check valve.

c8347f40.jpg

Tight fit!

09befde0.jpg

can't believe you've been having so many problems with your WMI setup man, such a shame!

How careful are you with what you put into the tank? I'm very careful with mine, only use De-ionised water that Dad filtered, and the methanol, all in super clean containers to ensure no dirt gets in there.

Isn't Welly running monster injectors scaled to work on his ko4 hybrid map still using uni settings?

he was.. but his is narrow band lambda, his lambda did'nt work anyhow and was disconnected, and fueling on part load was uber rich...
not ideal..

bung in bigger injectors on wideband, and it will adapt them settings back out on cruise.. nett result nowhere over time whilst it adapts back out.
map change of injector scaling to do the job properly

I have built a map pack for wellys in anticipation :p

The WMI is total cack. 2 nozzles in 6 months. I do however just use tap water.

Gave the nozzle a little clean:

4168d40f.jpg

53de351a.jpg

f6c4f482.jpg

Then filled the tank up and primed the system.

ebae42e1.jpg

And..... it's still leaking :(

3f09d5d6.jpg

Going to leave it overnight and see how much syphons. I think I'll be buying an inline check valve next.

You want to ask for a full refund, i think they would soon sort you out with a working valve,,
Mine is exactly the same Prawn, so certainly not a one off..

Dave I sent you the response I got direct from AEM. It's a joke.

Here's a little exert for the rest of you:

"Neil,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having this issue again. The only thing I can think of would be to run an inline water meth solenoid valve. We don’t make one because we really don’t have this issue with our kits but I’ve seen other users install their own just so they have a peace of mind. I would suggest this. Our water meth line is a standard ¼” push to connect hose. As long as the inline water meth solenoid valve fits ¼” hose it will work."

We really don't have this issue with our kits hahahaha what a joker.

What's odd though, is that so many people have used AEM kits without issue.

Do you run meth and tap water? or just tap water?

How soon did the problems start? Mine's been on for several months now, and never syphoned a drop, I got paranoid after your issues and often mark the fluid level with tape after a drive, and it's never dropped.

An inline check valve has to be a solid cure for this though, like Marty runs on his older AEM setup

Let's play spot the difference:

19:30 Tuesday

3f09d5d6.jpg

06:16 Wednesday

d95325c5.jpg

I'll leave it 24 hours to see just how much has syphoned.

Any recommendations as to what inline check valve to use? AEM don't do one any more as it's integrated into the nozzle and even if they did do one I wouldn't trust it :motz:

Last edited:
this would be more relevant when controlled on/off by the controller.
we used it just on ign feed, so open all the time the cars running, and just isolates when you switch off (and it potentially siphons)
I cant see there being any residual back pressure on the pump using it as we did

Thanks Bill, I'll give this solenoid a go then.

I'll still be sending AEM another snooty email today with pics and videos of their crappy leaking check valve.

EDIT: Bill, do you use any fancy water?

Last edited:
nope, plain ole tap water, but its not a hard water area where I am, so if hard water where you are I would consider DI or filtered

nope, plain ole tap water, but its not a hard water area where I am, so if hard water where you are I would consider DI or filtered

When I was living at home it was a hard water are but we had a water softener on the line so I used that water. Where I live now isn't a hard water are but I think I'll by a cheap filter of some sort.

I think the main issue is AEM's crappy check valves.

You sure your missus hasn't drugged you and stolen the keys and given it a good old thrashing down the bypass?

I could use that much meth in one evening if I really tried!

Hit and Miss?

If that's the case, I'm worried. I've had a solid results on both of the above, which I think in theory sets me up for a fall soon :p

They always say that about shipping because they usually include it in the price but I just got a set of ground control mounts off there for $180 shipped here. Bargain. Got a few bargains on there to be honest...

Yeah, those are the older style injectors too. Those ones Tuffty linked to look better.

Well, a full meth tank of water syphoned in 36 hours :faint:

I've emailed AEM with pics and my video and I'm demanding another replacement. I won't run the replacement until I have the Devils Own solenoid in place too. This will be a belt and braces setup that will hopefully last a bit longer then 6 months.

Had a spare 30 mins today so I thought I'd get round to adjusting some hoses in my engine bay.

Firstly I needed to shorten the PCV hose from the rocker cover as the T-piece was rubbing on the TIP.

f3a8e5cf.jpg

I then wanted to plumb my DV into the old evap vac nipple. There were two reasons for this. Firstly, it looked ugly blocked off. And secondly, I wanted the DV to have its own vac feed so I could loose the T-piece for my boost gauge and give that it's own vac source too:

089dab58.jpg

34c36b1d.jpg

00d82775.jpg

03a27c22.jpg

I now have the FPR on its own source, the DV on its own source, and then the boost gauge on its own but with a T-piece for the WMI controller.

Next job is to remove my shabby inlet mani and paint it kermit green like the rocker cover.

Started painting the inlet mani yesterday:

600e84b8.jpg

6bb5b98f.jpg

bf29ab79.jpg

e07b4498.jpg

Hoping to have it refitted tonight after it's done an hour in the oven to cure. I've also ordered some green vac hose to dress the bay a little bit more.

Dont forget the strutt brace.....:)

I'm still undecided on that mate. I'll see what things look like once the mani is back in.

At least with the strut brace I can take it off the car for a week and still use the car. Which will give me more time to prep the strut for painting. I didn't have time to do a real good job on the mani so I hope it lasts.

Into the oven with the mani:

70fa34dc.jpg

A much better finish then the rocker cover which wouldn't fit in the oven:

dab856bb.jpg

Then all fitted back on the car:

d87287cd.jpg

27d96b64.jpg

e85bcf03.jpg

I've ordered some green vacuum hose to go with the theme. Need to tidy a few other bits like the charge pipe, dip stick, and washer bottle cap.