VW Touraeg buying advise..

technics100

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife currently has a 1 series BMW, Its coming up on 4 years old with 18k on the clock. I am wary about BMW's as I know little about them, a few things have went wrong with the car although they were covered under warranty (steering rack, hydraulic unit). I'm a Audi man and on my 6th VAG in a row, I have access to vag-com and will happily scan and fix faults found in my own car (2003 A4). My wife has always fancied a Touraeg and I like them too. I want to see if there is anything to look for when buying? I had a 4.2 V8 S6 but had bother with the Auto box and spent the guts of 2.5k getting it rebuilt, the fault still didn't get fixed and I sold the car on, this puts me off an auto, but I don't think the VW uses the same box. Although I think an Auto would be better in such a large motor.

Are there any known issues with the Auto's in the Touareg? Due to the mileage my wife does I would consider the 3.2 V6 or even the 4.2 V8 as the mpg as similar in the book as the 2.5TDI is only 18mpg in the book... Would prob spend 12k on one, which seems could lift an 05 2.5 tdi or similar.. even saw a 2005 4.2 with 58k on it for £12k.. and you generally get more car for your money in the petrol versions

So generally,

What to look for?
Any known Auto box problems? Torque convertor / clutch packs etc
Best Engine..

Many thanks

Adam