1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VW Passat wont start after diesel filter

Discussion in 'Diesel forum' started by A3-frankie, Apr 30, 2008.

1. A3-frankie

A3-frankie Member

[Apr 30, 2008]
    I know its not an Audi, but thought some of you may still be able to help me out.

I decided to do a small service on my dads Passat, oil, filter, air filter and diesel filter.

I could not get it started, when i done the fuel filter i filled the new filter partly with diesel from the old filter

Now when i crank the engine it starts for a second and cuts out.

Is there a manual pump somewhere im missing??

All i have gained is a flat battery, and a car that wont start :no:

Its a 1.9 TDI 110 on a P plate, i dont think it is a commen rail diesel as im sure it would of started by now.

Any sujestions would be great, thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. dunk

dunk Member

[Apr 30, 2008]
    common problem - you need to completely fill the new filter/holder with diesel, and crank and crank.

some people resorted to disconnecting the fuel hoses near the injectors and cranking to flush out the pipes.

it will start, eventually.
  4. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

[May 3, 2008]
    Totally agree, you need to ensure the new filter is completely full of diesel when you do the swap.
    This job used to be a doddle on my old 80 TDI (same filter is used as on the A4) as the system seemed to self-bleed but on the A4 it's horrid, one of those jobs I hate doing now to tell the truth......lol.
  5. Rev-head

Rev-head Active Member

[May 4, 2008]
    Even easier way is to floor it while you turn it over , will fill filter quick smart