Volvo Competion

GreatBallsofFire

Reaction score
Volvo is now launching their bi-turbo, extremely fuel efficient, yet powerful, engines (180-190 bhp) in their new A3 segment cars. Why is no bi-turbo offered for any A3? Is Audi, in spite of the PR-bragging, lagging behind? Any idea when we will see it offered in A3's?

A testimony from the signature BenW8

"
I collected my wife's new Volvo V40 D2 R-Design in Passion Red today. I have taken a few photographs but have so far only been able to upload one of them. I am delighted with the car, I think it looks really classy and sporty. The cabin of the car is fantastic and in my opinion far exceeds that of any Audi that I have been in. The drive is quiet and comfortable if not exciting, although there is poor than enough power available if needed. I will update in a few day when I have had chance to drive the car for a few more days.... "

New Volvo V40 D2 R-Design - Volvo Owners Club Forum

And by the way, Volvo is, as far as I know, still offering manual gearbox in all models ;)

Surely Audi will follow this closely. Perhaps one should better wait buying the next Audi A3 until Audi has responded.. ?

To late for me though ;)

Last edited:
twin turbos are generally for performance without turbo lag rather than efficiency, aren't they?

twin turbos are generally for performance without turbo lag rather than efficiency, aren't they?

I think so, without being sure. My Audi is very slow until turbo kicks in. Rather be without it, if possible (and still maintaining fuel consumption)

I understand there is a small turbo and a larger turbo, which works similar to those engines which have a supercharger and a turbo.

I had a V40 D2 in Sweden a couple of weeks back - not R-Design and definitely not quick! Nice car but no A3, far too many buttons going on in the cabin IMHO. However, quite staggering how many km it did out of a tank - 1,300km on a 52l tank! But that's also helped by the nice empty Swedish roads and cruise control at 100kmph.

I had a V40 D2 in Sweden a couple of weeks back - not R-Design and definitely not quick! Nice car but no A3, far too many buttons going on in the cabin IMHO. However, quite staggering how many km it did out of a tank - 1,300km on a 52l tank! But that's also helped by the nice empty Swedish roads and cruise control at 100kmph.
I prefer Audi's cabine and interior every day in the week, so I agree. If they sort that out (which they apparently are about to do, e.g lot of hight tech good looking digital stuff, hopefully not forgetting including some premium feeling). That'll be the day..

The v40 is based on the mk3 focus platform and one of the models shares the 1.6 ecoboost engine. I looked at them, along with the golf and the a3, but decided the v40 was just too ugly...

I understand there is a small turbo and a larger turbo, which works similar to those engines which have a supercharger and a turbo.

Yes, the big turbo gives the performance, but being big it takes a while to spin up so lots of lag. The small turbo is there to 'fill the gap' as it were before the big one spins up and reduce turbo lag.

The Volvo interior looks well considered ergonomically but I wouldn't say it's prettier. There are some fairly clumsy looking lumps, it's certainly not sleek.

I kind of respect Volvo's for the fact they dare to be different, but they just don't have that certain magic ingredient to make me open my wallet. After the recent surge of women driving the white 'Twilight-esque' C30's round here, it put me off the brand even more.

Reactions: GreatBallsofFire
I don't like the 'masses of buttons on the central console' thing that Volvo (amongst others) do - far prefer the minimalist look in the A3 really.

Reactions: warren_S5 and GreatBallsofFire
But what about the new twin turbo, high power yet fuel efficient tdi engines- do you think Audi is lagging behind?

But what about the new twin turbo, high power yet fuel efficient tdi engines- do you think Audi is lagging behind?

Yes. The only twin turbo diesel is in the A6 and that starts at £50k without any options. The diesel lumps in the nostril faced Bimmers are more economical, generally have better performance, so I do wonder what the Le Mans programme has really delivered to the road. I remember back in the day the PD VAG engines were amazing. Since then the game hasn't really moved on now they've switched to CR's.

I don't like the 'masses of buttons on the central console' thing that Volvo (amongst others) do - far prefer the minimalist look in the A3 really.

I reckon they'll all be going the same way as Audi, I know for sure that the Mk3.5 mid-term Focus revision will be...