1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volkswagen Corrado G60 - Ultimate Dubs 'prep'(!)

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Jimmeh, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Mar 16, 2010]
    Hi all - you've probably already seen a few of the snaps from the Ultimate Dubs picture thread here on AS, but, here's what I was up to the week prior to the show:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Volkswagen Corrado G60 – Enhancement/Show-Prep

A close friend managed to secure a place in the indoor exhibition at the Ultimate Dubs show in Telford (having previously tried for the last five consecutive years.) This was kind of a big deal for him.. The car would be entering the “Show ‘n Shine” along with a few other Corrado’s and hundreds of other mint VW’s

However, knowing that this car is a daily driver and has its battle scars, has racked up a fair few miles and would be driven to the event, we weren’t sure how well we’d get on against those that are transported there by trailer, those that are only ran for 4 months of the year and those that have had well over four figures thrown at them for restoration work. Still, we’ll do our best!

Product

• AutoSmart G101
    • AutoSmart Tardis
    • AutoGlym Fast Glass
    • AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber Care
    • AutoSol
    • Belgom ALU
    • Chemical Guys JetSEAL901
    • Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel
    • Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
    • Dodo Juice LimePrime
    • Dodo Juice SuperNatural
    • Jeffs Werkstat Prime
    • Meguiars Last Touch
    • Meguiars Super Degreaser
    • Meguiars APC
    • Menzerna Final Finish 106 FA
    • Optimal No Rinse (ONR)
    • PoorBoys Black Hole
    • Zaino Z8 Grand Finale

The original plan was to get as much done to the car as possible in three given days... Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday prior to the show. Aiming for full correction, full engine-bay, wheels off and an interior job. Even though I worked 10+ hours on each of the three days, I ended up achieving no where near this..

“Why?” On the Tuesday, my plan was to pop round in the afternoon, whip the wheels off to clean them inside and out, prep the arches and calipers and to tidy the garage so there is reasonable space in the already cluttered double garage.. On arrival however, the car in question was jacked up in the garage on axle-stands and its engine was being ripped to pieces.. Looks to be a big job!

Turns out, it was. The chap working on the engine was there until Thursday infact, so with my kit dotted around and his tools/jacks/stands etc in the cluttered and small garage, it proved to be an awfully tricky working environment.

To some it up, it was a terrible working week. If anything, it has highlighted the importance of a clean, well lit, spacious and clutter-free environment to be working in.. From the beginning, I wasn’t comfortable and the final result may be reflected by this …

So, here are a few inspection photos..

Car as I arrived:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

…See what I mean about the cluttered surroundings? Even if the garage had of been completely empty I’d have still struggled with the given space.

In looking back now, I’m struggling to remember “what happened when...” It’s all a bit of a blur! I’ll do my best to document the pictures as and when it happened in the week..

The only thing I could get on with on the Tuesday was prep the front two wheels as they were off already (calipers and arches would have to come later when the car is moved outside and wheels taken off again to allow ‘wet-work’ to happen)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The D90 Porsche wheels are stunning – they’re diamond cut and are awfully shiny when cleaned up.

The N/S front however was in a right mess; the CV boot had exploded just a few days prior to my arrival and left a thick layer of grease on the alloy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortunately, the O/S front wasn’t too bad:

[​IMG]

AutoSmart G101 and Tardis used to clean up the front facings and then various products were used to assist the removal of the sticky grease...

[​IMG]

Another difficulty I had with the wheels was Thread Lock residues. At first, I could only assume it was tar deposits, however after experimenting with Tardis and a Clay bar, it was obvious this product wasn’t going to shift anytime soon..

Meanwhile, as the engine bay is being torn apart, I’m given half of its contents to clean. Hoses, brackets, plastics, fans, radiator(!) and clips.

[​IMG]

Most of which scrubbed with G101 and later dressed with appropriate products..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I remember correctly, the above engine work was carried out on the Tuesday afternoon. Later on, as there was nothing else I could get on with due to space, I took the front two wheels home with me to polish and protect. That night at around 6pm, I headed back round to tackle the engine-bay as it’d finished being stripped and re-loomed.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the coolant reservoir exploded too leaving a nice coating of brown mucky water on everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Working into the night with halogen light assistance, I was able to get it looking like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still room for improvement though, but what with more engine work in there required, and, a broken back (car is stupidly low to the floor!) I called it a night.

Wednesday 9am I returned and first thing was to get the car out of the garage to allow wet-work to start. (Without a running engine it proved very difficult to shift the car manually.. argh!)

The boys carried on tinkering around in the engine bay:

[​IMG]

I on the other hand, had the rear jacked up and was in process of taking the wheels off.

You see the black deposits at the bottom of the rim? That’s the Thread Lock residues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tardis coupled with lots of elbow grease improved things, but, it left a pinky/purple streak in the finish that just wouldn’t shift.

Claying improved the overall look though, just leaving Jeffs Prime and JetSEAL901 to cleanse and protect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst the wheels were off and the car was outside, I spent a little while cleaning the arches and sprucing the calipers as they’d lost their ‘glow’.

No after photos..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Again, as the car was still being played with at the front, there was little I could do.

One thing that I could do was the exhaust:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Mar 16, 2010]
    Time goes by; I trip over a few things and stay-calm by drinking coffee and listening to some old school ‘beats!’

I manage to find my way up to the front callipers (I think we had to drop it again at this point to shuffle it right a little to allow space on the N/S only to jack it up once more! What a pain.)

[​IMG]

And in the meantime, the boys had done a nice job in the engine bay in tidying the loom:

[​IMG]

Coming close to mid afternoon now, we’re only an hour or two away from darkness. Car was moved yet again to give access to doorshuts so I could crack on there (however these were covered in overspray as both sides of the car and bonnet had recently been sprayed)

50/50 on the parcel shelf, why not?

[​IMG]

More engine bay progress:

[​IMG]

Head back on (after sanding, priming and painting), coolant reservoir replaced and painted also and new Samco hoses being installed, too.

Turns out, it’s the owners’ birthday today. Free cake! Happy, happy days.

[​IMG]

It was made clear that the vehicle needs to be washed and clayed that evening to allow an early start in the morning with some machine work. We managed to find an hour so the G60 was pulled back and given the wash treatment..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As said, most of the panels had been freshly painted, so, little contaminants were found on the car from the clay session.

Once dried and prepped, it goes back into the garage for the night and I thought I’d do a few test combo’s to see what’s what.

The painted panels were horrendous. Epic buffer trails left from the bodyshop work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Limeprime on a 3M Yellow Polishing Pad was put against the bonnet.. Although it cleared the hologramming, there was still room for improvement with the mass amount of deeper marks.

Menz 106 FA used on a Megs yellow polishing and results were much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bonus. I’ve finally had results! And on that bombshell, I called it a night.

‘Rise and shine’, and, where is everybody? Turns out, one of the oil feed/supercharger return bolts(?) had snapped on them whilst putting a last few touches down in the engine bay. The only replacement part was an hour and a half’s drive away. It just gets better, doesn’t it?

This did however give me the most of the morning to work by myself and get the majority of the machine enhancement work out of the way.

Engine when I arrived on the Thursday:

[​IMG]

O/S front wing:

[​IMG]

O/S door:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, because of the cluttered and cramped garage, I ran out of space; I couldn’t continue any machine work unless the car was shifted (Again, no engine) outside.

[​IMG]

So with a precision “heave” and a “hoe”, I was outside. Fortunately for me, the weather held all week.

O/S rear quarter before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Mar 16, 2010]
    Lowers before:

[​IMG]

Afters:

[​IMG]

Please don’t be fooled in thinking the paint was in this condition all over the car; there were many deep scratches and etchings that at the end of the day, probably wouldn’t be safe to polish out anyway! Although MANY hours, blood sweat and tears were put into this, looking back, with the circumstances involved, it was quite a nice turnaround afterall..

The boys returned with their new bolt, fitted, installed other components (After handing more little pieces to me to clean) and its looking rather promising!

[​IMG]

CV Boot repaired/replaced..

[​IMG]

By the time I was finished with the rotary, finished with the DA & PoorBoys Black Hole and the SuperNatural wax, it was pushing 8pm. I escaped for an early night as I had a tonne of washing and re-stocking to do before going back in the morning to give a little silver Polo GTi a going over for the same show!

No photos were taken throughout Fridays activities on the Polo unfortunately.. The roof and the bonnet had similar treatment to the Corrado, and the sides/bumpers were cleansed with Jeffs Prime and then sealed with Jeffs Werkstat Jett Trigger allowing 30 minutes inbetween applications. The third coat was applied once at the show on the Saturday night..

Now originally, I was going to show my face at the Ultimate Dubs show on the Sunday. However! As there was decent trip inbetween ours and the exhibition centre, and, the cars requiring a quick prep once they get there, I packed my bags and I was off to Telford in convoy with the two cars and a boot full of kit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upon arrival, the two were washed with ONR and pat dried to reduce the risk of wash marring. After faffing about outside and re-loading the Avant, I managed to sneak my car through in to the exhibition hall where the two cars would be shown. It was around 4pm at this time on the Saturday. Judging takes place later that evening and the gates open 9am for the public on the Sunday morning. Once in position, both cars had a final wipedown of some sort (Zaino Z8/Jeffs Jett Trigger), alloys polished, tyres dressed, engines given further dressings and interiors tickled. 7:30 pm, I’m done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday night, the plan was to celebrate us eventually getting there and find a nice bar/pub to eat and drink in. In the end, we found ourselves in McDonalds for food and then swung by Asda to pick up some beer for consumption in our hotel room. I was flat-out in bed by 11pm..

The two cars which were prepped belong to a club called OEM+ ( http://www.oemodified.com/forum/index.php ) Early Sunday AM the other club members arrived and soon kitted up their club-stand outside in the arena. I was invited to show the Avant on the stand (so long as it was clean and presentable! ;) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To some it all up, it was a frustrating and tiring week, but, with the weekend’s activities, it was all worth it in the end! No, the cars didn’t win the show and shine (but we didn’t expect them too… (You should have seen the winning Corrado, MINT!)) but both the Corrado and Polo owners were more than happy with the work done, and, chuffed to see their vehicles in that condition at such event.

I’ll finish off by posting a few snaps of the cars on show, and, other miscellaneous shots that I captured throughout the day.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  5. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Active Member

[Mar 16, 2010]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brilliant.

Jim
  6. SMc

SMc Member

[Mar 16, 2010]
    Wow! some nice work there...on the detailing side and photography!

Saw the cars at the show, lovely! Spotted your Avant as I hav one too. Mine was parked inside the hall..right through the back on Saturday...light blue, standard....I wasn't part of the show but was doing a shoot of the Players Beetle for PVW mag....which was also light blue!

The quality of cars on show was amazing eh!
  7. Gops

Gops 6th gear @7000rpm

[Mar 16, 2010]
    Wicked work here jimmeh! Car look stunning. I swear thats S3_HODGE's brown bora next to it??
  8. thelomondaudigroup

thelomondaudigroup Member

[Mar 16, 2010]
    Mate you really are a genuis at what you do! Shame your not up in Scotland, can honestly say I thought guy's up here were good but car after car you don't stop impressing! Wished I had knew about the show earlier as I didn't hear about it until the day before :( Keep up the good work!
  9. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving VCDS Map User

[Mar 17, 2010]
    Great work as usual Jim matey. Gorgeous Corrado, loving the intakes.
  10. heli_madken

heli_madken Member

[Mar 17, 2010]
    Fantastic work especially under the circumstances, why do deadlines always make you feel more tired?

On another point just wanted to thank you Jimmy, I have been trying for ages to get rid of wax holograms on my ebony black S4,tried all sorts of products but you mentioned in one of your posts Zaino Z8 as being good for this so got some and brilliant, done the trick completely and a beautiful slick feel to the paint thank you!!
  11. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Mar 17, 2010]
    Excellent work as always mate, well done....
  12. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Mar 17, 2010]
    Yet more simply awesome work. Always a pleasure Jim, keep them coming. :icon_thumright:
  13. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

[Mar 17, 2010]
    nice work there jim. looked like a difficult one considering all the other work going on .