Virgin Media

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

just ordered Virgin media (Cable broadband, tv, phone .etc).

Just wondered if anyone knows what router/modem the cable broadband (10mb) comes with, and also what tv box also?

Cheers

Rich

You should get a Motorola Cable Modem of some sort Rich, then you will need to invest in a router to make it all wireless. Not too sure about the Cable box, think mine is a Pace one, always a good idea to invest in a Eurovox decoder ;)

Yup Motorola modem for me.

the 10Mb is a little optimistic though - you'll get 10Mb if you download something from one of their servers, anything else and you are more likely to get 4-5Mb.

They are supposedly upgrading all the 10Mb links to 20Mb now though...

Cool. Having it all installed next wednesday - Can't wait! Been without net for 2 weeks :S

So did it come with the motorola modem? Presumable its pretty good? What about port forwarding? Is it just a simple connecttion, and then i can use router to forward specific ports for VoIP, RDP .etc

Rich

RichA3Turbo said:
Cool. Having it all installed next wednesday - Can't wait! Been without net for 2 weeks :S

So did it come with the motorola modem? Presumable its pretty good? What about port forwarding? Is it just a simple connecttion, and then i can use router to forward specific ports for VoIP, RDP .etc

Rich

Er, modems have no ability to perform any configuration on packets send through them, they simply modulate and demodulate (hence the name MoDem).

If you need port allocation and port forwarding then you will need some sort of firewall or router. There are plenty to choose from - most of the high street stores will have them starting from about £30 I would think...

Good luck

Thats cool. Familiar with all the hardware for ADSL, just wasn't sure about cable. A colleague said that some cable providers supply you with rather complex connections that you can't change any ports on so wasn't too sure. As long as it allows all traffic, i am happy! My setup is like a small ISP! lol

DSL is simple Rich, once the Modem is connected up it will just work when your PC detects the proxy settings, DSL routers are great also, they just plug and play from my experience, you just need to setup Mac address restrictions on your wireless, so no one can rob your bandwidth.
I am having a little traffic problem with my current router though... it works directly off the modem connection, but with the router in situ, I'm having problems accessing a certain site which is odd?

Yeah am very familiar with routers/firewalls and everyhting along them lines...Its my job :). As long as the modem is simply that, and not doing any funky stuff, then i am happy. My wireless is tighter than a rats ****... Nobody (Unless a serious hacker) is getting on there! ;)

Has your router got configurable DNS addresses, or is this automatic? Get the DNS server addresses from your ISP, and add them to your router. PC side, are you usi9ng DHCP, or manually configured IP?