1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl Wrapped Front Grill

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by johal87, Oct 6, 2009.

1. johal87

johal87 Member

Hi all

i've heard of loads of people getting there front grill wrapped in order to get the black optics look..

what i dont get is, do they wrap the whole grill? or just the outer crome section? as i've got the S3 2006-2008 grill which i would like wrapped in black, but then the centre finish would be crome and grey?

any pictures, advice, and recommendations of shops that do it around birmingham would be great.

Thanks lads
  2. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator

Not heard of anyone doing this to be honest. Only painting it or replacing the grill with the Audi black optics grill. It probably costs not far off the same anyway!
  3. navnayyar

navnayyar Member

I've seen this mainly done on company promo cars, but some people have done a chrome effect to all round car. Do like it much but its peels off without damaging paintwork so guess it ok if you want to test a design or colour change
  4. Boydie

Boydie Boycie

Haven't done it on my S3 but I vinyl wrapped my TDI grill on my A3 - easy and cheap mod to do

You would just wrap the chrome strip on the grill but IMO it would look a bit silly I think with the chrome being black and the actual grill remaining grey!

The good thing about vinyl is though, if you do not like it, you can easily take it off.

You can buy the black surround separately from Audi for around £50+ I think
  5. EvolutionV

EvolutionV Member

Hi mate, where did you buy the vinyl from? i can't find any big enough for a grill:keule:
  6. Boydie

Boydie Boycie

Just from a sign makers - you can buy them in as big a sheet as you want
  7. deol

deol New Member

my mate did his a few weeks back, same spec as johals...looks ok, make sure you get some good quality vinyl, as the cheaper stuff is not very durable.

like boydie said u can buy the outer bit (black optics) from audi for around 50 quid, read some guy on here got it from stoke audi parts, looks a lot better. birmingham audi are a waste of time dont bother!!
  8. dipstic

dipstic Member

Just to confuse everybody my previous sprint blue s3 and my present red one,another option is to buy a optic grill and fit the std S3 chrome surround and vertical strips (I wanted to get rid of the grey from my grill but keep the chrome to match the foglight surrounds)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like it :hubbahubba:
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  9. VWAddict

VWAddict Member

WIN!

I love this look. -Don't like the loss of the chrome trim, but DO love the black.

On a black or lave-grey car, de-badged black optics with black wheels (so-called 'murdered-out') is a horrible look to my eyes... -it always looks like a cheap body shop couldn't be bothered masking-off, and just shot the car carelessly. Black optics on a dark car is just one step towards this unappealing look... -to me, anyway.

Keith
  10. johal87

johal87 Member

I've decided to just leave the grill silver, as the cars black, and i think too much blacks going to look OTT

and i've got to agree birmingham audi are a waste of space, sutton audi were my locals, but now they moved to tamworth! lol