1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vince & aarons new years day antics(1.9tdi centre section conversion 1.8tA3)

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by AARON77, Jan 1, 2012.

  1. AARON77
    Offline

    AARON77 Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1,322
    Likes Received:
    25
    [Jan 1, 2012]
    This is all part on vinces weight saving mission!
    This mod will eliminate the centre box and sort out the broken exhaust hanger issue

    These are the parts needed
    Centre section from a 1.9tdi £20 from gsf
    Two exhaust clamps 2 1/4 " £4 halfords
    Exhaust assembly putty £3.99 halfords


    [​IMG]


    This Is the part we will be replacing

    [​IMG]

    1st thing is a cup of tea from a grubby Mugg
    Then we took of the exhaust hanger bracket

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Then removed the 4 hanger bolts an took of the broken hanger

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Then cracked off the 2 exhaust clamps, and removed the joining sleeve. I'm guessing originally the sleeve wouldnt be there! It would have been all one section from the factory? We then supported the cat and centre section before we decide where to cut the section between the back box and centre section!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Time for a quick cuppa T
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
    #1
  2. Ads

    Ads

    [Sep 17, 2014]

  3. AARON77
    Offline

    AARON77 Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1,322
    Likes Received:
    25
    [Jan 1, 2012]
    We then offered the new section up just to double check it we was happy with the cut we had just made!
    That was when we noticed our 1st and only issue!
    When the replacement centre box was previously fitted they cut the pipe to close to the cat so the new section didnt line up with the hangers,so we fabricated 2 small steel plates and bolted them to the hanger bracket so that the bushes were supported. We toshed em up in some classic ford diamond White spray paint to stop them rusting

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We assembled the exhaust and used plenty of putty on the joints to make a good airtight join. We used the old sleeve to connect the back box to the centre section as they were the same size!

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    After jacking the exhaust in to place we slid the rubber hangers on and bolted up the bracket and the fabricated plates

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    We then nipped all the clamps up run the car up for a while so the putty would harden

    The car sounds a little bit different and vince has shed a little bit more weight and he no longer has a rattling exhaust hanger
    He can also make it over speed bumps without scraping the centre box

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    #2

Share This Page