Viewing an A4 - tips?

toastyhamster

Reaction score
Going to look at this on Friday (A4 S-Line Avant quattro), not had an Audi before, has anybody got any tips for what I should look out for? I've driven the manual already and liked the car but setting off in first seemed a bit odd, plus I'm getting old, so going to try the Tip.

Used Audi A4 Avant 3.0 TDI (240 PS) quattro S-Line Avant at Sheffield Audi

Sales have already sent me some temporary iphone pics which I like the look of, the 20 spokes don't seem that common and I like the look of them. Slightly surprised it's badgeless on the rear?

Slightly out of budget but there's always wiggle room :)

Thx
Mike

Have 1 very similar, colour, spec, engine etc. Only big thing I think is missing from the advert list is ADS (Audi Drive Select), I was pleasantly surprised as thought was just a gimmick before I used it, just my opinion but worth waiting around for one with ADS if this don't have it.
Also don't know what you've read on the MPG numbers, again personal experience we don't get much more than mid 30's mixed, maybe pushing 40 on a good steady run. The 3.0 is stonking though, so don't let that put u off too much, coupled with quattro & Tiptronic = perfect match!

Oh forgot to mention, mine badgless on rear too. Like discreet/sleeper look, only exhaust gives it away:)

Yeh the transmission I'm not sure on, reading the Audi brochure it suggests that the Tip is on the quattro and everything else gets the S-Tronic, but looking at the tech specs in the back the Tip is only available on the petrol quattros and the diesels get the S-Tronic. I've not driven either so am being open minded about it - petrol not an option for me, I like diesels, love the extra tank range and the torque. I'll maybe use ADS as a negotiating tool if it doesn't have it, these things seem rare enough, could be waiting a long time for one with this spec plus ADS.

I still might hate the auto....

Thx for the replies, I've added some pics to flickr: Flickr: Toastyhamster's Photostream

Mike

Looks a real nice motor mate. Looking at the pics I'd be pretty confident it's an S-Tronic.

I think it's a very well specc'd car for the money, if you like it I think you'll need to be pretty quick.

Great lookin mota - Do it! I was looking for a used 3.0 avant auto for ages!
In the end I ordered a new one (which I'm still waiting for!)
It's seems to be well spec'd and personally I wouldn't be fussed
about not having drive select (lots of people on here don't seem to bother to spec it)
used models like this are rare as rocking horse crap!
Price seems good but I'd always start with a silly offer...if you don't ask...

It's always worth pricing the motor up at new spec to give you an idea of how much of a saving you're making.

Heh, yeh I did that yesterday using the configurator thing on the Audi site. Glad I didn't take the depreciation hit on it, comes out to about 45-46k - can't select the 20 spokes using the tool either as it rejects them with some of the other options.

Stu - already put a refundable deposit on it to take it off sale :-D Not told the wife yet though :-o

Hmm well that was interesting. Liked the car, loved the gearbox but the sales people were hard going. Couple of bodywork issues to sort out and I'm being rung back over a possible finance offer (long story - have cash but the two services makes it more attractive to use the finance option if they can honour their APR promise which turns out to be PCP only and shock horror even if I go PCP I get a higher rate). Managed to do a deal on the price but it was real hard work bargaining, first time I've ever used the "right I'm off, refund my deposit please". Bit depressing.

Think the car will make up for it though! Pick it up end of next week.

I know the feeling well - It is depressing, some dealers are hard work and it takes the
shine off the car. As long as the numbers stack-up and you like the car then that’s all that matters.
I think your car is a great spec and if you’ve found some wiggle space on the price then
all the better.

Sometimes we all have to pull the ‘right Im off’ line out the bag – I don’t like it but
I’ve just been on the phone to Audi UK telling them if they don’t confirm my build
next week I’ll walk away!

Still, bet you can’t wait till next weekend – enjoy!

Great news.

I think as you and the rest of us realise, finding a decent used one with a good level of options is very difficult. The dealers aren't stupid and they know that, so will play hardball with you. It becomes a case of how bad you want it and how bad they want to sell it - you'll hopefully meet somewhere in the middle.

If you take finance you can still cancel at any time, even if it i a PCP (Solutions).

Well, picked it up this morning, sort of a mixed bag.
There were a couple of dents high on the A pillar and some scratches on the bonnet - all to be fixed. Yeah, not quite. Only about 75% of the scratch had been polished out - I suspect it may be too deep for polish, and the bodyshops half ***** attempt at removing the dents was pretty embarrassing - looked like they'd just got behind it with something and tried to push it out. Crap. Anyway to be fair to the sales guy he agreed it wasn't good enough and they're arranging a date when they'll pick it up.
At the same time they're going to look into the sat nav "turn left" issue that's well documented on a few Audi forums - just needs the latest software update hopefully.

So - Sheffield Audi - sort your bodyshop out, they're rubbish. Didn't do a great job of valeting it either.

On the plus side the car rocks! Still working out what all the gadgets do and the various quirks of things, suspect I need to run the voice train thing as I got my phone paired easily enough but none of the voice commands work. I was going to have a good go at it all today but with about 2 hours notice to get into London for a meeting that meant the day was a bust for car stuff. Did notice that B&O sounds awesome!

Glad you like it.....I was having thoughts about it too cos theyre like rocking horse ****, but hey.Need some pics when its done, but you let them valet it????

It was done before I viewed it, they washed it again before handover but only did half the job on the inside. I do too many miles and have too little time to worry about detailing, at best it'll get waxed once a year but with a fairly regular wash, having two kids under 3 means the inside will get grubby pretty quickly. I'll get some pics up next week hopefully, away for the weekend.

Toasty

Sorry to hear bout the problems you’ve had, and on first Audi venture!
some dealers really let themselves down – they should have inspected the car prior to it even been offered for handover to you.
If they don’t rectify the issues to your approval perhaps you could remind them of Audi’s
Approved Guarantee –in which they state ‘We prepare all our vehicles to the highest possible standard’

Yeh I know. Salesman emailed me back yesterday so acknowledge the satnav issue and confirm that the workshop manager was aware of the work required. Course, a few more miles in it this weekend and I realise I can't find the AMI cables which the sameman said would be included with the car. Either they're buried in a storage compartment somewhere that I've not yet found or they're missing. Just another thing....