1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vibration under braking

Grant Apr 3, 2006

1. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi RS3

Under hard braking I'm getting a lot of vibration.

Could that be a sign of needing new brake pads and/or disks?

The pads still look like they have a bit of life left in them (maybe a few thousand miles).

2. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

I assume you've checked your wheels are torqued up correctly. Balanced etc.

Also your disks could be warped.

AL

3. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi RS3

[ QUOTE ]
    I assume you've checked your wheels are torqued up correctly. Balanced etc.

Also your disks could be warped.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]
    The torque of the wheel bolts was the first thing I checked - they all seem fine.

I have Brembo brakes... are they warpable with spirited A and B road driving (no track days).

4. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

I thought you would have checked that, but had to ask, sorry.

Brembo brakes, dunno. If its the GT Junior kit, they can warp...but that was a guy who did a lot of track days...SITAS3 (Simon Taylor)...he's still around sometimes.

AL

5. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

Jojo warped his Brembo discs too, IIRC.

If they are warped you should feel the vibration through the steering wheel as the steering will be pulled with the warped disc as you apply brake pressure.

6. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

[ QUOTE ]
    Jojo warped his Brembo discs too, IIRC.

If they are warped you should feel the vibration through the steering wheel as the steering will be pulled with the warped disc as you apply brake pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I warped a pair of Brembo disks, S3's have **** brake cooling, and they weigh a lot, so the brakes get pretty hot with track work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[ QUOTE ]

Yup, I warped a pair of Brembo disks, S3's have **** brake cooling, and they weigh a lot, so the brakes get pretty hot with track work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

All you have to do is bin those silly brake shield things that are on the inside. I binned mine within a week of getting the car!

With them gone, you get better cooling...there's nothing wrong with the S3 's cooling once you bin them.

I never ever got my brakes - standard or Brembos - too hot...

Bin the shields!!

8. madvr6

madvr6 New Member

Yep deffinayely sounds like warped discs. Have the S3 setup on my Golf and had exactly the same symptoms. changed discs and all is fine. I binned the shields too and deffinately get better brake cooling. and less brake fade.