1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vibration at high speed ....thought's anyone

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by 10blazin, Jan 11, 2010.

1. 10blazin

10blazin HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

[Jan 11, 2010]
    Hi guys Ive had a vibration in my car at 70 plus mph coming more from the front , Under warranty Audi replaced the prop shaft . dunno why they said there was a fault with it ?

Also Audi said the CV joint on the left was knackered so Ive had it repaired , and Audi said it isn't the wheel bearing's so I'm kinda puzzled , Me and a friend took it out tonight on the motorway and the vibration starts at 70 mph and just stays vibrating as i get faster , we've ruled out warped discs as steering wheel is fine under braking , wheels have been balanced CV joint repaired also when i take it out of gear it still vibrates its not as bad when accelerating but gets slightly worse when cruising , I'm baffled the only thing i can think of is a slightly bent drive shaft would this cause it and is this covered under warranty ??

Also the work was carried out under warrenttee but since they failed to fix the vibration and my car is now out of warrentee should they by right still fix the car under warrenttee ?? Hope you can help guy's thanks's
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 11, 2010]
    I had the same issue, was bad when cruising at 50mph+ when accelerating the vibration increased with the revs. I booked mine into Audi and they replaced the wheel bearing. Problem solved :) Have you checked your wheels are balanced ok??

Cheers Davie
  4. 10blazin

[Jan 11, 2010]
    Yeah ive had the wheels balanced and checked and audi said the first things they checked was the bearing's

Im just gutted i had a couple coming to see the car this week and thought the cv joint would sort it , The car drive's fine everything is spot on apart from this effing vibration .

Dave Was it driving round corners the noise got worse or just over 50 going straight as i seem to get it , Also was it repaired under warrennty or not if not how much if you dont mind me asking
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  5. Binnsy

Binnsy New Member

[Jan 11, 2010]
    Ive got exactly the same problem on my s3 its going into audi tomorrow .. so ill let u know .. it gets to 70 then starts goin brrr .... brrr .... brrr faster u go quicker it gets n obviously the slower u go it slows down. im thinking wheel bearing or drive shaft ?!
  6. 10blazin

[Jan 11, 2010]
    great let us know mate thanks , Doesnt mean its the same though but we will see , Mines more of a vibration you can feel it under your feet ...

Im taking out an audi engineer tommorrow for a spin to see if he can spot what it is . I just hope its not to expensive im hoping it will be done under warrentty as it was in audi under warrentety for this problem but they hav'nt fixed it , So im hoping for a goodwill gesture as by right's it should of been fixed under warrentty
  7. Binnsy

Binnsy New Member

[Jan 12, 2010]
    righty i took an audi lad out this morn ... n he said wheel bearing on passenger side .. picked car up tonight had wheel bearing replaced and is sweet as now !!
  8. david_phillips95

david_phillips95 Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 12, 2010]
    Was repaired under warranty and yes the vibration would increase when cornering.

Davie
  9. 10blazin

[Jan 12, 2010]
    Well i took an audi guy today he was trying to say it's a different problem and repairing the prop shaft sorted the original vibration which he is blatently lying , I dont know what to do now im trying another set of wheel's on the car tommorrow do definatly make sure its not the wheel..

If it is drive shaft then i think its gona be an expensive job if its wheel bearing's il have to see , But if the to**ers would of picked this up under warrentty it wouldnt be costing me nothing im kinda peed off , good result though lads nice one i just hope mine is a wheel bearing to
  10. waring192

waring192 Member

[Nov 16, 2010]
    Mines going into Audi on Friday for this problem. Noise is coming from front drivers side and vibrates from 50mph+
  11. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets VCDS Map User

[Nov 16, 2010]
    could be a dodgy tyre, balancing or a bearing
  12. waring192

waring192 Member

[Nov 16, 2010]
    Tracking seems fine though, is it "ok" to drive till Friday?
  13. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets VCDS Map User

[Nov 16, 2010]
    should be could be something as simple as a balance weight come off, look for evidence of that, if its that then its find but i need not tell you to take it canny, like you should be doing anyway roads are ***** just now!

it would be easier to diagnose if i could drive the car obv, check all your pressure and tyres for bulges
  14. rickyquicky

rickyquicky Member

[Nov 17, 2010]
    Can you feel the shaking through the seat or through the steering wheel?

I had a similar problem, was an inner CV joint. Faster I went/harder I accelerated the worse it was, might be worth a look...