1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very STIFF - Gearchange that is

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by myrichdad, Sep 8, 2005.

1. myrichdad

myrichdad Member

[Sep 8, 2005]
    Hello again,

Had a look on the search but I can't find a thread even though it must be covered I am sure....

Gearchange has become very notchy and I missed a change th eother day, however much more noticeable is how difficult it has become to select first and reverse while the car is stationary.

Last night I resorted to pulling away in second and then did a rolling change back to first at the roundabut (10 yards away). Reverse is equally difficult.

Is that the synchromesh or other fault? Help, I just spenty £763 on it's service. no more for a little while yet please!!!!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. The Slug

The Slug Active Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 8, 2005]
    How much! , christ what u had done to it? could be the syncro or gear linkage. Hope you get it sorted soon mate
  4. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

[Sep 8, 2005]
    sounds like the clutch, try pumping the clutch pedal 2 or 3 times then selecting 1st or reverse if it go's in easy its a clutch fault, the clutch master cylinders are weak on a3's and are a real b@~'#'#h to fit
    good luck
  5. myrichdad

myrichdad Member

[Sep 8, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    How much! , christ what u had done to it? could be the syncro or gear linkage. Hope you get it sorted soon mate

[/ QUOTE ]

Had everything done
    Cambelt
    waterpump
    haldex service
    brake fluid change
    fuel filter
    full service

had a bit of a heart attack but way cheaper than stealer or amd.

See where this goes though eh? To be honest if it cost me a grand with this. the car was still a bargain so I'm ok with it. Kind of budgetted, although as always it could have come at a better time...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif