1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very scared, is my turbo knackered?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by leecs3, Feb 4, 2007.

1. leecs3

leecs3 thinking about stuff

[Feb 4, 2007]
    Car's been driving fine then started it this morning and the Hyperboost DV seemed to be making alot of noise. Every time i put my foot down there no boost at all you hear a loud whirring noise (think its the DV). It did boost for on one prod of the accelerater but only once. Thinking about it, a couple of mornings last week on pullling out of the drive it did something similar, noise then cleared and went as normal. No engine lights are on and theres alot of heat haze coming off the turbo (not on the temp gauge). There no smoke from the exhaust.

Normally i take my car to Jeff Webb (now at Awesome) but its a 140mile round trip and don't want to risk it.

Any idea's? I'm panicing as you can imagine.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. leecs3

[Feb 4, 2007]
    just got someone to prod the acelerater for me, seems to becoming from the left handside of the engine. Could it be the water pump? Now makes the noise moving the car at tickover'ish rpms. Little higher if you just rev it
  4. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

[Feb 4, 2007]
    I dont think you need to worry about it being your turbo. Its not showing the charachteristics of a blown turbo. Could well be your water pump. but again you dontwat to risk driving it too far if it is. has it been changed recently ? at all? mileage?
    i think you can check for circulating water by removing the water cap and see if water is circulating through there. ( be careful though not when its hot!)
    Isnt that dubs place ' cnt remeber the name near you in yorkshire area?
  5. leecs3

[Feb 4, 2007]
    I can hear the aux pump working fine. Spoke to Jeff Webb on the phone and rev'd the engine for him, thinks its the turbo (i suspected it due to the heat coming off it). As he's built the fastest 20V's (484bhp mk2 4x4 + 600bhp mk2 with NOS) in the UK no one knowns these engines better. So the car will be heading off to Awesome GTi Store next week. He did mention its possible to get an upgraded turbo for similar cost of replacing the standard item which i'm sure will be interesting to you lot....
  6. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Feb 4, 2007]
    Doesn't sound like the Turbo Lee, may be pricey but ask one of the tech's at your local stealership...
  7. leecs3

[Feb 4, 2007]
    Its a case of if it is the turbo it would probably cost more for an independant like Audi-Care to fix it due to it taking them twice as long to fit. If i hand it over to Jeff i've nothing to worry about as its not a big job by his standards and sounds like he's got a better turbo in mind. So generally its been a rotten weekend but could have a smile on my face by next weekend, even if my pockets are empty.
  8. claudefrog

claudefrog Member

[Feb 4, 2007]
    is it an intercooler hose off?
  9. leecs3

[Feb 4, 2007]
    thinking that myself after reading another post. Wheres the best vantage points to see?
  10. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Feb 4, 2007]
    To check the IC hoses, you are as well popping the front bumper PU off...
    Not too much of a job if you've not done it...a few screws and push fasterers and you'll have access to all your IC connections bar the easily accessible ones in the engine bay.

I think there are 4 fasteners on the top of the grille,
    2 in each wheelarch (I think there's two)
    3? screws underneath
    Pop the grilles off the foglights, remove the foglights and unplug them...and have a screwdriver on similar handy to pop into the washer fluid pipe to prevent your headlight washer line draining your fluid reservoir when you take the clip off!
  11. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Feb 4, 2007]
    When I blew a hose off, the car wouldn't idle...it was rocking on the engine mounts.
    I unplugged the MAF and it would idle fine...(the ECU was getting confused with where themetered air was going)

If an IC hose it off, you should be able to hear the air hissing...
  12. simch

simch Active Member

[Feb 4, 2007]
    no boost could just be maf! but the whirring is weird, could be a cambelt tensioner collapsed. take the cambelt cover off an check belt slack. belt may have skipped a tooth, putting timing out, but not enough for valves to hit pistons,....??
  13. leecs3

[Feb 4, 2007]
    thanks guy's. The MAF is new, considering the heat coming off the turbo after 4 miles from cold and the car didn't go over 3k rpm pretty sure it the turbo. The car idles perfectly. Very strange way for it to fail. Run ok last night, then nothing on turning the key this morning. No smoke from the exhaust, completely out of the blue. Still, on the bright side it will be interesting to see which uprated direct replacement turbo Jeff has in mind. Expect it will have more top end than the K04 and spool quicker.
  14. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

[Feb 4, 2007]
    Looks like you have made your mind up on a new turbo. An excuse in disguise!