Very Poor Radio Reception When Using Phone Charger...

DanielJames

Reaction score
Hi all,

When using my in car phone charger via the 12v (cig lighter) port I get next to zero radio reception.

The signal will drastically improve if the charger is removed from the socket.

Has anyone experienced this and knows a solution?

Kind regards,
Dan

I don't have that, but I loose my signal when the cars in reverse :think:
Just a thought! Could this be an earth issue? As the reverse lights & aerial amplifier are at the rear & might share an earth connection. When you select reverse you could be taking away the earth from the Amp??

I have the very same issue Dan. Never really got to the bottom of it, and it happens with all chargers that I've tried. If I'm charging the phone I just use spotify streamed through the Bluetooth head unit now, or if there's some I really want to hear on the radio, I use tune-in radio streamed.

That's weird- I never thought of that- I just assumed that some days I had bad reception as I'm on the edge of the station I like's boundaries. I'll try unplugging the charger when it's like it..

Tend to get this with cheap aftermarket chargers due to emf feedback

Are they genuine chargers?

I have the very same issue Dan. Never really got to the bottom of it, and it happens with all chargers that I've tried. If I'm charging the phone I just use spotify streamed through the Bluetooth head unit now, or if there's some I really want to hear on the radio, I use tune-in radio streamed.

What headunit do you have to give you the ability to stream via bluetooth? Aftermarket or Audi?

Tend to get this with cheap aftermarket chargers due to emf feedback

Are they genuine chargers?
Genuine Apple leads into generic charger. It's a 2a 12v charger, I have a 1a one somewhere I'll try to see if I get the same issues.

Well shiver my timbers- you're right! Charger in, no prob. Charger connected to phone- very bad radio signal... disconnect phone, signal back. Moved phone around and signal varied so it's either the charging wire or phone interfering with the radio signal due to EMF? That's unbelievable...