1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very low speed behaviour of DSG

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by A4_2point4, Jan 11, 2005.

1. A4_2point4

A4_2point4 New Member

I am currently considering the DSG option on the A3, but wondered how it copes with very low speeds, such as creeping forward in traffic, or hill starts.

In a conventional auto, the torque converter allows the car to creep forward smoothly from a standstill, just by easing off the brake. And in a manual, I can slip the clutch. But what happens with DSG ? Does it slip its clutches when moving off, or is the low speed behaviour very jerky ?
  2. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

Dont know myself, but i would'nt mind trying it out at the dealers
  3. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

Hi,

I can confirm it slips just like a conventional auto. The only difference being that in some situations, on steep hills it can roll back a little before the clutch bites. Obviously a conventional auto 'locks up' so dosen't suffer this.

It's never caused me a problem, you either come off the brake pedal slowly or use the handbrake if you are close to another car.
  4. Paul_M

Paul_M Member

I just tend to put it into Sport mode if I need a quick takeoff at a roundabout or junction when the traffic is heavy. It feels like it drops the clutch a bit quicker in sport mode and gives you instant power. Drive mode can be a bit slow to pull away sometimes, which is fine normally, but can be a bit scary on busy roundabouts!
  5. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

I also have a DSG box and whilst, with my previous 1.8Ts, I used the clutch to control the car when putting it into the garage I now use just the brake. There is sufficient 'creep' in D to move the car forward at slow speed in the garage. The same applies in R when reversing the car out of the garage.

Similar applies in a traffic jam. Just control the creep with the brake as necessary or use the handbrake if stopping for more than a minute or so. When the traffic moves away just use the accelerator as normal.
  6. A4_2point4

A4_2point4 New Member

Thanks Guys,
    Useful tips.