Venture shield, anyone tried it?

Richy_C

Reaction score
venture shield is a 3M product that covered the front of the car (clear bra) just in case anyone didn't know already.

I get my fair share of chips on the motorways and have just been annoyed by the contrasting primer colours on a number of cars now which is pretty touch in able on a white car but as I'm getting a lovely Sepang I. A little worried so looking for options to protect.

They seem pretty reasonable at about £500 - £700 for full kit but I would welcome any feed back if they have been tried. Not allot about them on the forums from my little search.

These guys seem to be the main in the UK http://www.bodyguarduk.com.

Other part of me says I could get it repaired each year for less than that...

PDA car in Harrogate are a 3M distributor, however I spoke with my Bodyshop who said it would be cheaper to just respray the panels. Had a quote for £800 for a 911 last year and a bonnet and bumper spray was £850 - if you needed it. We sold the car last year with not a stone chip and £800 better off.

After 35k miles, I've got a few stone chips to the front bumper.

My concern with the film would be that it might also chip. And if it does then water would get in behind and start to peel it off.

Touch up paint and a cocktail stick for me.

Thanks will watch the video later on. It's kinda like insurance you don't know you need it until you do or if you do.

I got some horrors of chips on my last two cars though so maybe worth it.

After 35k miles, I've got a few stone chips to the front bumper.

My concern with the film would be that it might also chip. And if it does then water would get in behind and start to peel it off.

Touch up paint and a cocktail stick for me.
No chance of the film breaking, you can hit a wall and it doesn't split.

Can't imaginge touching up Sepang would be easy.

Fair enough, sounds like tough stuff.
Mine is Glacier white, so touch up probably easier than Sepang.

Fair enough, sounds like tough stuff.
Mine is Glacier white, so touch up probably easier than Sepang.
Exactly, I've been touching my last two up just like that as Ibis white is super forgiving. ;-)

I'm tempted to get it just so we can get some feed back on the stuff.

I think I wrote to Venture Shield at least three times, no response at all.............................................

Found a better site chipguard.co.uk. States £499 for full bonnet, bumper, wings and mirrors. Looks good.

I was on the verge of booking my car in to get it done, then I started to think about how many chips and scratches I've had to have repaired over the years and came to the same conclusion as you:

I could get it repaired each year for less than that...

Have tried unsuccessfully for the last 12 months to get ventureshield fitted and have now given up. Long post below on my efforts to get this done:-

First guy I saw managed to do the bonnet and the headlights before he notched that it just would not stick on the bonnet creases (which are fairly deep). So after 8 hours applying, removing and re-applying he gave up. The guy tried another batch but it did the same thing. The headlights were fine and I still have that protection on them. Turns out the 3M templates (which they supply to sellers) were not accurate around the bottom lip too causing issues. Waited a few weeks to get another date from him to book the car in again but he never called! I rang him to ask what the deal was and he said he couldn't be ***** to have another go! He never charged me for the work already done either :think:

Went to another company and the same thing. Templates from 3M were not accurate and they were struggling to get it to stick on the creases. £499 was refunded. They offered instead to fit strips of ventureshield on the edges of the bonnet and the middle bypassing the creases. Seemed a bit pointless to me so didn't take that offer up!

Oh and on another point - you might remember a guy posted on here a year ago about rejecting his S3 on the delivery day due to a blemish in the paint. As he was doing the hand over a ventureshield company started fitting a full wrap which they part installed before he rejected it. I saw that car still for sale at my local dealer and the ventureshield was peeling on the door edges, boot and funnily enough the bonnet edges / creases. It had been fitted 4 weeks before and was still in the showroom untouched. So can't blame weather / washing etc.

Even though I had the £££ it has been a total ball ache to get ventureshield fitted where in the end no one wanted the business! Yet to get a stone chip (touch wood) so just going to leave it for now :(

Reactions: Richy_C
That's Pulp that's really good knowledge.

Can I ask who tried to install it on both occasions? I've got a guy calling me back tomorrow from that Chipguard company so interesting if it was them and if they try and BS it.

That's Pulp that's really good knowledge.

Can I ask who tried to install it on both occasions? I've got a guy calling me back tomorrow from that Chipguard company so interesting if it was them and if they try and BS it.
I forget the companies names so will check my emails and come back to you.

Either way it was a company in Bristol and one near Newbury.

It was last October I stopped trying with this - I suspect 3M have sorted their life out and improved the templates since.

I have a Ventureshield kit fitted to my Suzuki GSX1400 motorcycle, had it on there now at least 3 years and I can honestly say that it works, has completely stopped the chips etc that I might otherwise have got on the front of the tank. Once fitted you hardly know its there.

I also have the full 3M kit on and it seems to work and look very well. I've heard a number of stones bounce off the front over the last few months and from what I can see, I only have a couple of marks just on the film, with no damage to the paint. Had a bird try to play chicken with the front bumper by flying into it and only left a slight beak mark on the film, with bodywork left untouched.

I was lucky to have the film fitted by the previous owner, so haven't had the pain of trying to fit it, but once on it definitely works very well.

The guy in the video is proper annoying lol I just wanted him to shut up!

I also have the full 3M kit on and it seems to work and look very well. I've heard a number of stones bounce off the front over the last few months and from what I can see, I only have a couple of marks just on the film, with no damage to the paint. Had a bird try to play chicken with the front bumper by flying into it and only left a slight beak mark on the film, with bodywork left untouched.

I was lucky to have the film fitted by the previous owner, so haven't had the pain of trying to fit it, but once on it definitely works very well.
Do you know where they got it done or did they do it themselves?

Do you know where they got it done or did they do it themselves?

Sorry can't help you there - the film looks to have been there for some time and seems like a decent job, but couldn't say if it was a pro job as I haven't seen another car with this to compare. It covers all of the front bumper surfaces (except the lights), mirrors, complete bonnet, front 1/4 of front wings, some on front section of the roof, side skirts and a piece below the rear hatch, which protects from scratches if you are taking things in/out of the boot.

I'm very happy with the fact that it's there and it definitely works against all but the largest of stones. Can't comment on the value for money aspect as it came with the car, but the best thing is that you can barely see it (I only notice it when washing the car).

Some pics by a friend with the film on: https://www.flickr.com/photos/avidjames/sets/72157649846314104/

Sorry can't help you there - the film looks to have been there for some time and seems like a decent job, but couldn't say if it was a pro job as I haven't seen another car with this to compare. It covers all of the front bumper surfaces (except the lights), mirrors, complete bonnet, front 1/4 of front wings, some on front section of the roof, side skirts and a piece below the rear hatch, which protects from scratches if you are taking things in/out of the boot.

I'm very happy with the fact that it's there and it definitely works against all but the largest of stones. Can't comment on the value for money aspect as it came with the car, but the best thing is that you can barely see it (I only notice it when washing the car).

Some pics by a friend with the film on: https://www.flickr.com/photos/avidjames/sets/72157649846314104/

Thanks James, car looks lovely chap.

I looked into venture shield but decided against as I didn't like the look of it. I'm insured against stone chips and small scratches so when I need to call on this I will let you know how I get on. It cost me £250 for 3 years.

I had a venture shield kit (front bumper, lights, front 1/3 wings and bonnet, rear arches) applied to my S3 just after I took delivery and I'm very happy with it a year later. My mk6 golf was absolutely destroyed by stone chips by 18 months old - I had it re sprayed by a reputable body shop (owned by a good frined's father) and regretted it instantly. The finish never looked right, respraying complex bumpers (the A3 is a good bit more complex) is a nightmare. After this bad experience I decided I would definitely get film on my next car.

It was applied in Perth by Reflections to immaculately clean paint. On the drive home a petrol pump fell off the hanger when I was refuelling and hit part of the film. The film was badly damaged but the paint was almost unscathed. Good as new after the film was replaced.

Had a couple of slight edge lifts in the first couple of weeks but these were easily sorted by some careful trimming when the damaged film was replaced. One year on - no stone chips, no lifts, no discolouration. Some sight etching where I've not rinsed bird lime off immediately (PPF is very prone to etching ) but it's come up well with a gentle machine polish.

Overall very happy with it. Has a little bit of a negative impact on aesthetics but I'm a detailing obsessive and it doesn't bother me too much. It can certainly be damaged by big impacts but it takes the brunt of the damage away from the paint. I guess it depends on how you feel about respraying in the futue and what the risk of chips is with your driving patterns and location (we get a huge amount of gritting and I drive on fast, dirty B roads to work). Hope that helps. I'll get some photos at the weekend if you want - the car is in the workshop mid detail at the moment.

P.s. The installer did say it was a difficult car to fit to.

Martin

Ah thanks guys some more useful feed back,

I wasn't aware that you could insure against minor road damage like that so that's one option too.

I do allot of motorway miles and had my A5 battered in two years hence this thread so I'm thinking I'd prefer the piece of mind of a dull bonnet finds and bumper cover.

Spookily though I used the venture shield site "find an installer" tool and there's a guy in your town that is licenced so giving him a call today. Picking the car up this afternoon as well.