1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vent mount boost gauge advice?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by macattax, Nov 8, 2007.

1. macattax

macattax Member

[Nov 8, 2007]
    Allright lads.

Was at the breakers yesterday to get a few bits but as most of the B5s they had in were totally gutted engine wise I had no luck in getting what I wanted unfortunately.
    So as not to come home empty handed I got the centre vent unit from one of the cars.
    Now to my question. Has anyone here actually cut up a vent to accomadate a boost gauge and if so could they go over the procedure of how to cut it to size etc and what boost gauges they used?

I dont want to buy one of them awe or apr ones because I cant justify paying that much cash for something that can be made up diy for a lot less cash and a little graft.

Also there will be 2 spare vents after I am finished as long as I dont make a balls of the 1st one lol.
    So would anyone be interested in a vent if I do end up with spares?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. Biglockie

Biglockie Aye you know it makes sense

[Nov 8, 2007]
    I've done it to the three in themiddle installing a boost gauge, an air/fuel ratio and an oil pressure, I'll post pice tonight dude.

made them myself, the other ones were too expensive, cut the vents with a small hacksaw blade after marking them, and glued in a section of waste pipe to fit the gauges in and painted it up, they look good
  4. macattax

macattax Member

[Nov 8, 2007]
    Cool Id be very interested in seeing a pic. Any chance of taking one apart and taking pics of each piece or is that too much like hard work on these cold winter evenings?
  5. Biglockie

[Nov 8, 2007]
    Yeah no problem its realativly easy remove the vents from the body taking not to where they go, remove the side to side vents, slide a section of the pipe in from behind to give you some thing to cut round, if you slot the pipe with a hacksaw blade at the end so it slide through the vent this will keep the bars steady as you cut them. (I'll take a pic of the blades I used they weren't hacksaw blades) cut round the pipe then use some sand paper to clean the egdes, cut about three inches of pipe off the full length and slot it in (this will take alot of fiddle filling of the plastic bit in the vent to get it to fit properly) one its in glue it in place (I used plastic cement it bonds the plastic better) and then paint. The inside of the pipe will need to be reemed out to allow the gauge to slide in. I'll get some pice up tonight fella
  6. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 8, 2007]
    Heres my home brew.

[​IMG]
  7. macattax

macattax Member

[Nov 8, 2007]
    Cheers BL good advice I look forward to seeing pics of the inards m8.
  8. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Nov 8, 2007]
    Been looking at doing this to mine. Let us know how you get on. Got my boost guage just need to fit the bugger.
  9. macattax

macattax Member

[Nov 8, 2007]
    Once I see how BL fitted his ill get to work on mine. Then if you need a spare vent I may be able to help you Oranoco.
  10. Stringster

Stringster Missed gear

[Nov 8, 2007]
    Also been planning to do this. Got a good matching boost gauge just need a vent - so interested if there is one spare!
  11. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Nov 8, 2007]
    Cheers mate but I was just going to cut the vent that's in the car now. The next car will be an S4 prob anyway so I'll just swap the vents over then or if I get the Evo I'll grab one from a scrappies.
  12. macattax

macattax Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Didnt get a chance to take some pics BL ?
    No panic whenever you get around to it m8
  13. Biglockie

[Nov 12, 2007]
    Hectic weekend fella, was at foo fighters in glasgow on friday night then djing in carlisle on saturday night I'll try to get some sorted today dude
  14. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 12, 2007]
    thought you could buy dummy gauge housing to fit in the vernt hole? there is a kit I am sure, must be easier than chopping one up
  15. waveform2

waveform2 * J e d i *

[Nov 12, 2007]
    Im also intesrested in this are the spare vents black by any chance? If so i'd wouldnt mind one if there a spare up for grabs.

Ta

Derek
  16. macattax

macattax Member

[Nov 12, 2007]
    Have you seen the price of them omg! no thanks.
    For only a few euros and a bit of know how id prefer to make my own.
    Also this way at least you get a little bit of air out of the vent still.

Derek yeah they are black vents. I will post them in classified section as soon as I have my own one made up. Where you from Derek?
  17. waveform2

waveform2 * J e d i *

[Nov 13, 2007]
    I'm in Aberdeen and i will take one off you when its available PM when the time comes mate.

Cheers

Derek
  18. subly786

subly786 New Member

[Jan 19, 2008]
    hi all...
    ne pics of cuttin the air vent ..pls...as i wud like to try it...im thinkin of doin 3...
    i get the genral idea but wats puzzlin me is how u get the size right wid out havin to keep on trimmin it down...or sandin it down to fit...
    ur help n advice will be appreciated....