1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle Speed sensor problems.

flatshifter Jan 2, 2010

  1. flatshifter

    flatshifter Member

    40
    1
    8
    Hi Guys,

    I have a 2001 Audi A3 1.8T FWD 8L and the speedo went dead. I got it hooked up on an OBD scan tool(no access to a VAG-Com at the moment) and it says "implausible signal".

    I purchased a new unit from ECS tuning and fitted them myself. I was surprised to find out the speedometer's still not functioning. Error code remains the same.

    Any clues to this problem?

    Cheers.


    Danny.
     
  2. djdougalno1

    djdougalno1 Member

    189
    1
    16
    was it the impulse sensor you changed in the gearbox
     
  3. flatshifter

    flatshifter Member

    40
    1
    8
    Yes, this one.
    [​IMG]
     
  4. jojo

    jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

    28,767
    3,434
    113
    Don't you have the long bit which goes on the end of it like my S3 one?(excuse the poor quality of pic)

    [​IMG]
     
  5. djdougalno1

    djdougalno1 Member

    189
    1
    16
    jojo i think hes got the right one the short stubby one is for 5 speed fwd gearbox and the longer one is for the quattro gearbox 5 and 6 speed and
     
  6. jojo

    jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

    28,767
    3,434
    113
    I see, learn something everyday. :icon_thumright:
     
  7. flatshifter

    flatshifter Member

    40
    1
    8
    Its an 02J 5 speed gearbox, where the 6 speed is an 02M. It'd be great if someone could assist me on this.


    Cheers.
     
  8. mark_sarah

    mark_sarah Limp mode!

    203
    0
    16
    I had similar problem.
    I decided after wasting my money on numerous road speed sensors, and a replacement cluster, it must be a wiring issue.
    I booked a week off work with the intention of removing my loom, and testiing. Cutting a long winded story short, i found a part of the loom that had worn through. When i investigated further 2 wires had worn through and were touching.
    After i cut, re-joined, heat shrinked, and re-fittted the loom, i got to test it to find my speedo was now working, the fuel gauge was no longer irratic, and the sub now works.
    Hope this is a help to somebody, if you want more info please message me.
     

Share This Page