VCDS logging suggestions on what to log.

Sorry mate, I didn't get chance to do it tonight as the missus had other ideas...she's out tomorrow night though so I'll do it then.

I've just checked the readiness settings on mine and they all came back as passed....I think when I saw a failure it may have been that I hadn't run the car up to temp.

Sorry I can't help more, hope your lambda sensor test goes well tonight.

Had to abort the lambda test tonight! S3 Baby came round so I ran some VCDS tests on his post cat sensor and noticed how his voltage was ok where as mine was all over the place. We thought we'd let his car cool down so we changed his drop links befor tackling the sensor. Trying to get the sensor out with an adjustable spanner with only a foot of room under a jacked up car is not the answer! It was in proper tight so I think i'll need a trip to my mechanics to get this out.

I did however change the remaining hoses in my engine bay, charcoal filter hose and the top half of one of the TIP hoses.

After seeing how the voltage should behave on a working car I'm now certain that my problem is either a duff cat or a duf sensor, I just hope its the sensor!

Keep the up the work mate, you'll get to it eventually.

Just recently I think i've got a leak somewhere, so been following your thread. Mine sounds like it's coming from driver side, had a similar sound before Xmas and it was a split hose from the charge pipe to the N75. Everything seems fine around there, did you remove the strut brace to get to the red turbo to charge pipe hose? Also how much is it for a smoke test?

I've definitely got 2 issues at the moment. 1 is the fluttering noise that I've posted about in another thread but it doesn't seem to be causing an actual problem, and 2 is my lack of power, which I now believe to be cat or sensor.

The red hose can be removed without removing the strut brace but it is a hell of a lot easier with it off. I also found it easier to remove the N75 and all the conecting pipes to give a bit more room.

When you put the red hose back on make sure to put the charge pipe end on first as that was where my leak was. The hose wasn't on properly as i'd attached it to the turbo first and hadn't lined it up properly.

As for the smoke test, i'm not sure. The garage I was going to go to said that it wasn't a wait job so I'm guessing it takes a little while to do. I called them up and cancelled it today anyway as i found the leak.

This morning I have been preparing myself for the worse case scenario...... I need a new cat.

What are my options? I dont want to spend £600+ at the moment for a 3" downpipe and sports cat though that would be the sensible route. I could wait it out for the Turborevs downpipe that Welly is sorting out and wait to see if their sports cat passes an MOT and also is a decent price or I just go standard cat. Something like this:

AUDI S3 1.8 99-03 Catalytic Converter Cat on eBay (end time 16-Mar-11 10:23:48 GMT)

Any thoughts people?

I did see that mate but my post cat sensor will throw up a fault if there's no cat there. I was thinking the cat in my above link is good for the price. Have you had any news on the downpipe?

Regards the smoke test, when I had one done at Jabba it took about 10mins max. I watched the bloke do it, a good idea if your struggling to find a boost leak...

I did see that mate but my post cat sensor will throw up a fault if there's no cat there. I was thinking the cat in my above link is good for the price. Have you had any news on the downpipe?

Expecting the final sample in the next week or so.

Ok a trip to Badger 5 confirmed I have no boost leak but I do have a tired old turbo that cant move air as well as it used to. This would explain the low MAF readings but I'm still unsure about the weird post cast lambda sensor readings.

I had my map changed from ChippedUK to Revo and haven't checked the sensor readings since so they might have something to do with the map.

I'll get this checked and report back.

Ok a trip to Badger 5 confirmed I have no boost leak but I do have a tired old turbo that cant move air as well as it used to. This would explain the low MAF readings but I'm still unsure about the weird post cast lambda sensor readings.

I had my map changed from ChippedUK to Revo and haven't checked the sensor readings since so they might have something to do with the map.

I'll get this checked and report back.

Would be interesting to draw a line underneath that if it is the map.

I'll check it this evening and let you know. It's pretty poor if the map is causing the sensor to believe the cat is damaged!

Not beyond the realms of possibility though looking at the state of the fuelling. That was poor in itself...

Right I went out at lunch and did some logging:

Would you Adam and Eve it! The lambda sensor problem has gone. The voltage is now stable with the Revo map on the car.

I also decided to log my ignition timing EGTs and AITs, they were as following:

Highest timing pull at 6500 was 5.3
EGTs on boost topped out at 875
AITs on boost were 41 high with an ambient of 30ish

I'd say the Revo map was definitely money well spent.

To be fair dude, having seen the state of the fuelling on that map, I am in no way at all shocked.

I even said that to you when I was there after the first couple of runs - not an impressive bit of mapping.

Revo was definitely money well spent, you will have a happier engine for it. :thumbsup:

To be fair dude, having seen the state of the fuelling on that map, I am in no way at all shocked.

I even said that to you when I was there after the first couple of runs - not an impressive bit of mapping.

Revo was definitely money well spent, you will have a happier engine for it. :thumbsup:

I just wish i'd gone Revo in the first place 2 years ago then I could have spent the money on a new turbo. My mechanic friend is currently speaking with Turbo Dynamics for me regarding my options. A hybrid is one of those options ;)

I just wish i'd gone Revo in the first place 2 years ago then I could have spent the money on a new turbo. My mechanic friend is currently speaking with Turbo Dynamics for me regarding my options. A hybrid is one of those options ;)

Well worth considering. If needed I have got an approximate costing sheet.

Right I went out at lunch and did some logging:

Would you Adam and Eve it! The lambda sensor problem has gone. The voltage is now stable with the Revo map on the car.

I also decided to log my ignition timing EGTs and AITs, they were as following:

Highest timing pull at 6500 was 5.3
EGTs on boost topped out at 875
AITs on boost were 41 high with an ambient of 30ish

I'd say the Revo map was definitely money well spent.

Great news Westle, more power and less faults is win win in my book :)