VCDS codes. Running too rich

autolatry

Reaction score
Had the car scanned tonight - thanks again Amar06fbr
I have looked on the Ross tech wiki but the codes 17499 and 17573 arnt listed.
It would be appreciated if someone could elaborate.

4 Faults Found:
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
P0102 - 002 - Signal too Low - MIL ON
17499 - Mixture Regulation; Bank 2; Range 1
P1091 - 002 - Rich Limit Exceeded
17573 - Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air; Bank 1; Range 1
P1165 - 002 - System too Rich
17550 - Load Calculation Cross Check
P1142 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the replys. The maf was replaced in November. Il check the wiring is sound today .

Do you run an aftermarket air filter, K&N?

No it's all standard. The new MAF is Bosch. Checked all the wires and connections (visual and yankin at the wires check) an they all seem ok. I changed the spark plug yesterday and the old ones were very black, which coincides withe the fault code that's it's running rich.
The revs bounce around a lot at idle (less now plugs are new) and I cant hold a constant rev between 1500 - 2000 rpm.
I've just been for a drive and as I got home the traction control light has just come back on.
I did notice some black soot like deposits around the butterfly valve in the throttle body but I'm a bit apprehensive about removing it as no doubt il break something.

It also showed this fault code. I assume this is logged as there is 4 other faults logged. Or is it a separate issue?

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-A.lbl
Part No: 1K0 907 379 E
Component: ESP ALLRAD MK60 0103
Coding: 0021128
Shop #: WSC 06435 000 00000
VCID: 346C6BBE578A73B8F54

1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory

IIRC the MAF fault can cause other modules to read faulty and throw codes. But if the ABS fault was the initial problem it wouldnt throw up an MAF fault.

Can you go to a local motor parts place and fit an MAF and check the results after DTC are deleted? If it doesnt work you could take it back for a credit note if there a good bunch :D

I think what I will do next is replace all the vacuum hoses and see if that makes a difference.
I have noticed some condensation / cream on the oil filler cap.

Clean of the mustard & see if it returns quickly & with volume, this would possibly indicate coolant/oil mix which sint neccessarily good, but may just be condensation.

No it's all standard. The new MAF is Bosch. Checked all the wires and connections (visual and yankin at the wires check) an they all seem ok. I changed the spark plug yesterday and the old ones were very black, which coincides withe the fault code that's it's running rich.
The revs bounce around a lot at idle (less now plugs are new) and I cant hold a constant rev between 1500 - 2000 rpm.
I've just been for a drive and as I got home the traction control light has just come back on.
I did notice some black soot like deposits around the butterfly valve in the throttle body but I'm a bit apprehensive about removing it as no doubt il break something.

i think we should scan it again and see why has the traction light come back on and see if any of the 4 faults come back after the dtc were cleared.

Nice one Amar. Il call you this week and pop down when you are free.

The light went off today but I assume the log will still be there?

I checked for the gunk on the oil cap today after a 15 mile run and it's not come back thankfully. Il put that one down to condensation.

Still got erratic idle though. I've got a set of new breather pipes coming so il change them and hope ive just got a vacuum leak.

Oh also, I have an alluminium pipe I'm by engine bay - does anyone else have this or should it be a proper hose?
Photo
imagejpeg

Last edited:
Had the car scanned tonight - thanks again Amar06fbr
I have looked on the Ross tech wiki but the codes 17499 and 17573 arnt listed.
It would be appreciated if someone could elaborate.

4 Faults Found:
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
P0102 - 002 - Signal too Low - MIL ON
17499 - Mixture Regulation; Bank 2; Range 1
P1091 - 002 - Rich Limit Exceeded
17573 - Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air; Bank 1; Range 1
P1165 - 002 - System too Rich
17550 - Load Calculation Cross Check
P1142 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to follow this post with much interest as i seem to have exactly the same issue, even posted my first post on here today regarding it (see link below).

Good luck and hope you find the cause soon

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-3-2-dsg-quattro-sport-stalling-low-revs.html

Neil

Check for an air leak.

As the engine intake system is under vacuum it could be sucking in unmetered air (air which has not been measured by the MAF) - as this air has not passed the MAF the engine will think that the MAF is reading too low even though its getting the correct amount of air to run.

Certain there is an air leak now. The revs started going spastic on the way home. I popped the bonnet when I got home and there is a loud hissing noise. I hope these new hoses turn up soon.

Can any one comment on the alluminium hose in the above post? Should I replace this with a rubber one?

Cheers.

Certain there is an air leak now. The revs started going spastic on the way home. I popped the bonnet when I got home and there is a loud hissing noise. I hope these new hoses turn up soon.

Can any one comment on the alluminium hose in the above post? Should I replace this with a rubber one?

Cheers.

Cheers for PM Steve,

Yeah it is a very similar issue (well the same fault codes) but my problem goes from completely non-existent to totally undriveable as it constantly cuts out. I then leave it an hour to cool and it is faultless again, i'm wondering if mine is a coil pack breaking down as it gets hot.

Can't see the pic mate, If you can post a pic of the aluminium hose i'll pop the bonnet on mine and have a look for ya.

Neil

Just been and popped the bonnet, i don't have a silvery/aluminium pipe running along the back of the engine bay like you have. Strange???

Thanks for that Neil. Il shall swap that pipe then.

I purchased a couple of coils the othe day £24.50 from GSF. It may be worth you buying a couple and swapping them about.
Have you checked the condition of your spark plugs?

No haven't checked plugs yet but i would imagine they are ready for replacement, they've been on the car for two years and done about 16,000 miles so may worth well be worth doing. Thanks for the link, shame they don't sell them in 6's !!

Do you know if VCDS would show a dodgy plug or coil pack as a misfire fault ??

I'm new to VCDS but I'm pretty sure it would show what cylinder was misfiring.
It seems to do everything. I'm going to get a cable in a couple of weeks off NHN.

It will show misfire data usually yes.