vallet key? my key doesnt open th eboot lock?

I

imported_bpascua

Hello,

My week is getting worse and worse. After foolishly buying a 96 A4 without a proper inspection - I now notice that the door key doesnt open the boot. THis leads me to believe either the car has been rear ended and repaired on the cheap - or the only key I have may be the vallet key which I understand inst meant to open the boot. The key just has audi written on it (no tool symbol as the manual suggests)
I dont have the eletconic tag they come with. WIll I be able to get another key through a dealer - a mater key? or do I already have the master and its just a different boot lock?

Any advice is welcome - I think I have made a terrible mistake in buying this car.

Brian

Sorry about the car. I have also bought a car without getting it checked out before and dam, it sucks. From my knowldge, the key that unlocks/locks/starts/glovebox should open the boot. That would be the master key, if they key you have now doesn't open the glove box then you have the vallet key.

What other problems on the car do you have to deal with?

OK I'm lying - there is a faded hammer on my key - so I guess this is the vallet key. I went down to audi and its £60 for the key and £40 to reprogramme.

Cheers

Brian

First off I am an idiot, no a complete idiot. I inspected the car when it was wet and of course it looked great. So when I picked the car up I noticed a galge on the fron bumper, looks like some parking damage. It annoys me and I would like it resprayed, also right in the middle of the bootlid there is a ding from a big stone chip, it catches the light and looks crappy. So I am going to have to get the boot lid resprayed, this and the bumper will cost about £300. Next I will have to pay Audi £100 for a master key and I am hoping this will open the boot which is another bug bare, I cant open the boot, only with the key only through the central locking. If this isnt the case then its had a rear shunt and the extra key has been lost?! I need to check if I can open the glovebox with the key. Next driving to work my sunroof started going mad opening and closing by itself, this is an electrical problems and god only knows how much that will cost. Phew glad I got that off my chest....so I am looking at -

2 x tyres £100
painting £300
electric fault £xxxx
New Key £100

Also can anyone tell me the best way to get a key fob? is it something I can get from audi? I would love remote access to the car without the key.

Cheers

Brian

Brian, relax - they are all niggly problems.

The sunroof fix is easy, simply remove the overhead map light/sunroof control unit and clean the sunroof switch contacts with alcohol.

Get part worn tyres from your local scrapyard - around £10-15 each.

As for the boot issue - is it really that much of a big deal? I've only got the valet key with mine and it's no real problem as long as you remember the car has to be unlocked.

As for painting, 300 sounds a little steep. 200 sounds more like it.

OK - I know I am a bit of an old woman and a perfectionist when it comes to cars. Why buy a 8 year old car I hear you cry!.

Anyway on the upside the car is a dream to drive, it has done 77k and has been serviced by audi since new. I am hoping it will be a good car when the issues are sorted out.

Thanks for the advice - any idea how to remove the overhead map/light unit?

Cheers

Brian

Hi Brian

Good luck with the repairs, although they all sound like secondary things hence would'nt worry too much.

Also, try http://www.vagparts.co.uk/ for remote closure but make sure that your model has the full closure facility. Basically, if you can close your windows and that funky sunroof of yours by turning the door key and holding it in that position.....youll have no problem.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

OK cool, I checked out that kit on the website. How does it overcome the immobiliser? my audi does have the total closure. If it works it might be easier to spend £100 here than on another key from Audi.

Cheers

Brian

I bought that kit for my previous car, it is really good! The immobiliser is olny there to prevent someone from starting your car when they insert the key into the ignition. The immobiliser doesn't read the key in the door lock, therefore the remote locking kit works fine.