vague steering, out of ideas??

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
This a problem that I keep having, think I have cracked it and it then returns.

All front arms replaced with Lemforder items, polybushed the arms, replaced the track rod ends with new S4 items, Tyres are in great shape and not cheap hedge hunters and the alignment has been checked and double checked and over the last couple of days the steering has got more vague with it pulling and bump steering like a pig :-(

Yesterday I was turning into a left handed and got half way through the turn in when it snapped more to the left than my progressive input.

What the Hell is left??

Have you set the bump steer correctly on the track rod ends?

There is a bolt in the top, that sets the height of the rod end in the upright, and adjusting this up and down alters the bump steer characteristics. Only a REALLY good alignment place that properly knows Audi front suspension will know how to set that properly. I've always just used the bolt to pull it up as far as it will go, but clearly this isnt whats supposed to happen.

Alternatively, your into either the inner track rod balljoints, the rack itself, or the subframe bushes?

Subframe bushes? This sounds promising. It only feels dodgy once speed is up to say 40 or so and it does feel sort of like a dud lower arm bush which I know it isn't. I don't recall seeing a Subframe bush listed on any sites, would this be a trip to the stealer.

I'll get under the car this afternoon and have a proper prod about.

If this is correct you've earned a pint.

Last edited:
I baught some alloy ones for the rear subframe, from a user called bambridge over on AudiSRS. Might be worth asking him if he has alloy front ones for the B5, as the dealer wanted about a million quid.

Stephen, have you done the rear axle bushes in that car?

I had the same in the Purple car, spent ages changing bits on the front and them it turned out to be the axle wondering around under the car where ever it wanted to..

Any road so I know it's the car rather than the surfaces. I have a company car now a '07 TDI Passat and that drives and tracks brilliantly on the same roads. :(

Phoned the main stealer on my way home and they quoted £26 +VAT for subframe bushes (each) so think I'm going to give them a punt as I've not changed them after my 65k miles and I have nothing in the history that suggests they were changed and the old girl is now on 143k

I know it sounds silly but often problem with the rear can demonstrate themselves in steering issues as much as front.

when I redid my rear bushes and more importantly the rear subframe bushes the steering sharpened up no end.
Its mid corner stuff as the car's COG revolves around the balance point of whatever corner you are turning.
it seems that the extra pressure on the rear suddenly releases and you end up with what feels like more steering input that you planned.

very funny on empty wet roundabouts, not so much on fast B roads with oncoming traffic.

not helpful but I am afraid until I had done EVERYTHING bush/joint/suspension wise I still had little things niggling at me that werent right.

If I can just figure out where that squeak is coming from!!!

Don't think there is anything left to replace at the back as it's all pretty new. I do have a small amount of play in both rear wheel bearings though so will nip those up at the weekend.

Ordered some subframe mounts from the stealer at £26 a pop +VAT should be with me next week. A job for the long weekend