1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vagcom (what do i need to get started)

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by afcjay, Jun 24, 2009.

1. afcjay

afcjay Member

i think its about time i got vagcom (freebie download)
    can anyone advise me,on how to get started
    i here there are free (part) vagcom downloads,does anyone have links?
    also where is the best place to get the lead as ive heard some cheap leads off ebay etc dont work
    any links,advice,do/donts?
    :thumbsup:

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. S3 HODGE

S3 HODGE Brown passenger seat.

Ask NHM he is a genuine Vagcom dealer :)

4. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

5. afcjay

afcjay Member

is it not possible to download a scaled down version off the net?

6. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member
    Regional Rep

From what i remember the program is free to down load, The ross tec lead had a code in it that allows you to get full use of the thing,
    They do have older versions that will work ( to a point ) with say an ebay special lead but as they are uncoded you will only get to check simple things, most fault codes will come up but logging isnt possible i dont think,
    Ive now got a full working version as it drove me mad with the un coded version.

7. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Get the real deal. It was the 1st thing I bought for my car and its saved me a few hundred quid easy, which is what it costs to buy.

If you ever get rid of your car and dont get another VAG car you'll still be able to make back most of your money by selling the cable on ebay.

8. steviet

steviet Member

Sorry if i sound stupid,but i guess you have to have a laptop to use this?..i would like to get vagcom but dont have a laptop.is there a feck of lead that i could use so i can run if from my pc?..:think:

9. leshkin

leshkin Hold my beer...
    VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S3

You can use a PC with a very long USB cable if you're into masochism. I would recommend getting one of those new web-books for a couple of hundred quid or you can get an OK second-hand laptop from ebay for less than 70 squid.

The original VAGcom cable with the latest version of VagCom software is the way to go, but if you're on a tight budget, get an ebay cable and use one fo the older versions of the software in trial mode (it limits functionality big time thgouh). I found it too limited, so shelled out for a proper cable and can use the latest and greatest VAG-com software, which does not work with cheap ebay cables.

10. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

You could buy yourself a PDA and there's a tool called VAG Check which you can get from here:

http://www.arlab.it/vc/main.html

all you need to do is purchase an ebay cable for the PDA. This is a good option because you can throw the PDA and cable in the glove box so you always have it but its not as good as VAGCOM.

11. 1.8twes

1.8twes New Member

when you have vag.com, laptop, ebay cable etc where in the car is the obd port? I have a 2000 a3 1.8t. (sorry if thats a stupid question):think:

12. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Under the headlight switch half way down theres a purple (well mine is) socket, plug it in there.

13. recomdos

recomdos Member

Beneath the ash tray - look at the back of the enclosure, there is a plastic 'tab' that will pop off, revealing the OBD port. (That's on a 98 TSport)

14. 1.8twes

1.8twes New Member

Thanks thats where I thought it was, but when I look under the ashtray theres just an OBD plug shaped hole but no actual socket, maybe the sockets been pushed behind the panel or maybe its under the headlight switch, i'll have to explore.

Another stupid question do I need to find to the OBD port in order to get the car remapped?