1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vagcom Problems..OBD 2 lead with windows vista...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by rlc1985, Aug 16, 2010.

1. rlc1985

rlc1985 top gear

Vagcom lead has come... Can't even get it working.... its the obd 2 lead and came with CD software, vagcom and vcds-lite.. Im running it on windows vista. The driver automatically installed for the lead and the port has changed to COM1 in device manager is says its working fine connected it to the car, ignition on. Started running a scan then it crashes, and i have to restart the pc.

It comes up with suggestions what the problem could be a few that i know are fine.... k-line?.. and firmware update.
    I've tryed running both vagcom and vcds and they both crash, i've done the test and saved and is noticing my car.

so i haven't got a clue what to do??. :banghead:
  2. ptr

ptr Member

Quite obvious, but have you tried changing the port? COM1 might be conflicting with something else, try COM3/4.
  3. rlc1985

rlc1985 top gear

Good suggestion. I changed it to port 2 both in device manager and on the program then it couldn't find it. I'll reset pc and try again with that.
  4. rlc1985

rlc1985 top gear

No luck.. On COM2 either Put my chassis type in 8L started the scan it loaded then came up with the same error notice.. saying like check ignition, check lead, firmware update.
    The one i don't understand is k-line stuck?.

Don't know if this means anything.. When i run the test it says..

port: ok
    interface : found
    type :serial pass through
    opto/iso: NO
    ross tech design: NO

Says also car is NOT ISO/OBD ll compatible but IF ITS AN AUDI/VW/ SKODA try SELECT and individual controller. Stil crashes if i do that aswell
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  5. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

how much was your lead ?
  6. rlc1985

rlc1985 top gear

£10 off ebay mate, did the trick.
  7. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

I'm also having problems. I can't get the right COM, went in to 'control panel' n looked at the device n its saying COM16. I'm using windows 7 n it installed the driver automatically without using the CD.
  8. rlc1985

rlc1985 top gear

Go to control panel, device manager and click on the port that it comes up with and click advanced and change it to com1, com2, com3 or com4..
    They should say next to them if there in use already, use one of the free one's.

Just to add people,this is an old post of mine and i did get the lead working on windows XP and a friends laptop that was running windows 7 with abit of messing about, had problems with my brothers pc using windows vista though.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010