1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vag-com on 2 laptops

Discussion in 'VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum' started by eddieboy, Aug 14, 2007.

1. eddieboy

eddieboy New Member

hi all

I have 2 laptops one in work and one at home
    i am using the two with vag-com 409.1 (shareware)with a cable bought from ebay (works fine)

my question is .........if i register for the full version will it work on both laptops?

:think:
  2. Longman

Longman vassdignostics.co.uk

Yes, the full version will work on both. I have the full HEX-USB-CAN and have borrowed a laptop to use it on. The License is part of the cable as a dongle.
  3. eddieboy

eddieboy New Member

thanks

but the cable i am using is a 3rd pary one (cheep one from ebay )

thanks
  4. bearthebruce

bearthebruce Ross-Tech, LLC

The older versions of VAG-COM require a license which is matched to the computer on which VAG-COM is installed. The dongle units have license built into the electronics in the interface. You will not be able to use your 409 license on more than one machine. If you need that, you will have to get a full dongle system.
  5. Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue Active Member

I was going to reply on this one as I used to have the same config and Ross-Tech kindly enabled both of my PCs.

However in these times with a whole host of cheap clone cables I can understand why they not longer offer that to users.

I did have a full Serial (non-dongle) Ross-Tech cable though.

The licencing model now works much better, it protects the authors software from illegal copies as well as makes it easy for you to run the software on other Laptop / PCs.

Paul
  6. bearthebruce

:w00t:

I've been with RT for over 3 years now and I was not aware that we ever allowed licenses for the older versions on more than one computer. All I can say Paul is that you were fortunate to receive that privilege.

Policy is: One license - one computer and has been that way from the day I arrived at RT.

Dongles of course have the license built in so the software can be loaded on as many computers as one likes. The dongle unlocks the program.
  7. Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue Active Member

Sorry mate been using a puka licence of Vag-Com for long than you have been there. I believe in those days it was Uwe's wife that handled the activation requests and she allowed my two.

I can fully understand why that changed, the usual story that the minority ruin it for the majority.

Paul
  8. bearthebruce

and I promise you, you were a blessed man to have gotten (2) activations from her! She is the keeper of the keys and protects her hubbie's creation like a mother lioness protecting her cubs.

;)