VAG-COM, No Controller Found!

1210tech

Four Ring Fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.sportscarprotection.com
I have bought a usb vag.com connector from ebay and have installed drivers and installed vag.com 409-1.

the computer is recognising that i have a serial device attached to com3 port but when i plug everything into the car it doesn't find any of the control modules?!?!?!?

what am i doing wrong?

do i need to carry out a search on the Control Module Finder before I can see any of the modules?

when you say 'measuring block' what do you mean by that. there is no item labelled measuring block when i open vag.com.

the computer is recognising that there is a usb serial device but when it is connected to the car and i try to select a control module and connect to 56:Radio it just searches for 10 seconds and then shows message 'No Response From Controller'

Right, rewind a bit.

Plug the cable in to the car, and the laptop (ignition on)

Go to vag com and the set up screen

Test com3, it should say all is ok - if it doesnt, or says modem then its not what you want.

If it says com3 finds a controller then you're ready to go.

If it doesnt, go to device manager-> Usb ports and find your cable.

Then go into properties and select an empty com port(1-4)

Go back to vag com and test the com port that you have now selected for the cable.

All should now be well.

If none of this works, try installing vag com version 3

You may find your cable only works up to this version.

Hope some of that helps

ok, so i tried it with the ignition on, no joy

i tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers for the usb and the serial ports but no joy

i downloaded and installed vag.com3 and reinstalled everything again, guess what, no joy

i am starting to think that the usb interface i have been sold is sh*t but other users have got the same one and had no probs so i think it must be knackered but if the computer and vag.com is recognising its plugged in it should work...shouldn't it????????

thanks for your replies people

hi i had same problem

just to check off everything
you are using 409 and nothing newer as it will not work with cable?

have you downloaded the correct driver for the cable?

When you have went through options has it linked to a com port and you have saved it?

Cheers

yeah, i got a cd with the usb connector that had vag.com version 409 and all the drivers for the hardware

i have checked the driver details for the usb and the com port and they are both ok and i have opened the vag.com and gone into options and configured so it is recognising which com port the usb is plugged into and saved the settings

basically i have double checked everything and uninstalled and then reinstalled everything twice but its still not talking to the car.
i think i am gonna have to fork out for a proper ross-tech cable if i want to be able to customise by vag.com.....what a bummer!

I had the same problem, it turned out that VAG-COM was interrogating the modem on my laptop rather than the controller but reporting it as OK. I solved the problem by disabling the internal modem in device manager which freed up the com port for the interface.
hope this helps

If you go into(with the cable plugged in)

Control panel-> System-> hardware->Device manager

then Universal serial bus controllers

Find the cable, right click

Click properties, advanced

Then in com ports select the drop down box and select either 1, 2, 3, 4

Come out of this box and save or press ok

ignore the pc if it asks you to restart

Then plug the cable in and go to the vag com set up screen and test the om port you've selected(with the ignition on)

Let me know how you get on ill try and help more

rodenal said:
If you go into(with the cable plugged in)

Control panel-> System-> hardware->Device manager

then Universal serial bus controllers

Find the cable, right click

Click properties, advanced

Then in com ports select the drop down box and select either 1, 2, 3, 4

Come out of this box and save or press ok

ignore the pc if it asks you to restart

Then plug the cable in and go to the vag com set up screen and test the om port you've selected(with the ignition on)

Let me know how you get on ill try and help more
thanks bud, but i have already done all that.

vag.com is stating that it is finding the obd usb device and i have saved the settings but when i plug it into the car it searches for about 15 seconds but then flashes a dialog box stating that no controllers could be found.

haven't had a chance to have a mess about with tonight but i am going to dry and disable all other com ports apart from the one that is set for the obd usb tool and try it again tomorrow

Hmm that is odd, are you now using version 3? Mine's wont work at all with anythign later, and there are certain controllers i cant acces. Engine abs etc are all fine tho.

Could very well be a faulty cable, the quality varies on these things, i'd get on to the seller and just tell him what you've tried. He'll more than likely send you another