Vag Com Code 16395

S3 TAM

Pocket now empty
Reaction score
Morning All,

Scanned my car last night and this popped up has anyone seen this before.

Address 01: Engine
Controller: 8N0 906 018 BH
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0001
Coding: 10710
Shop #: WSC 13365

1 Fault Found:
16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
P0011 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Digging around Ross tech I get the explanation:

16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

Possible Symptoms

• Power Loss
Possible Causes

• Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty
  • Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205)
  • Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
Question I have is where is the Fuel Pump relay located?

Also does anyone know how easy it is to change the N205 valve? - I have had a look around and searched but can find very little on the valve?

shall I book her into the garage and get her looked at.

N205 = VVT... assume yours is AMK or BAM?... does the engine sound rattly on idle?... make a bit of a rattling noise on first start?

<tuffty/>

not that i've noticed to be honest matey, i'm always ears for this type of thing. the engine is my music.
I'll go and start her up when im on my break with a mate and get him to start it while i got my head under the bonnet.

Last edited:
Clear the fault and see if it comes back, sounds like cam timing or maybe the n205 plug is loose

I've just been out and scanned the car the code hasn't come back. i will scan everyday for the next week to see if it comes back.

how strange why would it of come up i the first place....

Thanks for all the replys :)

I've just been out and scanned the car the code hasn't come back. i will scan everyday for the next week to see if it comes back.

how strange why would it of come up i the first place....

Thanks for all the replys :)

Is this the first time scanned for a while? I notice you started a thread a while back to do with the gasket under the VVT/tensioner... possibly a legacy code from then?

<tuffty/>

Is this the first time scanned for a while? I notice you started a thread a while back to do with the gasket under the VVT/tensioner... possibly a legacy code from then?

<tuffty/>

No i have scanned it many times since changing the gasket it maybe the first time this year.
I have fitted my Oil Catch Can a couple of weeks ago but i can't see this bring the fault up.

S3 Baby, I was just wondering whether you managed to find out what caused your fault code? I've just had the same fault code appear on my S3, accompanied by a low oil pressure warning on the dash.

This fault code come up because the oil pressure is low in the engine and as the VVT uses oil pressure to adjust itself, it cannot adjust if pressure if low. I had this code for ages and change so many things to get rid of the code, fault turned out to be a faulty VVT unit.

Change your oil pick up pipe first as you got your low pressure light on and deleted the code. If it returns its likely your VVT is faulty.

....fault turned out to be a faulty VVT unit.

That's what I'm afraid of. I had the sump off 10k miles ago to clean the oil pickup pipe. I'm now changing the oil every 5k, so it shouldn't be that.

The Rosstech site suggests checking the N205 valve and mechanical timing, which I guess means the VVT unit.

How much did a new one set you back?

That's what I'm afraid of. I had the sump off 10k miles ago to clean the oil pickup pipe. I'm now changing the oil every 5k, so it shouldn't be that.

The Rosstech site suggests checking the N205 valve and mechanical timing, which I guess means the VVT unit.

How much did a new one set you back?

Its more than likely your pick up as you got the low oil pressure light on. Should clear once you have dropped the sump and cleaned/changed the oil pick up.

I had a new VVT which started playing up when my cambelt went so just put my old original one back in and that got rid of the fault for me. There is 2 sides to this fault code 16395 and 16366, over advanced and over retarded and I was getting them both at different times so was to do with the VVT adjusting intermittently. Can get them from ebay for £140 I think I paid but I wouldnt worry about your VVT just yet. Pick up first.

Had the timing belt done recently??

I had the exact same fault when my timing was out by 1 tooth

Yeah, that's a bitch when that happens :/.

My mates was like it for ages.... which I built, and then couldn't ***** to sort... Did eventually and is OK now, but he must have driven it for 10K like it lol.

My car is going into my mates workshop at the end of the week. We'll whip the sump off to double check the oil pickup and then connect up an oil pressure test gauge to see what readings we get.

Sorry for the thread hijack BTW and thanks for the advice.

N205 = VVT... assume yours is AMK or BAM?... does the engine sound rattly on idle?... make a bit of a rattling noise on first start?

<tuffty/>

This code came into my S3 today.. My car does rattle on every cold startup, BAM engine.. What does this mean?

This code came into my S3 today.. My car does rattle on every cold startup, BAM engine.. What does this mean?

Means the VVT tensioner is worn and needs replacing... I would advise using an OEM part only as the cheap copies are next to useless...

<tuffty/>

I believe this is the tensioner.. It is normal to be like this?

IMG 5204