Vag Code Not Communicating With Airbag Controller

J.R.

"Started From The Bottom"
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
* I've had My Audi A3 on a 53 plate since June last Year, and I've had this Air bag light on ever since. My car is a Cat D and it had a crash on the Left side of my car before I bought it. I did a Vag code check up with my Laptop but every time it gets to Airbags it can't communicate with the Air bag controller for some reason. Also it looks like there is a slight crease on the top left side where the roof air bag goes....I don't know whether they fix my car without replacing the roof air bag or if ones still there or not. But the Vag com program isn’t telling me more information. Can anyone in light on this?:ermm:

Vagcom will only be able to "talk" to the airbag control unit. The controller is centrally mounted behind the dash, you'll have to remove the centre comsole/climate/headunit to get clear access to it. You'll know when you've found it as it will be identified by part number 8P0 959 655. You may be able to drop the glovebox and have a look if you can see anything missing. So if vagcom can't talk to the airbag controller I would check that the unit is actually fitted to the car. If there is a fault with the CAN wires or the unit isn't powered. Looks like you'll have a busy weekend!

what version of vagcom do you have?

i think thats too old to support the canbus on the 8P model, you will need to buy the proper lead not the cheap copies. I'm fairly sure once an airbag has been fired you need to replace the control module (you did on the 8L model)

If its got crash data in the controller then I'm hazarding a guess as Khufu says on the older 8L & I'm sure its same on 8P that it needs either replacing or the crash data needs wiping & yes buy authentic one or get someone local to you with proper lead to scan for you.

Should I take it to a Audi Dealer? Does any one know what kind of price they will charge?

As I said mate find someone on the forum whose near you who for beer tokens would do a proper full scan for you cause audi in town will charge you 30 mins to 1 hr & thats usually £50-£100 or more in town anyway.

There's a thread on here with locals with full VCDS so can CAN scan your car for you then can maybe ascertain what the issues are.

I'm in south east & would happily scan for you if you drove down, but I know there's other closer.

As I said mate find someone on the forum whose near you who for beer tokens would do a proper full scan for you cause audi in town will charge you 30 mins to 1 hr & thats usually £50-£100 or more in town anyway.

There's a thread on here with locals with full VCDS so can CAN scan your car for you then can maybe ascertain what the issues are.

I'm in south east & would happily scan for you if you drove down, but I know there's other closer.

Are you talking about the VAG.COM forum ? or a different one?

Thanks your really Helpfull .......