1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V6 Thermostat help car is in bits!!!

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Ian2012, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Ian2012

Ian2012 Active Member

I have decided to tackle this myself as i have now lost my job and can't afford to pay to get it done (thanks to forum member for offer of doing this you know who are!)

Anyway the car is in bits i can move the housing but can't get the damn housing out i have tried walking the cameltt approx 5mm off the cam sprocket and zip tieing for security but still doesn't give enough clearance, help please

I am not sure how to untension the cambelt either that seems to be the only way of gettting the housing out

Ta

Ian
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

I think the belt has to come quite far off the pulleys to get it out, a bit dodgy really.

Might be worth removing the belt, but if you do that you WILL need the proper tool to time it all back up!

I've only ever done it with the belt off.
  3. Ian2012

Ian2012 Active Member

ok so how do i slacken the cambelt?? i have marked everything up with paint soif something moves i will know
  4. Ian2012

Ian2012 Active Member

After a bit more of struggle finally managed to get the stat out, levered the housing with a big screwdriver and pulled it out with some long nosed pliers, odd thing is after all the pulling and pushing the cambelt was noticeably slacker, good job i had marked the tensioner roller, and was able to re tension it slightly back where it was before. I also ended up moving the pas pump out of the way for a bit of extra clearance.

Took an age to bleed the air out and get hot thankfully after nearly a day of faffing around, it now sits at 90 degs. I simply don't understand why the previous owner didn't change it when he had the belt done,it was obvious that the belt, tensioner, roller and water pump where all pretty new so even though i don't have a bill to say cambelt done eyeson says it has.

Appreciate the help earlier as well, now all i need to do is sort out the busted headlight fixing and the bumper alignment, ding ding round 2 tomorrow