1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V6 TDi Camshaft Lobe Question

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by AlexGSi2000, Aug 9, 2012.

1. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Aug 9, 2012]
    I was looking at one of the new cams last-night which will be going in my engine soon.
    The lobe layout intrigued me and puzzled me abit - so was hoping someone could explain.

Basically, I was looking at the lobes on the exaust cam for cylinder 1-3.
    The engine has 2x intake valves and 2x exhaust valves for each cylinder - so why are the lobes for the exhaust valves on the same cylinder in different positions?
    I thought the two exhaust valves would open together, from looking at the cam, it looks like one opens slightly after the other.
    Is this just the way diesel engines work?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 22, 2014]

3. murran

murran Active Member

[Aug 10, 2012]
    lol. the clue is looking at the valve positions in the head. cant really explain it, one exhaust and one inlet is nearer the cam than the other exhaust and inlet. requiring different cam lobe positions to open them together.
    a picture would explain it 1000 times better than words..... you'll see when we take it apart.