V Power - Tesco 99. My 2 cents.

What fuel are you using by choice?

• Total voters
Ive always used Tesco 99. There is a Shell station a couple of miles from the house, I'll start using Vpower (I fill up once a week) and report back. I dont have VCDS, so I can only provide info on feel and MPG.

I know people say it makes no difference in power on smaller engined cars, but on my fiesta, after 2 or so tanks, i felt such a change! Been using it for almost 3 years now and its always been on the top of the petrol list. When VP was getting too expensive i resulted to normal 95ron and my car was crap. misfired too! But as soon as i was back on VP it was fine again?! Tesco was always second. Never went for BP or texaco. And for some reason texaco is always more expensive, and they compensate by giving you a cheap socket set after 20quid worth of fuel?!!!

I used a mix of fuels until I had the S3 mapped. When it was mapped and the guys did a run in the car, the first question that was asked is if the fuel in the car was something other than VP. Can't remember the details (I think the timing or EGTs were way off), but we filled up the second half of tank with VP and after another drive and a logging session things started to look much better. Since then I have used VP exclusively regardless of it's cost.

I agree and am quite religous about the Shell Fuel. If I can't find any, I will fill up with enough to get me to the nearest one.

Said it like i thought it tbh. Put some nasty dirty 95 RON -(Atkinston lol) from Asda to get to Shell. Lovely tank of 98 RON (jeremy) please :) lol

Sad I know however I got a free £13 fuel voucher thingy from Shell in the post the other day so I spunked the lot of spirited drives.

Lovely :)

I, like Welly used to, religiously used Tesco 99 (Momentum). Mainly due to the fact that I shop at Tesco and I enjoy the fact I can add points onto my Tesco card which is always nice when you get you £30-£40 worth of vouchers!! As I have always used this in the S3 I can't comment on any performance differences but in my MK1 Golf Gti when I filled this up with Tesco 99 the difference was incredible!!

I am going to try each with Shell V-Max in both, only filling up the S3 once a month results could be some time!

This is what I am interested to hear.

G, I've read all of these articles as well, and seen the dyno plots that have been created, and they are very interesting I agree. But what I wanted was people's real world experiences to see if they tally with my own, as I really have noticed the difference.

I'm concerned that the latest batch of T99 is not as good as previous batches.

I'm adding a poll to see what people use through choice.

Great thread this!

Its stupid that BP 102 is/was only available in England. Going to do my own studies! V power next tank to see what differences it makes!

G

Great thread this!

Agreed, It will be even better if everyone does try the opposing fuel to what they normally use and then post results.

It's nice to hear people's experiences, rather than sales propaganda, or just dyno figures regarding the fuels.

IMO, how they perform in the real world is what counts.

I've put BP Ultimate in the S4 since I bought it because I've always filled up near home and there's a BP garage just round the corner.

I'm doing a decent length journey in it this weekend though, the tank's nearly empty and I've found a V-Power garage en route so I'll fill up with that and see if there's any difference in MPG/performance. :)

All the supermarkets weaken down there petrol with silcone becuase silcone is cheaper. Same with Tesco 99 stuff.

I filled up my car and bike once at morrison. Both my bike and car didnt run right at all. Went to garage and they said it was because there was to much silcone mixed with the fuel. Never had an problem on shell fuels!!

Most remapping places rate V-power more than supermarket crap.

i always use vpower i travel 24 miles just to fill up, however i did use tesco 99 on 2 concecutive tanks and to tbh on initial fill up feels better but after a few miles there dosent seem to much between v-power and tesco99. is that momentom stuff still 99ron???? i have steered well clear since its been changed?

also used bp ultimate before as i was in desprate need and thought it would be best comprimise how wroung its terrible stuff that id rather use esso 97

did a tank of tesco99, from full to beep was 349miles, remapped arz

not bad going

i prefer tesco 99 find it far more responsive than the rest but im gonna have try wiv da v power cos i to have noticed a lul in power and was thinking it must be down to the hott weather????

i had my car remapped on tesco 99 which i use and 2 day ago i thought i would try out the normal fuel and what a massive mistake the car is running bad well down on power and all my friends can notice this when i put my foot down

is that momentom stuff still 99ron???? i have steered well clear since its been changed?

Now this is what I am beginning to wonder....

I have used T99 many times and not noticed a huge difference like I did the other day. I wonder if they have used the 'rebranding' to drop the octane points down. Mainly because the 'Momentum' I put in it didn't give me that much.

I might even go as far as phoning Tesco HQ tomorrow to find out.

dunno what to take from that article as they are local to myself. from past experience they overly bum tesco fuel and think they are being given a bit of money to big it up. They keep going on about it on their website and i went with my mate we he got his remap and they kept going on about how much better it would have been on tesco stuff rather than vpower..

V-power always, Tesco comes second if i'm buts its very rare.

going to pick up a shell drivers card now infact :yum:

Does this apply to diesels aswell?

I only just picked up my A3 on Tuesday, and I filled up (didnt look at which pump i used, and i picked up the VP instead of the regular.. i did think £60+ for ~45L was a tad expensive!) with the VP instead of the regular.

I'll fill up with regular diesel next time and see whats what! :)

Does this apply to diesels aswell?

I only just picked up my A3 on Tuesday, and I filled up (didnt look at which pump i used, and i picked up the VP instead of the regular.. i did think £60+ for ~45L was a tad expensive!) with the VP instead of the regular.

I'll fill up with regular diesel next time and see whats what! :)

Yup, you need a few tanks though, V-Power derv is a but more responsive, and I averaged an extra 3-4mpg with the stuff in my Passat Estate.

filled up with the v power today ?????? not sure its a fair test bearing in mind the hot temps????

havent read this thread just first couple posts.

Iv always found tescos 99 to be completely crap, never really notice performance (aka speed acceleration) and its hard to notice a different if the change is gradule, and im not such a bof to test it. Although I always notices when travelling long journey in the s3 and other petrol cars that the fuel wouldnt get me as far as bp 97 stuff, think it was about 5-10% less on a long run which is quite alot, and im pretty displined on long journeys with regards to speed.

Although due to political matters I no longer buy BP fuel, due to their mental profits mainly. I now fill my s3 with esso 97 or 95, and the van with their diesel. Pretty happy with the performance/mpg. Not sure on esso's bussiness ethics but they seem fairer than bp, but if somebody give me an excuse I will stop buying their fuel too lol! We dont have any shells round where I live but I dont think I would bother filling there

Filled up with V-Power on Saturday morning and then did about 200 miles over the course of the weekend; mainly A roads with some B road and motorway driving.

Fuel economy is unchanged from BP Ultimate (averaged 25 - 26 MPG with air con running the whole time) and the performance feels exactly the same. I'll do another tank of V-Power after this one just to make sure that I'm getting a fair representation but I see no reason to change based on my experience of it so far.

55L of vpower on saturday morning. 360 miles later ive got a quarter tank left. 100(kph) the whole way to inters on cruise control with air con on... cos my car is a pro

then to brum and then back to essex, 80 (mph this time) on cruise with AC the whole way, and i still get heroic mpg

previous owner only got 350 miles per tank driving normally.

shows you what difference you get the the car is properly sorted.

I let my petrol tank run down to the DIS showing 10 miles left, filled up £30 worth of V-power and there is a definate difference to the regular 95Ron, the car seems more responsive although I haven't noticed an increase in mpg, but that might be something to do with the car feeling more responsive :eyebrows:.
I'll fill the whole tank up next time and see if i get better mpg over the whole tank.

Put my first tank of Vpower in yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to log the ignition timing on my Tesco 99 fuel in this heat. I have some old logs but I need to do testing at the same outside temp really. Anyway I cant notice a difference as of yet but the ECU might need a fair few miles to adjust to the new fuel.

I let my petrol tank run down to the DIS showing 10 miles left, filled up £30 worth of V-power and there is a definate difference to the regular 95Ron, the car seems more responsive although I haven't noticed an increase in mpg, but that might be something to do with the car feeling more responsive :eyebrows:.
I'll fill the whole tank up next time and see if i get better mpg over the whole tank.

You'll need to give the car time to adjust as well, and 1 tank isn't really enough.

Your fuel trims that have been built up on the ECU are most likely incorrect now you are using a higher octane rated fuel, and they take a litte time to adjust.

Unless you have VAG COM, in which case you can go and clear fault codes (even if there are none) to reset the block 032 fuel trims back to 0.0%. They will then adjust to the new fuel from there.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I changed my fuel filter on Saturday (finally).

I've had it since rebuilding the engine and never got round to it.

Anyway, popped the old one off, and replaced with new. The one coming off was clearly original as the jubilee clip was absolutely shot to bits!

Well, what a difference. The car immediately feels more puncy, and a lot happier about having the loud pedal applied.

I have been concerned about my fuel filter for a while, as have run it low on fuel a bit recently and that tends to drag all the crap from the bottom of the tank through it, blocking it up.

Anyway - fuel filter IS NOT on the Audi service schedule IIRC meaning that you have to do it yourself.

I got mine from here: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/A...5cf408a87f6693a3a550f11f58b292edbd9ea148&FUEF

For Less than £5 delivered, DO IT!

Unless you have VAG COM, in which case you can go and clear fault codes (even if there are none) to reset the block 032 fuel trims back to 0.0%. They will then adjust to the new fuel from there.

I didn't know that but thats a neat trick, I might do this tonight. Do you just do a full scan and clear all faults?

Alternatively you can leave your battery disconnected for a few hours and this will put the ECU into learn mode.

I didn't know that but thats a neat trick, I might do this tonight. Do you just do a full scan and clear all faults?.

Just do the engine controller rather than Auto Scan. Go into the engine controller, check fault codes, and clear.

Alternatively you can leave your battery disconnected for a few hours and this will put the ECU into learn mode.

Make sure you have stereo code....

It will still take a few miles to sort itself, BUT, it will be less than allowing it to adapt by itself.

You'll need to give the car time to adjust as well, and 1 tank isn't really enough.

Your fuel trims that have been built up on the ECU are most likely incorrect now you are using a higher octane rated fuel, and they take a litte time to adjust.

Good to Know! I'll bare that in mind and be patient. I guess VAGCOM doesnt work on Macs?

Good to Know! I'll bare that in mind and be patient. I guess VAGCOM doesnt work on Macs?

Not sure as have never tried it to be fair. Does the mac have a PC emulator? If so you should be able to run it from the virtual machine using the correct COM port for the USB <-> Serial cable.