V power diesel, again

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my latest dalliance with V-power diesel.
Again, I only used it because it was the only pump free.
Put about £45 quid in, from nearly empty to full.
'Miles to empty' stuck at 425 miles, no matter what I did.
Much lower than normal, wouldn't budge.
Filled it up again with normal diesel this weekend, same amount.
Miles to empty reads 575.
Honestly, I don't know what V-power does to the car, but it sure as hell confuses it.
Aside from the apparent loss of tank range, the car was 'hunting' on V-power again, with trying to hold 30mph being a surging pain (any DSG option).
'orrible,'orrible stuff!

did you record how many miles you actually got from the tank? I rarely do but in the event that I remember to reset the trip odo I find the DIS miles to empty and the actual miles I get quite different

Also, when I've been driving and fill up, DIS shows 520-550 miles to empty, when the missus drives for a few days, its usually 650 plus,

No, I didn't bother.
Just noticed the unusually low 'miles to empty' reading, plus the surging I noticed before.
Only vacant pump or not, I definitely won't bother with it again.

Miles to empty is calculated using the current ave mpg so it will vary depending on how it has been driven to that point.

Odd that you get hunting issues though. Mine runs fine on it.

Paul

I use the standard shell stuff, it covers around 440 on 50 litres although when I filled up it told me 545. It lies I tell you !

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Miles to empty is calculated using the current ave mpg so it will vary depending on how it has been driven to that point.

True, but there was no variable in this scenario at all.
Just me driving the car, doing the same journeys.
Just an instant drop of 100(ish) miles in fuel range.
Very weird.
Out of sheer nosiness, why do you use it?

how much is it now? never tried it, the normal stuff is expensive enough!

Similiar experiences to bowfer.

Used when it was the only empty pump - I now know which one to avoid at my garage - I only knew it had changed to the even more expensive stuff after Id filled up!. Miles to go lower than normal. No discernable difference in power or economy (slightly lower economy).

Matt said:
how much is it now? never tried it, the normal stuff is expensive enough!

I'm sure it was around £1.10 a litre, with normal stuff being around £1.05.

Don't run it currently as it is so damn expensive.

I found it ran smoother and smoked less.

I couldn't really tell any difference at all between normal and v-power diesel. Don't believe the hype I tell thee :noway:

Couldn't tell any difference. If you ask the guys on Tyresmoke, they seem to think it's wonderful.

Meh, IMO it's just like dog food with pasta in it.
Serves no purpose other than to make the owner feel better about themselves.

SteveTDCi said:
when I filled up it told me 545. It lies I tell you !

I once saw 830 miles after a fillup on mine! Thought it had filled the boot too! I usually get about the 450 mark to the tank on normal bp diesel. What I've noticed on mine is that the needle moves a lot faster for the 1st half of the tank. Up to the half way mark I get about 160 miles and I get the rest on the other half. Anyelse get this?

nope I get a little over 300 miles from the 1st half then about 200 from the 2nd half

Thats what I had in my previous cars. Slow to start and moves quicker when closer to the red. But I fill up in the A3 (with about 5 more clicks at the pump) and within 5 miles the needle moves off full!

I find the same, takes me 100 miles before the needle starts to move ( I do tend to brim the tank though), but usually 550 a tank.
As for V-power diesel, nothing like v-power petrol, which has higher octane, there is no equivalent in diesel though, it is just a bit cleaner and fewer deposits over time.

can understand the reasoning in using higher octane in petrol engines but weasle engines cannot adjust advance so don't see the point in filling up with premium derv

could be miles off here so if someone with better knowledge of it all has an idea I'd like to hear about it :)

Something that I got told was that yes higher octane is better for petrol engines but not for diesels. Apparently the lower the octane for diesels the better (to a certain extent). If there is high octane in diesel it doesn't combust properly... or so I got told! No idea on how accurate this is. I'm sure if I'm wide off the mark someone will correct me.