1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using laptop screen for pc

Discussion in 'Home Cinema, Hi-Fi and Gadgets' started by colintdi, Aug 28, 2008.

1. colintdi

colintdi Member

Hi could any one help me out, I've recently bought a new laptop and was wanting to keep my old pc tower. But use my laptop as the keyboard as a screen etc. Can this be done??

I'm wanting to bin every thing that belongs to the pc, bar the tower unit to save me loading programs I only use once in a while and to store my music etc.

Is this possible and if so how?:sos:
  2. Kontraband

Kontraband Active Member

urm, quickly off the top of my head, yes.

I dont think you can use the laptop screen as a incoming monitor for an external box tho... only use the laptop screen AND push the screen to another monitor/tv/projector etc.

I guess the easiest way to do it tho would need it on the network and you to RDP or VNC in to it etc. That would mean you could leave it anywhere in the house so long as its hooked up to the network and has power. No need for a screen or keyboard?
  3. colintdi

colintdi Member

The network wouldn't work as i still need some why of turning the pc on with out the keyboard
  4. dsmclark40v

dsmclark40v Member

you could have it plugged into the network and with laplink software running on both so you see the desktop of the tower on your laptop. or you could plug the tower into a plasma or lcd screen and get a wireless keyboard like this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/104608 or like kontraband says you could leave it on the network switched on and you would be able to access files and music over the network through windows explorer.
  5. tracer

tracer '96 a4 1.8 se

if its just the information you need off the tower pc then buy an external usb hard drive and transfer the info onto there. 500 gig usb drives are cheap a chips now.

or take the hard drive out of the tower and plug it into something like this... http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136214

yer gonna end up with cables for most options though. best doing what kontraband already said, just keep the tower switched on somewhere in the house and setup a network.
  6. colintdi

colintdi Member

thanks for the help, don't fancy leaving the pc on all the time. i think i'll just get an external usb hard drive and get rind of the pc. It will save any hassel.