1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

User Review: EBC Brakes - Ultimax Discs and Yellowstuff Pads

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Reload, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Reload

Reload Bird is the Word!

[Jun 12, 2012]
    I recently had to pay a visit to my local Audi stealer as my bonnet catch was broken (yes, I did search on the forums here and tried the advice but unfortunately to no avail). Audi did their usual health check and highlighted the front and rear discs / pads were near the end of their useful life. Cost to replace - £840; obviously I found this quite amusing! :lmfao:

Off I toddle to my favourite local Indy for a quote and the technician suggested EBC brakes. Now I've heard the stories other people have about pads breaking up and bad workmanship, how much is true and how much is Urban myth I really couldn't say. However, after personal testimonial from their tech who has them fitted to his 8L S3 I decided to try them. The added bonus was the fact that the discs, pads and brake fluid change as a bonus undercut Audi by over £200. I dropped my car off in the morning and collected in the afternoon with a spanking new set of Ultimax slotted discs and Yellowstuff pads. Initial thoughts were 'good bite' , may have been due in part to the new fluid as well so these are my impressions after a couple of hundred miles in them.

Firstly the Yellowstuff pads are racing spec, however, their bite from cold is spot on with no requirement to warm them up first to get decent stopping power and no brake squeel either, not a peep out of them. There is some brake dust, no worse than the OEM pads and will hopefully improve over time, it's not a show stopper though. As they've now bedded in properly I felt confident to test them a bit more vigorously with a few rapid 60 - 0 tests. I can say without fear of reprisal these brakes are damn good! Whatever problems EBC (may) have had in the past seem to be just that now, in the past. Compared to OEM it felt like an F-14 stopping on a carrier arrestor wire! Unfortunately this did highlight the fact that the standard S3 suspension is a bit bouncy, the front dips somewhat noticably!

I can't compare EBC to other manufacturers as I have no personal experience in the others, all I can state is they are a big improvement over OEM and a decent and relatively inexpensive upgrade if your brakes are near the end of their useful life. They receive a big thumbs up and recommendation from me. :applaus:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. GNJ_Motorsport

GNJ_Motorsport Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Jun 13, 2012]
    Good review mate. I have to say that we are yet to get a complaint about any EBC brakes we have sold.
  4. poli84

poli84 Member

[Jun 13, 2012]
    Interesting review there mate.
    I'm running EBC Yellowstuff on my S3 as well and I have mixed feelings but my opinion is improving.

My first true experience with them was on the track and i don't think they were bedded in correctly.
    No bite what so ever and really poor braking feel and effectiveness. I was very pissed off that I went with EBC after my mechanics recommendation.

Since then, I feel they have bedded in much better and honestly for the road, i can't fault them any more.
    No squeal, they feel tight and have been great even on some great country sprints. Still not the bite I was chasing after driving an R32 with Ferodo DS2500 (and my original wish for new pads) but looking forward to my next track day next month to test them out.
  5. _GRP_

_GRP_ A3 2.0TDI Sportback S-Line

[Jun 14, 2012]
    Reload. Where/who did you get the disks/pads from? I'm in a similar situation and seems a fair price.
    George
  6. Reload

Reload Bird is the Word!

[Jun 14, 2012]
    From a place called sports tech in Ilkeston, Nottingham. They also did my cambelt and water pump in April for a good price as well. Give Alex a ring and see what he can do for you